I-II-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 08:51 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts

Default Accuracy of Tab Books

http://www.amazon.com/Van-Halen-Diff...d+of+truth+tab

Read the review of this book. Is it that bad? I was going to order it but after reading that...then again it's one man's opinion.

I know nothings going to be 100% accurate. I'm usually looking for something to get me close. I know Ed's playing enough to fill in the blanks.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

pretty much all of them
    Last Online

04.02.13 @ 10:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't looked at the book but most of the time its the right notes but just not in the right position in the fretboard as EVH plays it.

Thats just the way guitar tab is since there are multiple ways to play the same thing with a few exceptions.

Does it make it horribly wrong because its not in the same exact position as EVH plays it? Not necessarily as long as it sounds right . Of course when certain techniques are involved like double stops or pinch harmonics thats where positions make more of an issue. But thats all in my opinion.

I personally think its fun, challenging, and rewarding to learn a piece of music by ear and then watch the artist play it to get a better idea how its done. You'll realize that sometimes you learned things in a different way or a more difficult way than it should be done.
    What do you mean i dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:05 AM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

It's pretty inaccurate. Definitely the worst VH tab book.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

The only tabs in the book I would call close would be Outta Space and Tattoo. The rest I can't get a handle on the way they are tabbed out in the book. Maybe I just suck.

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

I don't have the book, but I'd suggest that the haste with which it was released would definitely contribute to any inaccuracies.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:07 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 97 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike529 View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Van-Halen-Diff...d+of+truth+tab

Read the review of this book. Is it that bad? I was going to order it but after reading that...then again it's one man's opinion.

I know nothings going to be 100% accurate. I'm usually looking for something to get me close. I know Ed's playing enough to fill in the blanks.
    Tattoo, YAYB and She's the Woman are pretty close. I haven't really looked closely at the rest of the songs. dreidel had a pretty good tab for Blood and Fire and As Is that seem completely different from the official VH tab book.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 18,138 Times in 8,962 Posts

That is why I don't buy tab books.

You can find a gazillion tabs for free on the internet to use and figure out what sounds right.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 18,138 Times in 8,962 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    Tattoo, YAYB and She's the Woman are pretty close. I haven't really looked closely at the rest of the songs. dreidel had a pretty good tab for Blood and Fire and As Is that seem completely different from the official VH tab book.
    It's been a while since I have looked at the ADKOT tabs, but I believe there are two versions of the As Is tab out there. One the way Ed plays it, and one with an alternate tuning that makes it easier for us mortals.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.24.13 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I own the book and I don't think it is bad. As "badhorsie" said, if you pick upon the different fingering positions songs are tabbed out than you probably looking for errors. We can all go on youtube and watch Ed play it (if there is a video of it) and fill in the blanks. But the book gives you a very good Idea imo, same with all the other Van Halen tab books I have.
    If you don't want to spend hours trying figure out what he plays, then this book will defo help you.
    btw what is wrong with the verse riff of Blood and Fire?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

I honestly gave up on most tab books years ago. I've seen so many major inaccuracies over the years, and honestly some are downright frustrating. Especially when you go out to buy one in a pinch to learn a song in a hurry. For instance, and I don't play VH live with the exception of a couple tunes, a buddy lent me a few of his VH tab books, but knowing how Ed actually plays certain things, I was real surprised that some of these books get it so wrong. He plays a lot of chords unconventionally, muting some notes, adding others, or simply two noting with a lot of open strings here and there, on a lot of passages. So it really surprised me to see full traditional/conventional chords in place of how he actually does it.

Another example was when I was reading some tab to ABB's Midnight Rider.
    Now that one was funny because the kind of pedal steel sounding section in the solo was totally wrong. I mean not even in the ball park, and not even a notation of slide at all.
    That was the day I pretty much washed my hands of tab.
    If I wanna learn something.... (God bless the internets)......... I just hit up YouTube or whatever and try to find some good live performances.
    I have better luck with that than any recent tab I've seen even in some of the guitar mags.
    It still can get you in the ballpark I guess...but I just don't find it very enjoyable to try to learn things, paying a fair amount for these books, and having such mediocre effort in transcribing put into them.
    Last edited by we die young; 09.27.12 at 10:38 AM.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

02.15.16 @ 02:56 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

When Tab first came out you could see what a helpful toll it was going to be for those of us who cant read but a lot of early stuff was really bad. I can still remember Hells Bells transcribed with the most difficult voicings for the intro, which correctly is quite simple. If you want to learn some Vanhalen tunes buy the Licklibrary DVD's by Jamie Humphries who besides being an excellent player and transcriber is a huge fan of Ed's and does pretty much spot on work. He just completed vol 3.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Yeah. I mean I can read music, but I can't sight read on the fly well anymore. It's been years. When I took piano as a kid, the focus on reading was just as paramount as playing the instrument.
    Many younger players think sheet music is dead. It IS more thorough than tab though.
    I started to read sheet music when I first started with guitar, but that went out the window pretty quick. I'm self taught, and I just never had the patience to read music when I could usually just listen and pick things up pretty well.

That said, I always had a good ear, and not unlike Ed did, I was quicker at learning stuff on piano by listening and memorizing the actual music, so for full compositions I would just do that, and play in class, but for one on one exercises, I had to read. I'm pretty sure my teacher knew I was doing that, haha. He gave me pretty good support though, and didn't hassle me too bad about things. Always said I had a good ear.

either way, tab or sheet music is still useful for learning stuff, but I just wish there was more accuracy. I actually wonder how much computers are part of the equasion now.
    I have transcribing software that writes notation as I play....it's not always bang on either, especially with oddball chords. sometimes even screws with the notes. G's sometimes get confused for E's, or B's.
    weird stuff!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.20.16 @ 05:54 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    It's pretty inaccurate. Definitely the worst VH tab book.
    Absolutely. Anyone who knows Eds playing will likely have the tab books to refer to in order to fill in the blanks or save time if they dont want to learn by ear but its clear that the guys who tabbed this book are clueless. The older ones ones for VH1/2 FW/DD are really good. It would be one thing is this new book simply had wrong positions and fingering but there is a lot of stuff that is simply wrong note wise and that stinks for someone who bought it to learn the stuff from scratch. Big thumbs down for this one

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:05 AM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jps5150 View Post
    Absolutely. Anyone who knows Eds playing will likely have the tab books to refer to in order to fill in the blanks or save time if they dont want to learn by ear but its clear that the guys who tabbed this book are clueless. The older ones ones for VH1/2 FW/DD are really good. It would be one thing is this new book simply had wrong positions and fingering but there is a lot of stuff that is simply wrong note wise and that stinks for someone who bought it to learn the stuff from scratch. Big thumbs down for this one
    Exactly it's not the fingerings it's wrong notes....everywhere.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 PM
    Liked 3,114 Times in 1,825 Posts

Premium Member

Who remembers the 3 tab book that tabbed out a whammy pedaled, tapped intro to Without You when it was just Ed with a US quarter...?

Could you imagine breaking the news to the guy who wasted his time writing that out?