All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 PM
    Liked 1,963 Times in 444 Posts

Donor

Default VHND’s official rules for posting comments

For those of you who occasionally read the comments section of VHND, You might have noticed that we've been having some problems with trolls and people doing a lot of off topic socializing. We finally wrote up some "official rules for posting comments".

The main thing we did was require anybody to register with a valid email address in order to post comments. That should pretty much solve the troll problem. And the socializing has pretty much ended… we were getting up to hundreds of posts in each story of nothing but off-topic small talk. If anyone was annoyed by that stuff, things should be better now.

People seem to like the rules so far. It got me thinking… are there any official rules for commenting on VHLinks?

VHND’s Official Rules For Posting Comments

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:51 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post
    For those of you who occasionally read the comments section of VHND, You might have noticed that we've been having some problems with trolls and people doing a lot of off topic socializing. We finally wrote up some "official rules for posting comments".

The main thing we did was require anybody to register with a valid email address in order to post comments. That should pretty much solve the troll problem. And the socializing has pretty much ended… we were getting up to hundreds of posts in each story of nothing but off-topic small talk. If anyone was annoyed by that stuff, things should be better now.

People seem to like the rules so far. It got me thinking… are there any official rules for commenting on VHLinks?

VHND’s Official Rules For Posting Comments
    Pretty much a free for all here.
    But I like it.
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:18 PM
    Liked 7,853 Times in 4,586 Posts

Premium Member

With all due respect, those rules come off as straight up censorship, and a little bit arrogant, IMO.

Thank God for the Links and the moderators who's job it is to police and to tamp down a heated discussion, when need be. It has served this site very well.

This cracks me up:

No one under the age of 18 is permitted to post a comment
    Okay, we admit, we have no way of knowing if you’re under 18. But you must act like a mature adult and use proper spelling and grammar and make us think you’re at least 18. Please refrain from juvenile behavior, and the use of extra exclamation points or other symbols. Otherwise, your comment could be deleted. Also, please know the difference between your (belongs to you) and you’re (you are) and between there (refers to a place), their (belongs to them), and they’re (they are). Bad grammar makes you look dumb and lessens your credibility.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    With all due respect, those rules come off as straight up censorship, and a little bit arrogant, IMO.

Thank God for the Links and the moderators who's job it is to police and to tamp down a heated discussion, when need be. It has served this site very well.

This cracks me up:

No one under the age of 18 is permitted to post a comment
    Okay, we admit, we have no way of knowing if you’re under 18. But you must act like a mature adult and use proper spelling and grammar and make us think you’re at least 18. Please refrain from juvenile behavior, and the use of extra exclamation points or other symbols. Otherwise, your comment could be deleted. Also, please know the difference between your (belongs to you) and you’re (you are) and between there (refers to a place), their (belongs to them), and they’re (they are). Bad grammar makes you look dumb and lessens your credibility.

I think Jeff spelled out pretty clearly and sensibly why some rules were put in place. Nothing arrogant or "censorship" about it. He's keeping the topics on topic and respectful. Not sure why that would bother you.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    I think Jeff spelled out pretty clearly and sensibly why some rules were put in place. Nothing arrogant or "censorship" about it. He's keeping the topics on topic and respectful. Not sure why that would bother you.
    The part I bolded is the arrogant part that I'm referring to.

Because someone might not know the proper grammar to use, he's going to delete out of some pet peeve? Whatever.

As far as the other rules go, it's all subjective. It doesn't matter anyways, it's his site and he can do as he pleases. It doesn't bother me, I'm just commenting.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

The part I bolded is the arrogant part that I'm referring to.

Because someone might not know the proper grammar to use, he's going to delete out of some pet peeve? Whatever.

As far as the other rules go, it's all subjective. It doesn't matter anyways, it's his site and he can do as he pleases. It doesn't bother me, I'm just commenting.
    Jeff's site is pretty different from a dedicated forum like this. Comments on his site to each article is similar to what you would see on youtube or news sites.
    You get a level of juvenile trolling you don't see at a place like this nearly as often.

Have you ever spoken to Jeff? He's a straight up nice guy and arrogance doesn't seem to fit at all. Cutting out extreme ignorant bullshit from his site is the motivation. If he wanted to just censor things and remove comments he doesn't need an "excuse" like grammar to do so. He could remove and censor as he wished. I think you're off base with your assumptions. No harm no foul just saying.
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 09.20.12 at 07:52 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

VNHD ?

Me iz tinks dat dem rooze aint not no fair, coz me makes da commant end than them not makes it get s showed up on the interwebs, and den me not no find my commentment in the next day their on da Von Howlin websites thingy.

Me is thinds zat aint not no fair, cuz Im new ands still learnaning.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Me iz tinks dat dem rooze aint not no fair, coz me makes da commant end than them not makes it get s showed up on the interwebs, and den me not no find my commentment in the next day their on da Von Howlin websites thingy.

Me is thinds zat aint not no fair, cuz Im new ands still learnaning.
    Iz dat u Uncle Dolan?

*Waiting to see if anyone knows the Dolan meme*

Edit- I like the changes VHND is making. There have been so many unnecessary insults, it just ruins the fun of the site. Hopefully these new rules clear everything up.
    Last edited by JakeK21; 09.20.12 at 07:57 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    Jeff's site is pretty different from a dedicated forum like this. Comments on his site to each article is similar to what you would see on youtube or news sites.
    You get a level of juvenile trolling you don't see at a place like this nearly as often.

Have you ever spoken to Jeff? He's a straight up nice guy and arrogance doesn't seem to fit at all. Cutting out extreme ignorant bullshit from his site is the motivation. If he wanted to just censor things and remove comments he doesn't need and "excuse" like grammar to do so. He could remove and censor as he wished. I think you're off base with your assumptions. No harm no foul just saying.
    "Bad grammar makes you look dumb and lessens your credibility"

We're not having Mensa like conversations on these sites. We're talking about a rock-n-roll band.

So a poster can make valid points that are precise, cogent, and well thought out but he or she looks dumb and has less credibility because they used your instead of you're?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

We're not having Mensa like conversations on these sites. We're talking about a rock-n-roll band.

So a poster can make valid points that are precise, cogent, and well thought out but he or she looks dumb and has less credibility because they used your instead of you're?
    Well, yeah
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

You're serious?

I don't post there but I visit often and have seen some of the stuff he's talking about. He gets comments there that would get someone banned here instantly. He's trying to keep it free of the childish crap that is rampant all over the net which includes extreme trolling and overuse of net slang, shorthand, all caps etc. That's all I see when reading it.

A respectful poster that types your instead of you're doesn't have anything to worry about... but some may be thankful that he pointed out a common mistake people make...at least on the net. It's a heads up. Look at it as a public service announcement of sorts. lol

I think what he said was great. May force some to take an extra second to not always post like an immature l33t internet dweeb etc. That really is the point. Seems obvious.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by evhisagod View Post
    Well, yeah
    I guess it would matter if YOUR anal about that kind of stuff.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    You're serious?
    Yes I'm dead serious. Unless your an English teacher, who gives a shit how one uses they're, there, their, your, and you're unless it bothers one personally.

I will agree though, there is a lot of crap and immaturity on sites like these.

Some vile stuff out there for sure.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

A good example was after the news about Edwards recent surgery, it was mostly good positive well wishers, but I noticed some comments that were dispicable. Its good to remove the nonsense.

While the tour was in full swing, Id read the YouTube comments while watching the video on occasion, and I wanted to kill some of those jerkoff douchbags for some of the stuff they were saying, especially about Dave.

I was foolish to make comments of my own to respond to them, as my YouTube was connected to my email, so Id get an email notice , then check it thinking its someone that I know, only to find out that some smartass twerp sent me an antagonizing message to taunt me, as it was all connected with Google.

This drove me nuts until I made the proper adjustments and stopped commenting on YouTube. This is one instance where censorship is good.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I don't really get the whole deal with having a comments section for a news story whether it be over at the VHND, Yahoo, MSN, etc...

If people want to discuss a story, go to a forum to discuss it.

In our internet society, it's almost assumed that everything has to be open for comment...

I figure if the comments section is causing problems, eliminate it all together... Why not be different??? Will the readership go down because people can't comment anymore??? Who knows? Will ad revenue go down because of it??? I can't say...

Just food for thought...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60