Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Default Senate Republicans Shaft the Vets

More Vile Election BS - Enjoy

Posted: 09/20/2012 6:49 am

The young men and women who serve in our military return from fighting in the longest wars in American history to the worst jobs market in generations. They suffer higher unemployment rates than the general population: over one in ten is officially counted as unemployed -- and that does not include those who have stopped looking for work or are forced to work part-time.

So yesterday, in one final vile act before adjournment for the elections, Senate Republicans used a point of order to block passage of the Veterans Jobs Corps proposal that would have provided a modest $1 billion to hire veterans to tend federal lands or gain priority in hiring at police and fire departments. The bill was crafted with bipartisan support. 58 Senators supported the bill, but Republicans put together the 40 votes needed to block its passage.

Why shaft the very veterans whose service politicians sanctimoniously celebrate at every occasion?

Is it because unemployed veterans are part of Mitt Romney's scorned 47 percent?

Unemployed, they pay no taxes. They may feel they are "entitled" to the health care benefits they are guaranteed. Many take advantage of training and education benefits. Perhaps Republican senators simply didn't want to help these "victims" feel entitled to a job in addition. (Of course, contrary to Mitt's idiotic election strategery, like seniors, these "victims" tend to vote more Republican than Democratic)

Or is it because Senate Republicans remain committed to block any action that will produce jobs in their monomaniacal effort to make Barack Obama a one-term president. In the midst of the worst recession in generations, Republican Senate leader Mitch McConnell famously announced at the beginning of the term that "the single most important thing we want to achieve is for President Obama to be a one-term president."

Republicans then launched a scorched earth policy of obstruction, using the filibuster to block everything they could. They worked overtime to weaken the president's initial recovery act, cutting its size and larding it with ineffective tax cuts. Once Republicans took the House, they joined in blocking additional jobs measures, including most recently the president's American Jobs Act, while forcing cuts in spending that cost jobs. And then, of course, they denounce the president for failing to fix the economy.

Or perhaps Senate Republicans are simply fools, not knaves. Conservative Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma explained his vote against putting unemployed veterans to work by arguing that making progress on the nation's debt was the best way to help them in the long-term. "We ought to do nothing now that makes the problem worse for our kids and grandkids," he said. "In the run," as John Maynard Keynes once said, "we are all dead" -- a comment that gains grim meaning as the Defense Department reports that a veteran are killing themselves at the rate of one every 80 minutes

These are the same Republicans who squandered over three trillion dollars on the unfunded "war of choice" in Iraq. And now spending a billion on the veterans who risked their lives in that folly imposes too big a burden on our grandchildren. This is disgraceful politics. Naturally, the two Republican senators in close re-election races -- Scott Brown in Massachusetts and Dean Heller of Nevada -- were given permission to vote for the bill. The rest either are in safe seats or assume that Americans will forget by the time they come up for re-election. They'll salute the troops, march in the parades, celebrate the returning heroes, and call for larding more billions into the Pentagon. But a small jobs programs for veterans in need of work? Not this year, not before the election.
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,160 Times in 8,975 Posts

The veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan might have gotten the shaft more than any other vetersan in US history.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

They only "support" the troops by creating more wars for them to die in.

...once they get home, they get the big middle finger....they don't make enough money to count to Republitards.
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 1,013 Posts

Premium Member

Senator rips Obama’s new veterans jobs plan

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/0...corps-091212w/

By Rick Maze - Staff writer
    Posted : Wednesday Sep 12, 2012 16:56:08 EDT
    One of the Senate’s chief deficit hawks complained Wednesday that politicians were making false promises of jobs to veterans by discussing a bill that will never become law — and would provide only temporary work for veterans if it did.

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., was referring to S 3457, the Veterans Job Corps Act, which would devote $1 billion over five years to creating law enforcement, firefighter and conservation jobs for veterans.

The underlying idea is that once veterans are trained, some would find permanent employment.

The measure, a pre-election priority for President Obama, was brought to the Senate floor for consideration without going through the normal legislative process.

But Coburn noted that the legislation is “not going anywhere in the House of Representatives” and charged that “what we are really doing is passing a bill for political reasons.”

The Senate took up the measure on Tuesday after a 95-1 procedural vote to at least begin debate, but it is unclear if any amendments will be considered or when a vote on final passage might come.

Coburn said he doesn’t see the need for another expensive program like this. “We already have six veterans’ job programs. Not one of them has a metric on it to see if it is working. There has not been one hearing to see what the jobs program that we are running now are doing.

“Is this about veterans or is this about politicians?” Coburn said. “I suspect it is about politicians. I suspect it is about elections, not veterans.”

Veterans already have hiring preference for permanent government jobs, he said, which are better than the temporary positions envisioned under the Veterans’ Jobs Corps bill.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

This is the oldest trick in politics: You create a crap bill that sounds great on the surface but has fundamental flaws, bring it to a vote, and force the other side to look like they don't care about veterans, women, children, seniors, etc.

Why do so many people continue to fall for this garbage? Do you really think an entire political party--either party--would be that evil? Seriously, do you really think that?

It's just as frustrating to hear people say: "Obama is trying to destroy America!" Really? Do you think he really wants to destroy America, or do you just think his policies suck?
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

I know, and since we are close to the endgame this stuff will worsen before it gets better

Thankfully football started again so I can watch something better than the talking heads lying to each other every night
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 1,013 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    This is the oldest trick in politics: You create a crap bill that sounds great on the surface but has fundamental flaws, bring it to a vote, and force the other side to look like they don't care about veterans, women, children, seniors, etc.

Why do so many people continue to fall for this garbage? Do you really think an entire political party--either party--would be that evil? Seriously, do you really think that?

It's just as frustrating to hear people say: "Obama is trying to destroy America!" Really? Do you think he really wants to destroy America, or do you just think his policies suck?
    That's why I posted the article.