Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 11,769 Times in 6,520 Posts

Premium Member

Default AEROSMITH Guitarist Says He Is A 'Definite Old-School Republican' - Sep. 19, 2012

AEROSMITH guitarist Joe Perry recently told AOL's Noisecreep that he's a "definite old-school Republican" who believes that politics has become more about branding than ideas. As he explained, "I was taught that you get what you put into it. You can be anything you want to be if you work hard enough at it, and you can earn your place. That's the old way. Now, it's all meshed together and you can barely figure out one side from the other."

He continued, "My favorite president was actually John Kennedy. Oh, and Eisenhower. I don't think we've had anyone like those guys since Reagan, but you need somebody you can believe in.

"Look, I didn't believe in everything Kennedy said or did, but you believed in your heart that he was really there and he was going to stand up for what he believed in. That's what is most important. Today they say one thing one day, and another thing another day. You can't figure these guys out.

"The bottom line is I'm a definite old school Republican and you can put that in there. I was one of the few people that came out for McCain and got a lot of shit for it.

"There's an awful lot of people out there in L.A. that were jumping up and down for Obama that aren't right now. It's just what it is. So much of this stuff is politicizing, what the media does is so much about selling a product. It makes me kind of nuts.

"This band has always has had a policy we're all pretty much on the same page when new start talking politics. We all came up in that era when you were taught that can do anything you set your minds to and by God we walked on the moon, just like JFK said we would."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news.asp...sitemID=179667
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all
    Favorite VH Song

Romney's Cryin'
    Last Online

02.26.13 @ 07:34 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

"I was taught that you get what you put into it. You can be anything you want to be if you work hard enough at it, and you can earn your place..."

I wish that were true...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 4,805 Times in 2,453 Posts

Premium Member

Sounds like he is a Rockefeller Republican. Unfortunately those are a dying breed like a Reagan Democrat.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:45 PM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 1,011 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by FredSavage View Post
    "I was taught that you get what you put into it. You can be anything you want to be if you work hard enough at it, and you can earn your place..."

I wish that were true...
    Pretty much.

The key is finding your strengths and building success with it. We all have our limitations.

It is funny that Joe says this considering no band sold out to corporate rock in 80's more than them.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Fairly obvious points but still spot on. Politics and corruption is at an all-time low in this country. If you think Washington DC gives a shit about you you're fucking crazy.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,147 Times in 8,966 Posts

I wish that were true...
    How is not true? It's not a guarantee of success, but I will guarantee that you have zero percent chance of success if you don't work hard at it.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 6,694 Times in 3,714 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    How is not true? It's not a guarantee of success, but I will guarantee that you have zero percent chance of success if you don't work hard at it.
    Most people can't be anything they want to be. But that's not the point. The point is if you work hard you can be successful and that's still the truth.

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all
    Favorite VH Song

Romney's Cryin'
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I put in bold the answer to your own question. One can't be anything that one wants to be in life, just by wishing for it and working hard. I could want to be a quarterback for The Jets, and I could practice everyday, and pray and wish as hard as I could, and it's still not going to happen. Or, to look at something at a smaller scale, a kid could dream of owning his own business, he could go to business school, he could devote all of his time, heart and soul into a new restaurant/store/bar, whatever, and it could still flop.

Joe sounds like a nice guy, but his sentiments are grossly simplistic. He made it as a rock star, so it's really easy for him to spout such nonsense. I suggest he read the following poem:

A Dream Deferred
    by Langston Hughes

What happens to a dream deferred?

Does it dry up
    like a raisin in the sun?
    Or fester like a sore--
    And then run?
    Does it stink like rotten meat?
    Or crust and sugar over--
    like a syrupy sweet?

Maybe it just sags
    like a heavy load.

Or does it explode?

But you are right, DD, it is still important to work hard because if you don't, you won't be able to reach your goals at all. Unless you are just born rich, that is.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 4,805 Times in 2,453 Posts

Premium Member

Well you are missing the point. I don't think anybody honestly believes that through hard work, perspiration and studying one can be a billionaire. I can mince words with everything. Take our Declaration. All Men are Created Equal. Well that obviously isn't the case because I am 6 feet tall and probably can run a 6 second 40. LBJ is 6'9'' and can run that in 4.4. I physically can't do the things that Paul Gilbert can do on guitar because I have a smaller hand span and my fingers are like sausages. I also don't have a full head of hair which is an undesirable trait but I can tan at such a rate that make women from Jersey jealous.

Anyway you get the point. We are not created equal yet it is the motto of our country. You may not become a CEO of a company, nor a basketball player or the webmaster of a fucked up band with a Dutch surname. However you will get an opportunity and provided you work at it and give it a chance, who knows what will happen. That is the American Dream. We have a lot of Russian Jews here in the Cleveland area and we employ quite a bit here at the company I work at. Talking to a few of the older ones, they would state how based on their test scores in the USSR, they would be forced into professions. We have one women here who was a Biologist yet she hated it. She was good with science but she wanted to know about computers. Now she works for a software developer. That is what people want and why they come here. To choose their own destiny.

Some people though don't want to choose. They want to fuck around and give it about 50%. They figure if they don't make it, the government will come over and pick them up. Don't you wonder why immigrants to this country work harder than us natural borns? It's because they are trying to live the American Dream while the rest of us are watching it go by.

Just my opinion

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Well of course if you start now, but who is to say that if you had begun working your ass off when you were ten years old to be an NFL player, I don't see any reason why you couldn't be. You couldn't be any worse than the two guys they have now at QB.

I personally think in each person is the ability for greatness, it is just whether that person is willing to be put in the work and dedication to achieve it.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all
    Favorite VH Song

Romney's Cryin'
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well of course if you start now, but who is to say that if you had begun working your ass off when you were ten years old to be an NFL player, I don't see any reason why you couldn't be. You couldn't be any worse than the two guys they have now at QB.

I personally think in each person is the ability for greatness, it is just whether that person is willing to be put in the work and dedication to achieve it.
    I doubt that I could ever play professional sports, but thanks for thinking that maybe I could have.

I really wish I had your world view and that I could believe that everyone can achieve greatness at something. I just can't. Some people are just plain mediocre and suck at everything, others just can never find what it is that they are good at, some people are very successful and never did much to earn it. A lot of people are burdened by illness, a family, poverty, etc., and it's really hard for them to move forward. I do agree that hard work and dedication is a big part of life, but a lot of it is just luck.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

We are in full agreement in that most people waste their talents, but I do believe to the core that each person is born with some great purpose, it is just whether they find it and develop it.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 6,694 Times in 3,714 Posts

I doubt that I could ever play professional sports, but thanks for thinking that maybe I could have.

I really wish I had your world view and that I could believe that everyone can achieve greatness at something. I just can't. Some people are just plain mediocre and suck at everything, others just can never find what it is that they are good at, some people are very successful and never did much to earn it. A lot of people are burdened by illness, a family, poverty, etc., and it's really hard for them to move forward. I do agree that hard work and dedication is a big part of life, but a lot of it is just luck.
    maybe those people can be the best at sucking.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    maybe those people can be the best at sucking.
    Isn't that a hooker?

Favorite VH Album

adkot/wacf
    Favorite VH Song

in a simple rhyme/as is
    Last Online

01.15.16 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

I believe that music and politics can and do mix well.You get quite a few people that FREAK out when a musician gives their political views.
    The problem though is lately all the STUPID ones have spoken.