Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 1,013 Posts

Premium Member

Default Was it Right to Force a Ban of Prayer Before a High School Game?

http://snellville.patch.com/articles...gh-school-game

A Wisconsin-based organization threatened Haralson County School District in Georgia with a lawsuit should it continue to pray before school sports. In response, the school district pulled the prayer.

According to Foxnews, the organization, Freedom From Religion Foundation, sent a letter to the school saying that sanctioned prayers violate students’ First Amendment Rights. The lawsuit reportedly applies to all school sponsored events. As a result, the school district has halted all prayer over public announcement speakers. Groups, however, were reported to have prayed in individual circles before Friday night’s football game.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Oh, what bullshit. If that is the case, don't carry or use the US currency since it states 'In God We Trust". Sanctimonious pricks

Might as well throw the Constitution away too

This shit just pisses me off

If these assholes spent more time tending to their own issues instead of making them for others, think how much more could be accomplished
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,160 Times in 8,975 Posts

We need to start realizing as a society that you can't make everyone happy.

In an area that is highly Christian, I don't see a problem with this, as the vast majority of the people would be in favor if it. Other areas of the country probably not. You would think common sense would prevail. But no, too much to expect.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Public schools shouldn't be 'sanctioning' prayer. No group should stop individuals from assembling to pray. It's that fucking simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    Public schools shouldn't be 'sanctioning' prayer. No group should stop individuals from assembling to pray. It's that fucking simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 09:12 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts

A group of cheerleaders from this small Texas town created football run throughs with scripture. The students created the signs and the town supported them yet they are being forced to stop. You can support this school and kids by joining the following group.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/361231933965222/

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...3965222&type=1
    Last edited by Limecuda; 09.18.12 at 06:34 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:27 AM
    Liked 7,884 Times in 4,610 Posts

Premium Member

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...

What is so hard about understanding the last part of the quote?

It doesn't matter where you are, be it in your own home or in public at school, citizens have a right to express their religion.

Rights don't stop at the school door for students and school districts need to stop cowering to the threat of lawsuits.

Our courts are so inconsistent and have done a disservice to the country. On one hand there are religious references everywhere in our government but on the other, someone's thong is bunched up because GASP, students may be praying on public property.

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I know this is professional sport and falls outside of the whole "separation of church and state" thing that everybody likes to cry foul to, but can you imagine if a group like this tried to do it say NASCAR? That might indeed start the 2nd civil war.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:27 AM
    Liked 7,884 Times in 4,610 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by snostorm View Post
    I know this is professional sport and falls outside of the whole "separation of church and state" thing that everybody likes to cry foul to, but can you imagine if a group like this tried to do it say NASCAR? That might indeed start the 2nd civil war.
    Indeed, and the consequences of having to deal with thousands of these guys would not be pretty.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

'Murica! Fuck yea!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 1,013 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    We need to start realizing as a society that you can't make everyone happy.

In an area that is highly Christian, I don't see a problem with this, as the vast majority of the people would be in favor if it. Other areas of the country probably not. You would think common sense would prevail. But no, too much to expect.
    This is actually really close to me.

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Thank you UT for standing up to these wing nuts.

By Todd Starnes

It’s football time in Tennessee where longtime gridiron traditions are cherished – from Rocky Top to the Pride of the Southland Marching Band. At the start of every game inside the colossal Neyland Stadium, thousands of the football faithful rise to their feet, remove their hats and pause for the pre-game prayer.

FOLLOW TODD ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY CULTURE WAR UPDATES. CLICK HERE TO JOIN!

But in recent days the University of Tennessee Knoxville’s pre-game prayer has come under attack. The Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation sent a cease and desist letter to the public university calling for them to abandon the long-time tradition.

“This is a public university, not a Christian club,” wrote Annie Gaylor, co-president of the FFRF in a letter to the chancellor. “When you’re not religious or are of another faith and you get prayed at during events, it’s really very grating.”

“It’s a sock in the gut for you to go for a sporting event and then be told to conform to someone else’s religion,” she said in a story published by the Knoxville News Sentinel.

Chancellor Jimmy Cheek responded by saying the pre-game prayers are protected by the U.S. Constitution and will not be silenced on his campus.

“The university will continue to allow prayers before university events,” he wrote in a letter obtained by Fox News.

Cheek cited a court ruling from the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals that specifically held that “nonsectarian prayer at public university events does not violate the First Amendment.”

And furthermore, Cheek said prayers will also be welcomed at other university events – outside the confines of the football stadium.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reported that the FFRF sent their cease and desist letter on behalf of UT alumni and students who “felt disenfranchised by the prayers.”

“You roll your eyes and say why is this going on at a government-subsidized event?” retired ecologist and FFRF member Bob Craig told the newspaper. “I also see it at all the high school games where they have prayers before games and after games. It’s really out of place. It’s hurting all those people that don’t have that belief and ostracizing them.”

The university’s decision brought praise from Kevin Brooks, a Republican state representative.

“I was at the game on Saturday and actually commented on how thankful I was that we began the game in prayer and how much I enjoyed the halftime musical performance of Amazing Grace,” he told Fox News.

Brooks said it was alarming that an outside organization from Wisconsin would involve itself in the affairs of another state. There is no separation of church and state in the Constitution, he noted.

“I am so thankful that Tennesseans are going to stand up and say this is the Volunteer State and voluntarily we’re going to keep praying,” Brooks said.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes...e-prayers.html