Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Well, theres trees and some houses, I saw a car here once!
    Favorite VH Album

It has a cover, It had some writing on it!
    Favorite VH Song

The one with the guitars, and the lyrics!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When Gary was in the band the van halen website used to have alot of concert footage from the VH III tour. Does anyone know which sites I can go to so I can see these??
    IM IN NEED OF VH3 BOOTLEGS!!!!!!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen did MTV's "On the 10 Spot" which featured about 40 minutes of VH in concert in Australia. I really enjoyed it. The cool thing about Gary Cherone is he performed every VH era song unlike Sammy who practically refused to do "Dave" era songs except for a few. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Ice Cream Man
    Last Online

02.01.07 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Amen! I had never heard Unchained, Romeo Delight, Feel Your Love Tonight, or Somebody Get Me a Doctor live until Gary came around. If Sammy was still in the band, the only Dave era songs we would hear live would be
    Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love, Panama, Jump, and You REally Got Me, which doesn't count since it's a cover (although a really good one).

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sammy did do "Unchained" once, but it was a bummer that all the old Van Halen was forgotten when Sammy was in the band. It would probably be the same way if Dave rejoined the band, except worse -- I can't picture Dave singing any of Sammy's songs.

The strange thing about Cherone is that on VH3 he sounds similar to Sammy but he sounded horrible singing the Sammy era tunes in concert. On the other hand, he sounded great singing the Dave era songs live.
    "Running the ball is like making romance..."

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Well if we do get a reunion with either Dave or Sam we're still going to miss out on some great music. The cool thing about Gary was that he was willing to sing it all. Sammy was always capable of doing more Roth material in concert but for some reason he just wouldn't. When I saw the Balance tour I remember the band playing the opening chords to Runnin with the Devil. How cool would it have been to hear a song like Runnin or Unchained in concert instead of Eagles Fly?
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Unfortunately, Gary was a puppet - never having the stones to say "no" to EVH or AVH. It's a shame, too. Anyone knows you can't ride on a spare tire for long. At some point, you have to have equal footing on all four. Gary just never had a chance.

That said, I saw the Live at the 10 Spot gig from Austrailia and had three thoughts:

1. The band sounded better than they had in years.
    2. Gary's prancing and rolling around was disturbing and distracting. He was CLEARLY trying too hard.
    3. Thank God that they didn't show Ed singing "How Many Say I"
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Did they actually ever play "How Many Say I" live?
    If they did, was it like that scene in the movie "Stand By Me" with that fat kid and the blueberry pie eating contest? [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Can\'t pick just one...
    Favorite VH Song

Every VH song is a tutorial on rhythm guitar!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are six Dave era Van Halen songs that I've heard Sammy sing:

You Really Got Me
    Runnin' With the Devil
    Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love
    Unchained
    Panama
    Jump

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 06:30 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Yes they did play "How Many say I" in concert during the 3 tour. They had a bunch of live performances posted at the VHND and that was one of them. I never bothered to download the track but I have some other stuff they did during the tour ie-Romeo Delight, Humans Being, One I Want etc...
    "It's now officially 5150 time!!!"

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen performed "How Many Say I" for the first time in Houston, TX in the spring of 98. The cool thing is Eddie had his baby grand piano wheeled out on the stage when he did it. Eddie sounds sort of like Roger Watters of Pink Floyd when he sings. I really enjoyed the composition in itself on "How Many Say I". What was even better was VH w/ Cherone kicking ass on all of the old school VH catalog. Sammy who?
    I'm a bit partial to Dave, but don't get me wrong, Sammy expends a lot of his energy in his performances with VH and he always sounded fantastic live. I guess I got the Dave fever when I saw him in Austin in 99 and again on this current Sam/Dave tour in Houston. My 8 year old son thinks that Dave is the greatest!! He got to see the Diamond one at that Houston show with me this past June. Dave rocks!! Too bad it wasn't Eddie, Alex, and Mike up there. That would of been the ultimate!! [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

the next one
    Favorite VH Song

the next one
    Last Online

07.05.08 @ 09:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by wip5150:
    Unfortunately, Gary was a puppet - never having the stones to say "no" to EVH or AVH.
    And you know this how?

Do you really think that Ed was like, "You MUST sing Romeo Delight." and Gary didn't want to but was too afraid to say "no"??

From all the interviews I've read it sounded like Gary was willing to sing them, and the band wanted to play them (they did write them after all) so they did it.

So how do you know any different?

Favorite VH Album

Balance, WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being, Romeo Delight,
    Last Online

02.05.15 @ 12:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Sunday Afternoon:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by wip5150:
    Unfortunately, Gary was a puppet - never having the stones to say "no" to EVH or AVH.
    And you know this how?

Do you really think that Ed was like, "You MUST sing Romeo Delight." and Gary didn't want to but was too afraid to say "no"??

From all the interviews I've read it sounded like Gary was willing to sing them, and the band wanted to play them (they did write them after all) so they did it.

So how do you know any different?
    </font>[/QUOTE]I'm really talking about the recording process, not the live shows.
    "There is a fine line between stupid and clever" - Nigel Tufnel

Imperial Fascist Overlord Down In Flames's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

@
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

"Van Cherone era" is an oxymoron.

Thankfully.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/images/avatars/michael3.jpg

"You are the McCarthy of this board. The witch burner." - strungout, on yours truly

"Only Eddymon would claim victory during a FOUR game losing streak." - OLO

"Did I not say, 'I think we should shoot him!' I did. Double rainbow on this end. I require a high five. Out."- track 5, on the delicate art of banning

"If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire..."

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by wip5150:
    Unfortunately, Gary was a puppet - never having the stones to say "no" to EVH or AVH. It's a shame, too.
    Check out this...

http://www.foundrymusic.com/bands/di...?INTSUBJECT=14

Gary talks about how he wanted to do those songs for the fans since they had not been sung. he put the setlist together. i dont think he was a puppet at all, in fact, he may be the only member of VH, past/present, to give put the fans before there own agenda

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.15.14 @ 05:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by Walter Payton #34:

The strange thing about Cherone is that on VH3 he sounds similar to Sammy but he sounded horrible singing the Sammy era tunes in concert. On the other hand, he sounded great singing the Dave era songs live.
    I thought he did pretty well on all of the stuff he sang live. The band really seemed to phone it in at the show I saw, anyway. They were much better on the ten spot video.

I have heard that Gary had surgery on his vocal chords at some time near his involvement with Van Halen. It must have been quite a struggle. This is conjecture because I don't have the quote handy, however I also heard that Gary was coerced by Eddie into singing more like Sammy at the record companies insistance. I don't know if this is true or not.

Of the tunes on III my favourites are Dirty Water Dog, Without You, and the unreleased "That's Why I Love You". Josephina's a pretty cool tune but the "Can You Shine the light" bit should have been reworked; that part, (like much of III), suffers from what I'll call "meat-loaf-itis".

It's almost like Van Halen was doing an intentional parody of some fictitious hard rock band..."Fire In The Hole" is one of the worst cliché rock songs I have ever heard from a band as accomplished as Van Halen was. It wouldn't have been out of place in Spinal Tap..

The thing is, I don't think it was Gary's fault that III was the farce it turned out to be.

bk
    A headless body in a topless bar...