Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

"When It's Love"
    Last Online

08.31.16 @ 06:17 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Default Different Devil

I said it before and I'll say it again: They really blew it when it comes to "Different Devil."

That song could've been a big hit, but they did next to nothing to promote it. It totally baffles me.

Why no performances on late night (or daytime) talk shows?

Why no video? I know, I know, "They don't play videos on TV any more." Right, but YouTube is a HUGE tastemaker now-a-days. In fact, a survey of teenagers came out not long ago which indicated that the PRIMARY way young people hear music today is on YouTube. They don't listen to the radio. They listen to YouTube. Granted, having a "video" to go along with the song is not necessarily necessary (ha), but it helps. Look at the band Ok Go. They are extremely popular, and they owe all of it to the fact that they made quirky YouTube videos for their songs - videos that went viral. I have friends with the attention spans of circus chimps. They will not sit through a song if the video is a still shot of album art. They will, however, give a song a listen if they are roped in with an entertaining video. Sammy Hagar has more money than god. He most surely could have paid someone to come up with an amazing video that would go viral and generate lsiteners for the song.

Or for fuck's sake, let someone use it in a commercial. I'm ashamed to admit it, but hearing a song in a commercial is very often what turns me on to a new band/song. Just ask the band Fun. They owe all of their success to a commercial.

And believe you me, teenagers are, amazingly, receptive to music made by men over 50. I teach high school, and there are a few guys who absolutely love Chickenfoot. So, trying to garner the song some attention is by no means futile.

I guess what it all comes down to is: Sam, Mike, Joe, Chad - Do you want me to be your new agent? How about just your marketing director? All you have to do is match my measly public school teacher's salary.
    My website: www.timmcnulty.com

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

I thought they did a video for it...I'll have to go back and check my CF podcasts, weren't they on Kimmel or something a few months ago...what song did they do then? I honestly don't remember and can't youtube it.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Maybe it just wasn't a big deal to them to go all out. They're not young bucks just starting out dreaming of making it big someday. Been there done that. They're in it for the love and enjoyment of it. I just don't think the motives are the same anymore.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Maybe it just wasn't a big deal to them to go all out. They're not young bucks just starting out dreaming of making it big someday. Been there done that. They're in it for the love and enjoyment of it. I just don't think the motives are the same anymore.
    I agree.

The other issue I see is that DD is a good song but I don't think it's great by any means. It may be the most "pop" song on the album but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the most commercially appealing.
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.19.13 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a radio hit if there ever was one. Kinda basic, but great song and perfect for Sammy.

But then again, are there any real "hits" anymore in the music business? At least in the ROCK music business? I'm not sure.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

I think you are over estimating the value of Different Devil outside of the fanbase. Sure, we like it, but somebody who isn't a Sam/VH fan would not really care about it, and it isn't such a good song that it will convert anyone.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:43 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

While I'm not a fan of "Different Devil", I saw it's potential on the adult contemporary stations. I think they gave up when it came to promoting the album. It could've been huge, but it wasn't promoted right.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I think you are over estimating the value of Different Devil outside of the fanbase.
    Same thing with the new album by Van Halen. No?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

It's true that the music biz environment became even harder in 2011 compared with 2009 when the debut album came out. It would've needed even more effort to make CFIII take off. And when they realized this, it seems they just went "oh why bother." It's understandable, imagine if suddenly your job became 10 times as hard, compared to when you started out. Easy to feel a bit discouraged. Especially if you have enough money in the bank that you don't absolutely NEED more success.
    Little Dreamer

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 1984 & ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 266 Times in 120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Railrunner130 View Post
    While I'm not a fan of "Different Devil", I saw it's potential on the adult contemporary stations. I think they gave up when it came to promoting the album. It could've been huge, but it wasn't promoted right.

I thought internet presence (with the "making of" vid for each song) was pretty impressive.

They didn't seem to get the TV appearance lineup they had for the first album.

... but, I think not having Chad took a bit of their extended touring enthusiasm away.

The DVD for the first album is amazing.

The live video for their concert in Europe (sorry forgot where it was exactly) was sub par compared to their earlier DVD, imo.

I did think the songs were stronger second album... but a bit less "unhinged" performance-wise than I was hoping.

If you ask me (and with no offense at all to Kenny Aronoff who was a great fill in) Chickenfoot's selling point was their craziness. Chad took about 40% of that with him.

just my 2 yen.

- mrC
    *Follow my ubiquitous audio/video/composing/production mishaps, with & without The OBViOUS ... often resulting in hilarious musical consequnces:

http://www.facebook.com/mrChristopherTV
    http://www.facebook.com/theobviouscom

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by E-boy View Post
    Same thing with the new album by Van Halen. No?
    True to a point, but Van Halen at least has some name recognition outside of the dedicated fan base.

Chickenfoot has almost zero.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to do the usual comparison, was just stating a fact. Bringing Van Halen into doesn't change it.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Bringing Van Halen into doesn't change it.
    My point was that many bands/artists still create "hit material", but that doesn't necessarily mean that those songs actually become real "hits".

Another point was, that are there any "hits" in rock music anymore? What was the last real hit, some song from Bon Jovi or something? People still like these various bands and definitely want to see them live, but what do they REALLY want to hear? Older songs and those "hits". At least they don't want to hear every song from the new album.

If a band creates good music and hit material (IMO that's what Chickenfoot does), includes great musicians (IMO that's Chickenfoot), includes a great singer (IMO that's what Sammy has always been) and good rock'n'roll party attitude (essence of Chickenfoot) I can't really complain.

But at the same time I've no delusions that Chickenfoot will be here forever or will light the music world on fire in the same way like Van Halen, Led Zeppelin etc. I'm just going to enjoy it as long as the fun lasts.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 4,806 Times in 2,453 Posts

Premium Member

CF would be better off "selling" the song to somebody like the dude who sings in Maroon 5, Justin Bieber or somebody else current. The song would get airplay and most likely would be a hit. Unfortunately it's very hard for any band over 50 to get airplay. Even Aerosmith has had issues even with Tyler selling out for American Idol.

Time defeats all men just like cocktail waitresses in Vegas. They eventually all end up working the crappy joints.

It's a great song but it just won't get the push that is needed.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:43 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    It's true that the music biz environment became even harder in 2011 compared with 2009 when the debut album came out. It would've needed even more effort to make CFIII take off. And when they realized this, it seems they just went "oh why bother." It's understandable, imagine if suddenly your job became 10 times as hard, compared to when you started out. Easy to feel a bit discouraged. Especially if you have enough money in the bank that you don't absolutely NEED more success.
    It takes money to make money. Perhaps your last statement is what happened. Maybe they decided not to spend the cash to get the album to that level of success.

Super Duper Frontman YankeeRose's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Why Can't This Be Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:55 PM
    Liked 197 Times in 123 Posts

I like it, but I definately wasn't blown away by it when I first heard it. So I doubt it would have been a huge hit as a single.
    Right Now you're reading my post!

I can't stand rap....people who can't sing do rap....you can sing rebellion as well as talk it....Hitler would have been in a rap band...

-- John Entwistle

2006 VHL Fantasy Hockey Champ!