Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 11,728 Times in 6,498 Posts

Premium Member

Default ‘White Privilege’? Portland Principal Claims PB&J Sandwiches Hold Racist Connotations

Are peanut butter and jelly sandwiches racist? A bizarre question, to say the least, but one that at least one school administrator is asking out in Portland, Oregon. Verenice Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, seems to believe that there are racial connotations associated with the common lunch-time meal.

According to Gutierrez, using the example of a peanut butter sandwich in classroom lessons is technically a problematic and discriminatory move — one that was made by a teacher in her building last school year. While such a notion may bring out laughs among those who find it absurd, the principal explains her logic.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?,” she said. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

Somehow, by mentioning a food that the majority culture regularly eats without also discussing other meal options, the teacher was purportedly violating discrimination standards. So, to combat any additional PB&J-related offenses, the principal is treading carefully. And she’s not alone.

Portland Public Schools is in the process of integrating “Courageous Conversations,” an equity training that has been coming in phases over the past few years. The Portland Tribune explains the district’s intentions, in detail:

Through intensive staff trainings, frequent staff meetings, classroom observations and other initiatives, the premise is that if educators can understand their own “white privilege,” then they can change their teaching practices to boost minority students’ performance. Last Wednesday, the first day of the school year for staff, for example, the first item of business for teachers at Scott School was to have a Courageous Conversation — to examine a news article and discuss the “white privilege” it conveys.

The demographics that are present in the district have apparently led leaders to tackle this purported “white privilege” issue head-on. Currently, 50 percent of students at Scott K-8 are Hispanic, 15 percent are black and nine percent are Asian.

Naturally, there’s some controversy, especially considering the subject at hand. One parent, in particular, as the Tribune notes, has railed against a lunch-time drum class for black and Hispanic boys at the school (the parent believes it discriminates against women, girls, Asians, whites and Native Americans).

Gutierrez, though, claims children weren’t turned away and denies that offering a minority-specific class amounts to discrimination.

“When white people do it, it is not a problem, but if it’s for kids of color, then it’s a problem?,” she said. “Break it down for me. That’s your white privilege, and your whiteness.”

The Tribune has more about the principal and the district‘s program that she’s seeking to utilize in the school:

Like many if not all of PPS’ leaders, Gutierrez has gone through California-based consultant Glenn Singleton’s “Coaching for Educational Equity,” a weeklong seminar on race and how it affects life; she’s also become an “affiliate,” certified to teach the equity curriculum; and she serves on the district’s administrative committee to address systematic racism, a group that meets every other week.

“Our focus school and our Superintendent’s mandate that we improve education for students of color, particularly Black and Brown boys, will provide us with many opportunities to use the protocols of Courageous Conversations in data teams, team meetings, staff meetings, and conversations amongst one another,” Guitierrez’ letter to staff reads

http://portlandtribune.com/pt-rss/9-...rum-for-equity

I think we've had enough of this BULLSHIT don't you?
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 1,343 Times in 921 Posts

oh my dear lord...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We are so fucked!
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    “What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?,” she said. “Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”
    This kind of thinking is the problem.

The melting pot no longer wants to melt and that is the difference between the immigrants of yesterday and today.

Unless you're an illegal alien, those Somali and Hispanic kids ARE Americans!

So goes PB&J, so goes the nation.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

might be time to quit the internet...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

I'm glad I don't have kids in this day and age.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:11 PM
    Liked 6,670 Times in 3,696 Posts

example #4,568 on why teachers aren't paid enough. This is the stupidity they need to deal with.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Bye Bye American Pie...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Uh-huh.......

Yet McDonalds is not 'White Privledge" huh?

Idiots, absolute idiots
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Portlandia. Lol.
    Staying Frosty

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

"Naturally, there’s some controversy, especially considering the subject at hand. One parent, in particular, as the Tribune notes, has railed against a lunch-time drum class for black and Hispanic boys at the school (the parent believes it discriminates against women, girls, Asians, whites and Native Americans)."

"Gutierrez, though, claims children weren’t turned away and denies that offering a minority-specific class amounts to discrimination."

Sounds racist to me, if your line of thinking is that the mention of PB&J is racist.

“When white people do it, it is not a problem, but if it’s for kids of color, then it’s a problem?,” she said. “Break it down for me. That’s your white privilege, and your whiteness.”

When exactly do "White People" do it, and when they do when are they not called out on it.

This kind of shit is just friggin irritating. The same people that jump in your shit because they believe a sandwich is racist are the same ones who have no problem at reverse discrimination and when called out on it just call you a racist for complaining.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 2,210 Times in 1,114 Posts

Premium Member

Hahahaha. What a dumb cunt.

She basically shows her own racism by this statement. Notice how she says AMERICANS eat PB&J. As someone else pointed out, are the students of Somali or Hispanic descent NOT Americans? Are they second class citizens? What exactly is she implying in this statement?

If they are not Americans, why are they in the US public education system?

I can't believe there are tax dollars going to this type of education consulting. It's an embarrassment.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

it's a f-ing sandwich. is it possible that this school has no real problems to address?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 2,210 Times in 1,114 Posts

Premium Member

So are only white people privelaged, or are privelaged people only white? It has to be one or the other, otherwise "white privelage" is a racist stereotype. By this line of thinking there are no "black privelaged" or "asian privelaged," etc.

Way to clump all people of one race into one category, there Guitierrez.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    So are only white people privelaged, or are privelaged people only white? It has to be one or the other, otherwise "white privelage" is a racist stereotype. By this line of thinking there are no "black privelaged" or "asian privelaged," etc.

Way to clump all people of one race into one category, there Guitierrez.
    indeed. poor Guitierrez who based on her linkedin profile has a PHD. Wonder how a non-white person was allowed into such a program.