Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:24 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

Default 9/11/01 - In Remembrance

This day is in memory of those that died, in honor of those that survived and to the FDNY, NYPD and to our military.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Here in Virginia, the weather today is going to be just like that fateful day 11 years ago too- unseasonably cool and crisp, beautiful sunny skies. Just a beautiful day, weather-wise. Funny that the anniversary falls on a Tuesday this year as well...

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:51 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

Same weather here in Baltimore .
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

RIP
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Same weather here in CT today as well. Amazing that it was 11 years ago. What a day that was. Started out with the fear of the unknown, than with anger and finally remorse for those who died. I can remember sitting on my front porch in central CT in the days after and having that smoke from ground zero in the sky above. The best of America and humanity shined bright that day and the weeks/months following. Too bad it took something so horrible to get people to slow down, take a breath and help each other out and come together as ONE Nation, undivided.

God Bless those who lost loved ones that day and to the ones who lost their lives. You will always be remembered.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts

Today we put our differences aside and come together in honor of those who lost their lives in the name of fanaticism. Peace be with you all today - whoever you are where ever you are, whatever you beleive.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

So there I was, trying to bring the funny (with emphasis on trying) at 93 Country in Muscatine, IA. Suddenly the receptionist came running in to the studio; "TURN ON CNN, a plane just flew in to the World Trade Center."

Now, keep in mind, I'm a joking type of guy. As I flipped the studio TV from The Weather Channel I made the comment; "How do you hit a building THAT tall with the skies THAT clear? It's not like it just jumps out of nowhere." I was impressed enough with that little rib cracker, I used it on air as she and I talker about it.

After a few minutes of nothing happening, no reports of what happened I told the listeners that we'd break in if there was an update. I began my usual schlock about taking a break, when out of the corner of my eye I saw another plane streaking across that brilliant blue sky...slamming right in to the other tower. Tracey gasped and I remembered looking at her and saying "HOLY SHIT!!! DID YOU JUST SEE THAT!?!?" I completely forgot my mic was open.

I immediately explained what we had just witnessed, and started reading what the AP wire was reporting. It was the first time I've ever heard a computerize whimper in pain with as fast as reports started coming in.

Finally, overwhelmed, I cut away to live CNN coverage and inserted commercials.

When I got off work, I went to get my Monkeybutt, who was three at the time. I don't think air hugged her as much as I did that day.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Never forget and never let it happen again
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Even though it was 11 years ago, the images and stories are just as powerful today as they were then. 2,983 innocent people lost their lives that day. 2,983 Mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters, wives, husbands, friends, and heroes. The anger and sadness is still so visceral when I see the replays of the events.

I'm going to be showing my age (or lack thereof); I was in high school at the time. When I saw the towers hit, the Pentagon hit, and then learned of the plane going down in PA, not only was it sad and scary, but the idea of a draft (and every one of us in the room being eligible) became very real.

When the period finally ended and we emptied into the hallway, I remember telling a friend: "If there's a draft, I'm ready to go."

Thankfully our country didn't have to rely on my wussy ass and had real men who could fight for us and take down and finish the sorry bastdards that started it.

I appreciate that Brett has kept the events of that day in its own forum. I think reading those threads are a humbling reminder of where we were, where we are, and how we got there.

I hope all of the innocent people that lost their lives rest in peace, and all of their relatives are given comfort. I also hope that those that perpetrated these acts are being burned in eternity and suffer for their evil with a hot poker up their ass.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Default TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2001. NEVER FORGET

It was also on a Tuesday, just as today. I remember I was at the shopping mall when first heard about it, it was on the tv's in the store. I was buying the brand new Bob Dylan cd " Love And Theft ", at the time, as it was the first day it went on sale, and ironically, today I will be buying another brand new Bob Dylan cd that is just out today, what a coincidence.

Tuesday, September, 11, 2001, it was a day that I remember a lot of details about, that normanally wouldn't remember, because of the horrible act of insane evildooers. It is good that dispicable inhuman piece of shit is dead, and won't enjoy this anniversary.

My condolances to all.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

On Aug 23rd, I left my office on the 61st floor of 2WTC, otherwise known at the South Tower, and boarded United Flight 93 - Newark to San Francisco. Thankfully, I had been splitting my time 50-50 between SF and NYC.

On the morning of Sep 11th, I was at my office in downtown SF. I had been on the phone since 5 am my time with my team back in NY. That's when the first plane hit. Everyone talked about the black smoke that was pouring out of the "other building." Things were very confusing, but I remember telling everyone that it might be a good idea to leave the building and go get a coffee at Starbucks. In just a few minutes, their head of security was requiring everyone to get out via the stairs (he'd later be a hero responsible for getting almost 9k employees out safely that day).

I didn't know any of this, of course. I hung up the phone and watched the Bloomberg feed on my computer. To my sheer horror, just a short time later, I watched the 2nd plane hit the South Tower. Having no perspective on time or what had happened, I hoped everyone got out.

Very shortly after, the evacuated our building. I left not knowing what had happened. I tried to call friends on my cell phone, but I couldn't get a signal. Because I was a little befuddled, I ended up just walking home (about 4 miles). After my walk, I came in the door where my roommates hugged me. Because my schedule was so weird, they weren't sure I wasn't in NY.

One of them said, "We were scared that you were in the building when it collapsed."

I said, "WHAT? Collapsed?"

I hadn't seen that part, yet. Again, I had no perspective as to the time it took for all the events to unfold. I hit the couch thinking that I lost all my friends and co-workers. Then my landline was ringing off the hook. I was able to tell my hysterical mom that I wasn't in NY and that I was ok.

After about 15 min of watching it on TV, I couldn't stomach anymore. I decided to go with my roommates to grab a burger. The TV was on and everyone just kept watching. I turned my back to it. About 2 hours later, FINALLY, I got a call from my buddy I was on the phone with earlier that morning and he said he was ok and so was everyone else.

I dodged a few bullets that day. I missed being in that tower by just a couple of weeks. I used to fly United Flight 93 from Newark to SF all the time. Believe me when I say, "I'll never forget."

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Thanks for sharing that, Reckless. Wild story.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

I hope we can once again get back to a point where we as a nation feel comfortable, but never complacent. Sad day...

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

I was watching some video last night on H2 and it was filmed on Sept 12, 2001 at ground zero. A worker asked what was that pile? And someone replied, "Body parts".
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:04 PM
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Thanks for sharing that, Reckless. Wild story.
    +1
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.