Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:43 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Default Chicago teachers strike

The average teacher salary in Chicago-$76,000 PLUS benefits. Amount of days the schools are open-about 170. That's $447 PER DAY PLUS BENEFITS! Now they are striking after being offered a 16% pay raise? UNBELIEVABLE.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...07a_story.html

Chicago teachers strike reverberates nationwide
    By Lyndsey Laytonand Bill Turque, Monday, September 10, 5:14 PM

Teachers in Chicago went on strike Monday for the first time in 25 years in a bitter dispute with Mayor Rahm Emanuel that is reverberating across the country because the issues at the core of the conflict — teacher evaluations tied to student test scores, a longer school day and other reforms — are being hotly debated from Hawaii to Maine.

The fact that the fight revolves around Emanuel, a larger-than-life Democrat and former chief of staff to President Obama, has pushed the municipal labor fight into prime time, complicated the political calculus and elevated the stakes. Emanuel has taken a lead role in garnering support for Obama, who is relying heavily on the support of unions in his reelection bid.

It is also the boldest confrontation yet by one of a growing number of Democratic mayors who have been pressuring unions to accept reforms in cities such as Boston, Cleveland and Los Angeles, creating a schism between the Democrats and a traditional ally.

“It’s not just about the negotiations in Chicago,” said Joe Williams, executive director of Democrats for Education Reform. “Because of the visibility of the mayor, this is an important stand for the union. They’re trying to send a message nationally about what teacher unions are going to tolerate from Democratic mayors.”

About 26,000 teachers and paraprofessionals picketed in red T-shirts outside empty Chicago schools while nearly 400,000 children were left with nothing to do Monday. Scores of churches, community centers and parks welcomed children who needed a safe place to spend the day while the adults continued to try to find agreement at a negotiating table downtown.

The tension in Chicago began before Emanuel was elected, when he promised on the campaign trail to add 90 minutes to the school day and extend the school year. Chicago, the country’s third-largest public school system, has one of the shortest school days of any urban district.

Union leaders argued that Emanuel could not extend their workday by 20 percent without increasing pay. When he took office last year, Emanuel found the school district facing a $700 million budget shortfall and he rescinded 4 percent raises for teachers. Emanuel offered bonuses for teachers and schools that waived the contract and adopted a longer school day; the union challenged the move before the Illinois Educational Labor Relations Board.

Emanuel successfully pushed a change to state law that made it harder for the teachers to strike; union members responded by overwhelmingly meeting the new hurdles to authorize a strike. Emanuel and Chicago Teachers Union President Karen Lewis reportedly got into heated exchanges during private meetings. And things went downhill from there.

Still, Chicago Public School officials said they were taken aback by the strike because they felt they had been making headway in discussions with the teachers union.

Oh...and BTW.

Seventy-nine percent of the 8th graders in the Chicago Public Schools are not grade-level proficient in reading, according to the U.S. Department of Education, and 80 percent are not grade-level proficient in math.

Chicago public school teachers went on strike on Monday and one of the major issues behind the strike is a new system Chicago plans to use for evaluating public school teachers in which student improvement on standardized tests will count for 40 percent of a teacher's evaluation. Until now, the evaluations of Chicago public school teachers have been based on what a Chicago Sun Times editorial called a "meaningless checklist."

In 2011, the U.S. Department of Education administered National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) tests in reading and math to students around the country, including in the Chicago Public Schools. The tests were scored on a scale of 0 to 500, with 500 being the best possible score. Based on their scores, the U.S. Department of Education rated students' skills in reading and math as either "below basic," "basic," "proficient" or "advanced."

Nationally, public school 8th graders scored an average of 264 on the NAEP reading test. Statewide in Illinois, the 8th graders did a little better, scoring an average of 266. But in the Chicago Public Schools, 8th graders scored an average of only 253 in reading. That was lower even than the nationwide average of 255 among 8th graders in "large city" public schools.

http://www.familysecuritymatters.org...ent-in-reading
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

I'm all for striking if the situations call for it but this one school district already pays their teachers more than all of the school districts in Idaho.

As I've mentioned before in a previous thread, my mom has been an elementary school teacher for the past 12 years. She has her bachelors AND masters degree in education.

Her salary is just under $20,000 a year.

If she was a brand new teacher, I would find that acceptable but not after 12 years and a masters degree.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

But this isn't all about pay, they want to be able to evaluate teachers without taking any outside factors into consideration. This is the problem with the merit pay system. The teachers are blamed and punished for shitty students.

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeK21 View Post
    But this isn't all about pay, they want to be able to evaluate teachers without taking any outside factors into consideration. This is the problem with the merit pay system. The teachers are blamed and punished for shitty students.
    Yep, Idaho did the same thing and every teacher I have talked to hates it with a passion. Politicians dont realize that teachers actually have lives outside of the classroom so they are forced to work double time without actually being paid for it.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,293 Times in 3,166 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

76k is a lot of scratch for a teacher no matter where they are. I'd shut the hell up if I were them.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Boxer 9901 View Post
    Yep, Idaho did the same thing and every teacher I have talked to hates it with a passion. Politicians dont realize that teachers actually have lives outside of the classroom so they are forced to work double time without actually being paid for it.
    And THAT is the thing...A teacher's day doesn't start at 9am and end at 3.30pm, despite what the average person believes...There are meetings to attend; books to mark; lessons to prepare; countless administrative tasks to perform. Similarly, school 'holidays' aren't really holidays at all - they're jam-packed with shed-loads of work. I honestly don't know how people think all of this gets done - by some mysterious magical fairy, presumably.

I think I've mentioned before that in my third year of teaching, I was asked by my union to calculate the number of hours per week I spent doing school-related work and I was dismayed (though unsurprised) that it came to over 90 - which meant that I was in fact earning approximately £1 ($1.50) per hour.

As in the US, the UK government constantly moots this notion of assessing teachers' performance via pupils' exam results - a blunt and inherently inaccurate mechanism. Children are not little machines being churned out on a production line; they're individual human beings with varying forms of 'baggage' - and, generally speaking, teachers work bloody hard for little recognition or reward with the kids they have in front of them.

To say that one teacher must be 'better' because their pupils have achieved higher grades doesn't mean that that teacher is working harder, is more 'able' in the classroom or is superior intellectually - it's more likely simply evidence of each child being a product of a unique set of circumstances: their socio-economic background; their family situation; their physical / mental health; their emotional state; their propensity towards academia - and, God forbid, their intelligence - because, believe it or not, some people don't have that much of it and no amount of teaching is going to change that fact!
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    76k is a lot of scratch for a teacher no matter where they are. I'd shut the hell up if I were them.
    No, you wouldn't - because it's still a sh*tty amount of money for the nonsense with which most teachers have to contend - not least that they should "shut up" and tolerate all manner of completely ridiculous rulings brought down upon them by those who, for the most part, have no idea about what teaching actually involves.

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus H Christ View Post
    The average teacher salary in Chicago-$76,000 PLUS benefits. Amount of days the schools are open-about 170. That's $447 PER DAY PLUS BENEFITS! Now they are striking after being offered a 16% pay raise? UNBELIEVABLE.
    Is that part about 170 days correct? Every school I went to in Maine was 180 - every school my kids went to in Florida was 180 - every school they've gone to in Maryland is 180 - and that's not counting days the kids are off and the teachers have workshops or whatever. Or summer school.

But I'm sorry, teachers should not be allowed to strike. Not sure what other means they have of protest, but striking should not be it. Those kids' education should not suffer because of teacher protest. Teachers who strike should be fired. I believe the air traffic controllers went on strike and they were fired, teachers are just as vital. Our school systems need a ton of remaking, but it can't be accomplished at the expense of the kids. Needs to be like rebuilding the interstate - you keep the traffic moving while you make improvements. Same thing for the schools.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,293 Times in 3,166 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    No, you wouldn't - because it's still a sh*tty amount of money for the nonsense with which most teachers have to contend - not least that they should "shut up" and tolerate all manner of completely ridiculous rulings brought down upon them by those who, for the most part, have no idea about what teaching actually involves.
    Ok so basically they're pissed about being accountable? Test scores and the like correct? Well number one, they chose their profession and they get paid based on numbers they produce. The fact that students are dunces nowadays while not their faults is still something they're judged by. Apparently no one wants to take the blame for the crap scores. It apparently isn't the teachers fault.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Ok so basically they're pissed about being accountable? Test scores and the like correct? Well number one, they chose their profession and they get paid based on numbers they produce. The fact that students are dunces nowadays while not their faults is still something they're judged by. Apparently no one wants to take the blame for the crap scores. It apparently isn't the teachers fault.
    I don't know of any teacher who has a problem with being 'accountable' -but by taking an instrument as blunt as end of year test results and using those as the sole method of assessing a teacher's performance, you're not going to get anything like parity or fairness.

I was very fortunate - I worked in an independent school where the pupils came from middle-class backgrounds with generally supportive parents. Those children were, for the most part, in excellent physical health, mentally and emotionally stable with a decent home, a desk at which to do their schoolwork, food on the table, etc etc - and their exam results were excellent. In the nine years I taught in that school, I maintained a 100% grade A to C record.

Now, I know that I worked bloody hard - as I've mentioned in a previous post - and was (without wishing to sound big-headed - but why the hell not!?) good at my job - but, equally, there are literally thousands of teachers who work with deprived kids from horrendous backgrounds who are NEVER going to achieve those same results. It doesn't mean that they are any less capable or conscientious - so why should they be punished by having their pay docked? That is, quite simply, crazy talk!

You cannot compare children to automatons - they don't have all the same components and don't come off an assembly line - and teachers can't be compared to factory workers, churning out the same product day after day. It doesn't work like that - so to suggest that their pay should be "based on the numbers they produce" is ludicrous!

There are a range of factors as to why today's "children are dunces" and I can assure you that teachers' input is only one of them...The number of dysfunctional families; the diminishing of parental responsibility; the lack of emphasis placed on getting an education by the media and society in general (be a footballer / a model / a pop-star / a reality TV star / a celebrity of some sort - anything other than work hard in school); the addiction to computer games which keeps countless kids up all night instead of doing their schoolwork, etc etc etc, the list goes on...and on...and on...

I really don't blame these teachers for being thoroughly fed-up. The ignorance displayed by politicians - and the public at large - is one of the reasons why I went on 'permanent strike' and left the profession altogether!

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

Sounds to me like the mayor was looking for this scrap. You can't unilaterally change the working conditions of the teachers without negotiating it or else you get what u see now.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    And THAT is the thing...A teacher's day doesn't start at 9am and end at 3.30pm, despite what the average person believes...There are meetings to attend; books to mark; lessons to prepare; countless administrative tasks to perform. Similarly, school 'holidays' aren't really holidays at all - they're jam-packed with shed-loads of work. I honestly don't know how people think all of this gets done - by some mysterious magical fairy, presumably.

I think I've mentioned before that in my third year of teaching, I was asked by my union to calculate the number of hours per week I spent doing school-related work and I was dismayed (though unsurprised) that it came to over 90 - which meant that I was in fact earning approximately £1 ($1.50) per hour.

As in the US, the UK government constantly moots this notion of assessing teachers' performance via pupils' exam results - a blunt and inherently inaccurate mechanism. Children are not little machines being churned out on a production line; they're individual human beings with varying forms of 'baggage' - and, generally speaking, teachers work bloody hard for little recognition or reward with the kids they have in front of them.

To say that one teacher must be 'better' because their pupils have achieved higher grades doesn't mean that that teacher is working harder, is more 'able' in the classroom or is superior intellectually - it's more likely simply evidence of each child being a product of a unique set of circumstances: their socio-economic background; their family situation; their physical / mental health; their emotional state; their propensity towards academia - and, God forbid, their intelligence - because, believe it or not, some people don't have that much of it and no amount of teaching is going to change that fact!

Yup. It's 1015 and I'm watching football. My wife (the one with the easy teaching job) has been planning for an hour and won't be done for a while (and burning through office supplies that we pay for). Most people have no clue how tough a job it is.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Stop talking, u have no fucking clue what you're talking about scott.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    Is that part about 170 days correct? Every school I went to in Maine was 180 - every school my kids went to in Florida was 180 - every school they've gone to in Maryland is 180 - and that's not counting days the kids are off and the teachers have workshops or whatever. Or summer school.

But I'm sorry, teachers should not be allowed to strike. Not sure what other means they have of protest, but striking should not be it. Those kids' education should not suffer because of teacher protest. Teachers who strike should be fired. I believe the air traffic controllers went on strike and they were fired, teachers are just as vital. Our school systems need a ton of remaking, but it can't be accomplished at the expense of the kids. Needs to be like rebuilding the interstate - you keep the traffic moving while you make improvements. Same thing for the schools.

Taking away the right to strike forces negotiations into arbitration and most governments have no interest in this.

But you're right.

Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I have to agree with Mike on this. If you've never lived in a house with a public school teacher, you will NEVER understand it. They don't chose the job so they can have summers off, holidays like the students, etc. They do it because they're passionate about teaching kids.

My mom taught elementary & middle school over 30 years. Like most teachers, their pay is doled out over the 180+ days they teach. They don't get paid during the summer, so most teachers, especially newer teachers without tenure, take part-time jobs to supplement their incomes in the summer.

My mom would take the first month after school and decompress, take a quick family trip over a weekend. Then she geared up for school by getting school supplies, clothes, etc., for me and my siblings. The last part of summer she started planning, gathering and preparing for the upcoming year. Two weeks before school started she was hauling everything back to school and putting together her room.

During the year, every night was spent grading papers, reports, talking to parents, attending meetings, conferences. And as the years progressed the kids became more belligerent. The parents went from holding their kids accountable for not succeeding, studying and respect; they started blaming the teachers. Teachers went from being educators to surrogate parents to doormats for the students, parents AND administration.

Then throw in No Child Left Behind, the kids AND teachers got screwed.