Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 11:53 AM
    Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Default Should I consider myself good?

I'm the guy who made the post about guitar players that never made it out of the bedroom a while back. I was just messing around and was listening to that footage of eddie supposedly noodling in 1974 on youtube. I picked it up in about an hour or so and can play that opening riff and the whole thing pretty mint sounding. Eddie and I are on the same wavelength or something. I like how he plays the guitar. He uses the lower strings as a bass line almost which very few guitarists do and the chords he uses come natural for me. Like I was saying i have a classical violonist background and have dutch heritage. I dont know what it is. But I like how eddie styles his guitar after some classical stuff. But I do this often. I've never learned how to read music. I listen to things and just pick it up. Just havent exposed myself over the years as much as i could. I'm older and don't have the same energy i used to though. I'm regretting not doing this stuff more often these days.

But I can seriously play that first 2 minute riff mint. It's actually really simple. I love the sound of it. Don't know if it's ed but it sounds like him how he plays rhythm like a drum. It sounds like there is a bassline but it's all guitar.

I need to get out and play? I feel bad ripping off ed there though. I've come up with my own stuff. I'm still learning in my late 30's lol.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 09.08.12 at 10:47 PM.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

I'm a few steps away from sober so I'm gonna speak plain.

You seem to have put time into playing guitar, enjoy it and keep thinking about branching out from your bedroom or whatever the fuck..from what you post.

Life is short. You wanna jam with people and play out? Can't do it when you are dead. What are you waiting on? People of all skill levels are out there looking for a band.

I have no idea what you sound like so this isn't directed at your playin' ability.
    On a local level...and I think it's safe to assume this is national. You got a lot of talented people out there playing...a lot of mediocrity and some suck ass bands and players too. Thing is a lot of these people gig out often and have a good time with it. Even novice type bands are out there playing bars with their friends having a good time. Sounds like you may be better than suck ass but even suck ass peeps are out there working.

Find a band!

Look for people to play with and get out there already. Try to find a part time for fun with some gigs band. People that play stuff you are comfortable with and try it already. You learn a lot playing with people. Waiting is only holding you back. A lot of people started that shit in their early teens but it's never too late.

What you want to rule the world with your first band? Afraid to fail? fuck that. U dig it and want to get out of your little coopie hole? do it!

As far as mimicking what EVh did in that file...well there are 50 year olds that can't and 13 year olds that play sweeping arpeggios and the most advanced shit at every guitar center.

It comes down to your interest in guitar and playing with others. Do it and stop meandering.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    I'm the guy who made the post about guitar players that never made it out of the bedroom a while back. I was just messing around and was listening to that footage of eddie supposedly noodling in 1974 on youtube. I picked it up in about an hour or so and can play that opening riff and the whole thing pretty mint sounding. Eddie and I are on the same wavelength or something. I like how he plays the guitar. He uses the lower strings as a bass line almost which very few guitarists do and the chords he uses come natural for me. Like I was saying i have a classical violonist background and have dutch heritage. I dont know what it is. But I like how eddie styles his guitar after some classical stuff. But I do this often. I've never learned how to read music. I listen to things and just pick it up. Just havent exposed myself over the years as much as i could. I'm older and don't have the same energy i used to though. I'm regretting not doing this stuff more often these days.

But I can seriously play that first 2 minute riff mint. It's actually really simple. I love the sound of it. Don't know if it's ed but it sounds like him how he plays rhythm like a drum. It sounds like there is a bassline but it's all guitar.

I need to get out and play? I feel bad ripping off ed there though. I've come up with my own stuff. I'm still learning in my late 30's lol.
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 09.09.12 at 02:08 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

adkot/wacf
    Favorite VH Song

in a simple rhyme/as is
    Last Online

01.15.16 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    I'm a few steps away from sober so I'm gonna speak plain.

You seem to have put time into playing guitar, enjoy it and keep thinking about branching out from your bedroom or whatever the fuck..from what you post.

Life is short. You wanna jam with people and play out? Can't do it when you are dead. What are you waiting on? People of all skill levels are out there looking for a band.

I have no idea what you sound like so this isn't directed at your playin' ability.
    On a local level...and I think it's safe to assume this is national. You got a lot of talented people out there playing...a lot of mediocrity and some suck ass bands and players too. Thing is a lot of these people gig out often and have a good time with it. Even novice type bands are out there playing bars with their friends having a good time. Sounds like you may be better than suck ass but even suck ass peeps are out there working.

Find a band!

Look for people to play with and get out there already. Try to find a part time for fun with some gigs band. People that play stuff you are comfortable with and try it already. You learn a lot playing with people. Waiting is only holding you back. A lot of people started that shit in their early teens but it's never too late.

What you want to rule the world with your first band? Afraid to fail? fuck that. U dig it and want to get out of your little coopie hole? do it!

As far as mimicking what EVh did in that file...well there are 50 year olds that can't and 13 year olds that play sweeping arpeggios and the most advanced shit at every guitar center.

It comes down to your interest in guitar and playing with others. Do it and stop meandering.

Good luck.
    I was drunk too lol. But honestly I feel like i should get out and play I just am not sure how my style will mesh with todays music. I was classically trained violonist when i was younger. I had an anxiety attack during a recital and stopped playing. I picked up a guitar in my 20's and was just messing around with it but due to a breakup a couple years ago i've had extra time on my hands and started learning how to play. I figured i'd b e married by now and would have put the guitar away but I did this instead. I'm just kind of surprised how good i've gotten. I've never played with a band or drummer in my life. But my style is different. Eddie is a huge influence and i don't know if that is good or not. HE doesn't realy play standard music. But over the years these are the songs i've learned. I'm sure i'm forgetting some. I'm actually taking lessons right now. Starting from the ground up. Just learning basic scales and progressions. It's actually helping my playing. Like that thing that eddie is doing noodling. It's basically just an E chord and and C chord with an E pentatonic scale he does in between that he is just noodling. I still can't solo worth shit. But I can play most rhythm parts. My soloing is getting better though with the fact I'm actually practicing and taking actual lessons and I think I'll be able to solo just fine soon enough. Give me a few months. My fingering is already getting much better where I'm picking ups tuff faster. I was just drunk and was rocking out to that eddie riff there and i picked it up really fast.

These are the songs I've learned over the years

Tom Petty-Learning to fly
    Led Zeppelin-going to california, tangerine, That's the way
    The police-message in a bottle
    Van Halen-Feelin, Pleasure Dome(the intro), Panama, Ain't Talkn bout love, 316, Hear about it later, Aftershock, From Afar, Big Trouble
    Simon and Garfunkel-Scarborough fair, Bookends
    Johnny Cash-Ring of Fire
    Rage against the machine-I can play basically the entire Rage self titled record
    Various parts to nirvana and pearl jam songs. Live as well... A lot of stuff i learned when i first picked up the guitar.
    Alot of smashing pumpkins songs as well that i've forgotten but i could play the whole songs.
    Pink Floyd-Mother
    Alice in Chains-Nutshell and a few others

Just classic rock and stuff that was easy enough for me to pick up and play... I've come up with my own stuff too. Never learned how to play stairway to heaven though lol... I dont think i know any guns and roses either. I think I have good rhythm though. I'm from the northeast but I have a bit of eddie's rhythm and style with some southern twang mixed in. I play the guitar like a banjo and a violin in one lol. I'm learning blues progressions and some jazz stuff and just basic stuff right now.

The stuff I play I don't think I suck though. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so it sounds good. When I play something I want it to sound like Eddie or Andy Summers or Page and it does. Some people don't sound that good imo. I think I sound good and have a good feel for the guitar.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 09.09.12 at 11:01 AM.

Last Online

I can play Zeppelin babe i'm gonna leave you, aerosmith seasons of wither as well. I think those were the first songs i ever learned. Shinedown simple man. I've learned a lot of songs I'm forgetting. I play everythign with a pick though. Can't finger pick worth crap.

Sry I was drunk and was just siked after i played that. It sounds wicked and i love that riff. Go on with your daily activities.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 09.09.12 at 11:25 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 11,559 Times in 4,925 Posts

What exactly is your point? I'm serious.

Most great musicians don't need to tell people they're good.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post

I can play the cowbell on " Don't Fear The Reaper ", and quite well I might add.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 09:39 AM
    Liked 185 Times in 105 Posts

That's what I was thinking. Maybe he should just tell that to his Mom or someone like that. He's looking for attention, I guess..in a very weird way with 2 threads about his playing.
    Just go for it!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

I mean no offense, but I don't get why we should be impressed.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:51 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

I can play with myself... Pretty good at it too. Left and right handed. Beat that( pun intended )
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Yes it does seem a bit odd to try and illustrate to other guitarists how good you are by pointing out the songs you have learned. But I think the guy definitely needs some encouragement to get out of the house and play, then his guitar can speak for him. I've been playing since '76 and if I fool around and play things for others they think it's great, especially when running through the full rig. But I'm very hard on myself, and I would say personally that I suck. I find that many guitarists are tough on themselves, even at a pro level. Heck, even Ed admitted in an interview from last tour how nervous he was playing in front of people.

To the other guitarists here, did you ever notice that when people stop by and ask you to play something, you can't think of a single thing to play even though you know 100+ covers by heart? heh

Heisenberg, I learned Don't Fear The Reaper shortly after it was released, so if we ever get together you can play lead cowbell. LMAO Saw Blue Oyster Cult a few times back in the day, and now most people are like "who?".

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I mean no offense, but I don't get why we should be impressed.
    I don't know Brett, but you seem pretty offensive lately in general. hahaha

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    I don't know Brett, but you seem pretty offensive lately in general. hahaha
    I guess.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post

To the other guitarists here, did you ever notice that when people stop by and ask you to play something, you can't think of a single thing to play even though you know 100+ covers by heart? heh
    Always.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

I wasn't trying to impress anyone. I was asking a question at what point is a musician considered good? Usually it would be when people start telling them that. But I don't play in front of anyone so I don't know if I'm good or not. If someone else told me I was good that would let me know.

If I know 30 something songs does that mean I'm good? I was asking the question.

I learned the white stripes dead leaves in the dirty ground hte other day. Jack White is considered a really good guitarist these days. I think the song is really simple and easy to play. So is Jack White overrated?

I was asking the question.

I think anyone could play most of these songs if they put the time in trying to play them. So I don't know if I'm good or not. I'm just learnign songs.

If I can play 30 something songs that doesn't mean I can play in a band or with other musicians. I don't know if I can or if I'm good enough to do that or not.

I was askign the question. Am I good enough to go out and find some people and start playing with other people?

My cousin is a good musician but he did things totally different then me. He started a band, didn't really know how to play and just got better by playing with other people. I've done hte complete opposite.

He played in a band in highschool, went to college for music and got a lot better. Now he's going to medical school trying to be a doctor. Me I've had a good paying job and have done things backwards from him.

I don't know if I'm good enough or young enough to do things this way and become a musician or not. Am I already a musician just in a different way? It was more a question.

I know confusing, but I wasn't trying to brag or impress people. It was an honest question.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 09.09.12 at 01:41 PM.