Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40
  1. #1
    Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.02.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,527
    Favorite VH Album

    5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

    5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

    11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Likes
    8
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

    Default Sammys wedding in '95 - VH seemed so close.

    I've got a photo from "The Inside" mag in 95, of Mike/Sue. Alex/His wife. Eddie/Valerie posing with Sammy and Kari. Its one of my fave VH photos ever, and it was taken at their wedding. Its annoying that about 12 months later, all that closeness and happiness ended and everything got so bitter.
    Sure, its great that Eddie and Dave are now on good terms, but I wish that the tension/friction never happaned between Sammy and Eddie. They were on a roll from "5150", right to "Humans being". What could've been if all was well between them??
    On a sidenote, is there any other wedding photos existing from Sammys wedding? Like, from celebrity mags at the time, like "Hello", etc. I've never seen a full shot of Kari's wedding gown ever.
    What is understood need not be discussed

    "Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

    "I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

  2. #2
    Sinner's Swing! johnnybeane's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.09
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    3,227
    Favorite VH Album

    Woman and children first
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 10:16 PM
    Likes
    358
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

    Default

    I remember that day.
    Was in line for 6 hours to meet Howard Stern in SF that morning.
    Later that week was in Village Music & the owner who knows im a VH nut told me that Sammy got married next door the other day.
    He said there were limos everywhere.
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

    With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

    NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

    My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

    "Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    45
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,933
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 10:26 PM
    Likes
    992
    Liked 1,384 Times in 759 Posts

    Default

    Hmmm...

    I think you underestimate the "talent" VH has for dysfunction.

    In 96 only, they were with Sammy, Mitch Malloy, DLR and Gary Cherone. And possibly Sass Jordan too.
    They also fired Bruce Fairbairn and got Glenn Ballard to produce. And the following year, they switched again to Mike Post, a terrible choice.

    All this stability with Sam got on Ed's nerves. He has a dark fascination with chaos, and in 1996, he got more than what he bargained for.
    Little Dreamer

  4. #4
    Good Enough Pacfanweb's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.04.02
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    1,873
    Favorite VH Album

    ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Outta Space
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Likes
    35
    Liked 559 Times in 303 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Hell, there's a great pic of Eddie and Sammy from the 2004 tour, on the plane, arms around each other and big smiles. They look very happy.

    And we know how the atmosphere really was the majority of that tour.


    It's a damn shame, really. I'm glad to be getting new music with Dave, truly. That's what I grew up with.

    But I loved all the Sammy stuff, too, and even if they weren't working together anymore, I wish they were on better terms, and I REALLY wish they could all act like adults (Dave included) and be able to maybe do some stuff together, even if it was Sam coming out to do one song when their tours crossed paths.

    I remember when Genesis, ALL the former members got together for their anniversary a few years ago, and Phil Collins said he'd be perfectly content to play drums and let Peter Gabriel sing if they decided to tour. That didn't happen, but at least they all could get together in one room and act like grownups.

    Dave can still be Dave and not have such an attitude towards Sam, and vice-versa. There's no reason for it at this point. Same with Eddie and Sam.

    Then on the other hand, none of these guys are 'really' adults, are they? They've been rock stars since they were very young, and they never really had to deal with "real life" have they? They've had people kissing their asses and telling them how great they were for decades, and pretty much partying non-stop, even before they made it.

    So I guess it's not realistic to expect them to act like adults, even in their older years.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

  5. #5
    Sinner's Swing! Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.28.12
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    3,642
    Favorite VH Album

    all 7
    Favorite VH Song

    ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Likes
    1,508
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

    Oh Yeah, real important to have a picture of the wedding dress, a must have for any VH fan, that way its like you are part of the family.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

    " I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

  6. #6
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    03.11.04
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    58
    Last Online

    01.27.17 @ 06:20 AM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    "I've got a photo from "The Inside" mag in 95, of Mike/Sue. Alex/His wife. Eddie/Valerie posing with Sammy and Kari. Its one of my fave VH photos ever, and it was taken at their wedding. Its annoying that about 12 months later, all that closeness and happiness ended and everything got so bitter. "


    It was more like 7 months. They got married in Nov. and "the call" was on Father's Day in June. I remember seeing that photo and how shocked I was when I heard the news on the local radio.

  7. #7
    Eruption Al Van Bundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.16.12
    Age
    27
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    775
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 10:07 AM
    Likes
    9
    Liked 353 Times in 182 Posts

    Default

    I blame Rush's manager.

  8. #8
    Eruption zoident's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.28.12
    Location
    CHICAGO
    Posts
    784
    Favorite VH Album

    adkot/wacf
    Favorite VH Song

    in a simple rhyme/as is
    Last Online

    01.15.16 @ 10:42 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

    Default your wish is my nightmare!

    [QUOTE=Dont disturb my Paradise;1558364]

    Sure, its great that Eddie and Dave are now on good terms, but I wish that the tension/friction never happaned between Sammy and Eddie. They were on a roll from "5150", right to "Humans being". What could've been if all was well between them??

    You say its great that ED and DAVE are on good terms OF COURSE its great because thats how it should be,thats VH bro!!
    So you say they were on a roll with sam. How about then the ROLL they were on when Dave quit!! from "vh1" right to "hot for teacher",if you call the sam years a roll then the DAVE years is a avalanche

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk Raldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.00
    Location
    Cromwell, CT USA
    Posts
    17,183
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Likes
    1,826
    Liked 1,474 Times in 899 Posts

    Default

    Maybe someday Ed and Sam will reconcile. With Ed cleaned up, it has a better chance of happening. But I'm not holding my breath.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

    In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

    "High speed, low drag."

    "Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

    Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

    Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

    got tequila?

    http://keepitaliveforever.com

  10. #10
    Hang 'Em High Reckless Fable's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.30.02
    Age
    40
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    6,501
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

    11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Likes
    2,246
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoident View Post

    You say its great that ED and DAVE are on good terms OF COURSE its great because thats how it should be,thats VH bro!!
    So you say they were on a roll with sam. How about then the ROLL they were on when Dave quit!! from "vh1" right to "hot for teacher",if you call the sam years a roll then the DAVE years is a avalanche

  11. #11
    Eruption
    Join Date
    01.03.12
    Age
    48
    Location
    Does it really matter?
    Posts
    1,379
    Favorite VH Album

    Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Likes
    154
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    Hell, there's a great pic of Eddie and Sammy from the 2004 tour, on the plane, arms around each other and big smiles. They look very happy.

    And we know how the atmosphere really was the majority of that tour.


    It's a damn shame, really. I'm glad to be getting new music with Dave, truly. That's what I grew up with.

    But I loved all the Sammy stuff, too, and even if they weren't working together anymore, I wish they were on better terms, and I REALLY wish they could all act like adults (Dave included) and be able to maybe do some stuff together, even if it was Sam coming out to do one song when their tours crossed paths.

    I remember when Genesis, ALL the former members got together for their anniversary a few years ago, and Phil Collins said he'd be perfectly content to play drums and let Peter Gabriel sing if they decided to tour. That didn't happen, but at least they all could get together in one room and act like grownups.

    Dave can still be Dave and not have such an attitude towards Sam, and vice-versa. There's no reason for it at this point. Same with Eddie and Sam.

    Then on the other hand, none of these guys are 'really' adults, are they? They've been rock stars since they were very young, and they never really had to deal with "real life" have they? They've had people kissing their asses and telling them how great they were for decades, and pretty much partying non-stop, even before they made it.

    So I guess it's not realistic to expect them to act like adults, even in their older years.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ - This
    It is what it is

    I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

    I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk Bad to the Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    8,945
    Favorite VH Album

    FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 05:09 AM
    Likes
    1,064
    Liked 1,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

    Default

    seems to me that Ed and Sam were great friends until about 91ish, then it got a little sour. 93 there was probably tension but they were still friends and it was kind of brushed aside. 95, same as 93 but a bit harder to push aside. At Sam's wedding...I don't think you can draw any conclusions from that pic.

    04, I honestly think Sam went in not knowing what a mess Eddie was and by the time he figured it out they had contracts signed and stuff...I blame Sammy for not taking the time to figure stuff out and just jumping in but at the same time, I think he wanted to have his buddy back.

    I think to this day had Ed Lefler not died the way he did that the band had a few more albums in them with Sam, maybe it would have eventually went south but still.....Daniels obviously sensed that things were not hunky dory with EVH and SH and exploited that.

    I still for the life of me can't figure out why it was so damn important to get a new song on the twister soundtrack at that time. Let's set aside any personal views on sammy's personallity for a sec (some people are convinced he's an asshole no matter what he does) and consider his wife is in Hawaii, pregnant with her first child (I think she was 7 or 8 months in when they decided to do twister)and the birth is to be a breach birth which is pretty hard but they just have to get new music out? they had enough stuff done for a double ablum for both FUCK and Balance (per Ed's interviews at the time), why not just give them one or two of those songs? I know the band was pretty much done at that point anyway but why exhasberate the situation? To top it off the movie sucked ass.

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    45
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,933
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 10:26 PM
    Likes
    992
    Liked 1,384 Times in 759 Posts

    Default

    Ed was super tight with Donn Landee -they were always working together, together all the time. Then after 1989, the dude was gone. EVH hasn't even mentioned his name since 1989. 23 years. Nothing - zero. Ed had even said Donn was the 5th member of the band. But it seems he's been "erased" from the band's history and is given no recognition nowadays.
    Sam had it easy in comparison. He was even calle back in 2004.
    Little Dreamer

  14. #14
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    08.23.11
    Age
    49
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,907
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 02:53 PM
    Likes
    2,489
    Liked 2,656 Times in 1,330 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Ed was super tight with Donn Landee -they were always working together, together all the time. Then after 1989, the dude was gone. EVH hasn't even mentioned his name since 1989. 23 years. Nothing - zero. Ed had even said Donn was the 5th member of the band. But it seems he's been "erased" from the band's history and is given no recognition nowadays.
    Sam had it easy in comparison. He was even calle back in 2004.
    I know, I swear Eddie is almost Stalin-like with the ease in which he simply erases people from history. Removed from compilations, removed from interview discussions, removed from album covers, removed from photos, removed from video games, etc. It's just astounding.

    Gary was his soul brother in what Eddie claimed was to be the final version of the band (multiple versions ago). When is the last time Eddie has even referred to Gary by name, or even by inference, 1999? 2000?
    Last edited by snowdog; 09.10.12 at 11:20 AM.

  15. #15
    Sinner's Swing! ED-A-HOLIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.11.01
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,936
    Favorite VH Album

    The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

    The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

    12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Likes
    378
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post
    Maybe someday Ed and Sam will reconcile. With Ed cleaned up, it has a better chance of happening. But I'm not holding my breath.
    Yeah maybe Sam should call Eddie and see how he's doing after his surgery.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

    "Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

    WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Sammys new sunglasses
    By DoHalen5150 in forum The Red Rocker
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12.06.09, 08:00 PM
  2. Questions about Sammys wedding in 1995?
    By Dont disturb my Paradise in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10.08.08, 06:51 AM
  3. Are you still close with your Best Man, Maid of Honor, or wedding party in general?
    By Double Down in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07.13.07, 08:25 PM
  4. Sammys current look!!!
    By Dont disturb my Paradise in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 03.23.07, 04:47 PM
  5. Sammys better than VH on his own!!!
    By Dont disturb my Paradise in forum The Red Rocker
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01.08.07, 02:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •