Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Good Enough
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 02:18 AM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Default A cool EVH story

I was in Chapters earlier and I came across Randy Bachman's autobiography. I know he's a VH fan and BTO opened for them the entire 5150 tour, so I looked up Van Halen in the index. There's a neat little section about how BTO ended up opening for VH on that tour. It was interesting to read, but what really struck me was at the end of that little section was his encounter with Eddie.

When Randy was very young he was tutored or taught by Lenny Breau, who was quite a hell of a jazz guitarist. Randy is actually quite a good jazz guy. I find his rock playing to be a bit boring and generic, but his jazz is really good, not surprising since he had such a genius for a teacher. Here's a little clip about Lenny if you are interested

Anyway, one night Randy is warming up before the show, playing his jazz, and Eddie pops his head in and says hey, how do you do that? So Eddie sits down and they trade licks and secrets etc.

Pretty cool, right?

So not long after that, Randy gets a call in the middle of the night from Eddie, who asks him to come to his room. Randy goes up, walks out of the elevator, and sees Eddie sitting outside his room, on the floor, with an acoustic guitar. Eddie asks him to sit down, then tells him he just found out a good childhood friend of his committed suicide, and how he's really upset because he can't attend the funeral because of the tour, then he tells Randy he's really feeling his friend's presence and he needs to play something for his dead friend, and would Randy sit with him. And for the next two and half hours Randy watches Eddie play what he described as mind-boggling stuff, he can't believe what he's seeing as a grieving Eddie plays for his friend.

I'm probably going to get the book cuz I'd like to know more about Randy's time with Lenny, and it seemed like a good read. I don't think there's a lot more about VH in it other than that, but it's a really great story that you won't find in any of the other autobiographies. It reminds me not to judge people, especially ones I don't know.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    I was in Chapters earlier and I came across Randy Bachman's autobiography. I know he's a VH fan and BTO opened for them the entire 5150 tour, so I looked up Van Halen in the index. There's a neat little section about how BTO ended up opening for VH on that tour. It was interesting to read, but what really struck me was at the end of that little section was his encounter with Eddie.

When Randy was very young he was tutored or taught by Lenny Breau, who was quite a hell of a jazz guitarist. Randy is actually quite a good jazz guy. I find his rock playing to be a bit boring and generic, but his jazz is really good, not surprising since he had such a genius for a teacher. Here's a little clip about Lenny if you are interested

Anyway, one night Randy is warming up before the show, playing his jazz, and Eddie pops his head in and says hey, how do you do that? So Eddie sits down and they trade licks and secrets etc.

Pretty cool, right?

So not long after that, Randy gets a call in the middle of the night from Eddie, who asks him to come to his room. Randy goes up, walks out of the elevator, and sees Eddie sitting outside his room, on the floor, with an acoustic guitar. Eddie asks him to sit down, then tells him he just found out a good childhood friend of his committed suicide, and how he's really upset because he can't attend the funeral because of the tour, then he tells Randy he's really feeling his friend's presence and he needs to play something for his dead friend, and would Randy sit with him. And for the next two and half hours Randy watches Eddie play what he described as mind-boggling stuff, he can't believe what he's seeing as a grieving Eddie plays for his friend.

I'm probably going to get the book cuz I'd like to know more about Randy's time with Lenny, and it seemed like a good read. I don't think there's a lot more about VH in it other than that, but it's a really great story that you won't find in any of the other autobiographies. It reminds me not to judge people, especially ones I don't know.

Very cool story, thanks for sharing. I've been meaning to pick that book up.

Favorite VH Album

adkot/wacf
    Favorite VH Song

in a simple rhyme/as is
    Last Online

01.15.16 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Default met the "other half" because of BTO

I think i wrote this before on the links but anyways i met BTO on that tour in Wisconsin when VH played Alpine Valley for the whole weekend. We went up there from CHICAGO for 2 gigs and that Saturday afternoon we went to lake Geneva and there we ran into them.They were really cool to us, but they slipped and told us where VH were staying and we took off in mid conversation literally,we were in a car and they on the street walking and we actually ran into sam and mike at the Americana hotel its crazy they were just walking in the hallway (one in a million).
    We hung out for about an hour we took a lot of pix with them and talked about a lot of stuff but we kept asking them were ED and AL are and can we meet them but sam made it seem that they would not be cool to us like sam and mike are,he also said dave wants to be a moviestar and when he signed my friends 5$ bill he told him its worth $20 now(wonder if my friend still has it?) and talked sports,sam even gave us a shout out from the stage that night (we kinda were asking him to dedicate a song to us and he did!!he said something like "this is for my chicago boys' and pointed to us we were right up front.
    It was a really cool weekend and a great memory for all 6 of us that went .. if it was Ed and Al that we met it be one of my best weekends EVER.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

thanks for sharing.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.