Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:39 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts

Default Massachusetts judge rules for inmate's sex-change surgery

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/04/health...html?hpt=hp_t3

(CNN) -- A federal court judge on Tuesday ordered Massachusetts officials to provide sex-reassignment surgery for a transsexual prison inmate, after determining that it was the only adequate treatment for the inmate's mental illness.

The state's Department of Correction said Michelle Kosilek, previously known as Robert, who is serving a life sentence without parole for murdering his wife in 1990, has a gender identity disorder.

She attempted to castrate herself and tried to commit suicide twice while incarcerated in an all-male prison in Norfolk, according to a court order.

"We are very happy with the ruling, of course. We are still reviewing the opinion and we anticipate the Department of Corrections will follow Judge Wolf's order and promptly arrange for Michelle Kosilek to receive her treatment," Kosilek's attorney Joseph Sulman said Tuesday.

Chief Judge Mark L. Wolf ruled that sex reassignment surgery is the "only adequate treatment" for Kosilek, and "that there is no less intrusive means to correct the prolonged violation of Kosilek's Eighth Amendment right to adequate medical care."

"This is the first decision in which the court has ordered a prison to provide sex reassignment surgery as the necessary medical treatment for a transsexual inmate," said Ben Klein, senior attorney with the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation in Boston.

But according to court documents, this ruling was not an unfamiliar case for this court.

Kosilek's case dates back two decades ago, when she was first incarcerated.

According to Francis Cohen, the lead counsel of Kosilek's initial lawsuit, Kosilek did not receive any treatment for her disorder from 1992 to 2002, even though she had repeatedly asked the prison for help.

It wasn't until 1999, when Kosilek first filed suit, that the court recognized her medical needs.

In 2002, the court found that the Department of Correction had refused to provide Kosilek with the proper medical treatment she needed as had been prescribed by the department's doctors.

In that ruling, the court found that the department's refusal was "rooted in sincere security concerns, and in fear of public and political criticism as well."

That year, Kosilek began to receive necessary medical treatments in the form of psychotherapy and hormone treatments.

"It's quite common that the denial of important medical treatments is based on a bias against transgender people rather than on science," Klein said.

A 2009 University of California, Irvine study of prison inmates in California found that a transgender inmate is 13 times more likely to be sexually assaulted than the average inmate, adding on to security concerns above medical ones.

"[Kosilek]'s very excited and very, very pleased. She's very glad the court has recognized her need for this surgery," Cohen said of her client.

According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, with all operations, therapy, hormone injections and electrolysis, the cost of sex reassignment surgery can range from $30,000 to $80,000.

U.S. Sen. Scott Brown, R-Massachusetts, said in a statement Tuesday that the court's decision is "an outrageous abuse of taxpayer dollars. ... I look forward to common sense prevailing and the ruling being overturned."

The court ruling left it up to the Department of Correction to decide where Kosilek will be incarcerated after the surgery.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:20 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Stuff like this makes republicans arguments look so much truer.

Why can't we get people that do sensible things? This is just...

No wonder liberalism gets bashed so much.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Ronny is rolling in his grave...

Appointed as a U.S. District Judge for the District of Massachusetts in 1985 by President Reagan, Judge Wolf became Chief Judge in 2006.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post

Appointed as a U.S. District Judge for the District of Massachusetts in 1985 by President Reagan, Judge Wolf became Chief Judge in 2006.
    Kinda ironic isn't it?

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:54 AM
    Liked 742 Times in 409 Posts

Premium Member

I do not get the purpose of this at all.

The sole reason of prison is to punish people for something they have done - by placing them in an area where they do not want to be.

If you believe the notion that you're transgendered - you believe that if you're a woman trapped in a mans body - meaning, you're in a place you don't want to be.

So - at that point, you're in prison. Why would anyone grant them 'release'? If there is a concern about suicide - put them in a high risk area. Ya, it'll be expensive, but cheaper then doing a sex change!
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post

RR's new movie will be titled "High Court Drifter" and will showcase him a "doer of good, righting all legal wrongs" done since he left us
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

doesn't seem right that someone out there who wants the same surgery but is law abiding and not in prison cannot afford to get the surgery....the point of which is to improve the persons quality of life

but this piece of crap who MURDERED someone and will never get out of prison is GIVEN a surgery

this person killed someone, so beyond three hots and cot and basic medical care why should anyone care about their well being? I know we are supposed to be civilized but they say the only way to treat this persons mental illness is with surgery

what do you do about inmates with claustrophobia? give them bigger cells with no bars and open windows?

there were recent articles about inmates getting life saving organ transplants as well while people on the outside are dying while on waiting lists

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

I hope some other guy who is serving life for murder does the tax payers a favor before this surgery occurs.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,159 Times in 8,975 Posts

Well, those are tax dollars well spent.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is so.... She can be more happy while serving her life sentence for murder? I don't get it.
    Staying Frosty

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Well, those are tax dollars well spent.
    MY TAX DOLLARS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Premium Member

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,159 Times in 8,975 Posts

The nose ring is photoshopped, right?
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Chief Federal Judge Wolfe To Retire

(Boston, MA) -- U.S. District Court Judge Mark Wolfe has announced he will retire from full-time status in 2013 and assume senior status. Under senior status, the 66-year-old Wolfe can limit himself to a certain number and type of cases he will preside over. In his letter to President Obama, Wolfe wrote it has been a privilege to serve on the federal court bench for 27-years and as its Chief Judge since 2006. "The Boston Globe" notes Wolfe has handled many of the most high profile cases in Massachusetts in recent years.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

WTFE

Maybe all the derogatory items directed at him for his decision on this finally sank in............
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.