Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:35 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Deaf preschooler may have to change sign for his name because it looks like a weapon

Deaf preschooler may have to change sign for his name because it ‘looks like a weapon’

Three and a half year old deaf preschooler named Hunter Spanjer has been told that he may actually have to change the sign for his name, which is an actual registered sign through Signing Exact English (SEE).

The Grand Island Public School (GIPS) system in Grand Island, Nebraska has a “Weapons in Schools” policy, Board Policy 8470, which forbids “any instrument … that looks like a weapon,” and apparently this includes the hands of a preschooler.

“He’s deaf, and his name sign, they say, is a violation of their weapons policy,” said Brian Spanjer, Hunter’s father, to local news outlet 1011 Now.

“Anybody that I have talked to thinks this is absolutely ridiculous,” said Janet Logue, Hunter’s grandmother. “This is not threatening in any way.”

The most absurd aspect of this situation is that the sign for Hunter’s name is actually a registered sign with SEE, which means that it is not some made up weapon-like gesture.

Jack Sheard, a spokesperson for the Grand Island Public Schools system, said that they will work with Hunter and his family but this indicates that they won’t just drop it.

“We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child,” Sheard said.

For now, this is all that GIPS officials will say about the situation, according to 1011 Now.

Thankfully, Hunter’s parents are already stepping up and taking action. They said that they are going to consult lawyers with the National Association of the Deaf to see what they say about Hunter’s right to sign his own name in school.

“It’s his name. It’s not like he’s going to bring a gun to school when he’s three years old,” said local resident Dana Schwieger.

“I find it very difficult to believe that the sign language that shows his name resembles a gun in any way would even enter a child’s mind,” said Fredda Bartenbach, another Grand Islander.

Three-and-a-half year old Hunter Spanjer, who is deaf, signs his name by crossing his forefinger and index finger and moving his hand up and down.
    To his family, friends and those who know the Signing Exact English (S.E.E.) language that the Grand Island, Neb., boy uses, that gesture uniquely means "Hunter Spanjer."

But to Hunter's school district, it might mean something else. The district claims that it violates a rule that forbids anything in the school that looks like a weapon, reports KOLN-TV.

And Hunter's parents claim that Grand Island Pubic Schools administrators have asked them to change their son's sign language name.

"Anybody that I have talked to thinks this is absolutely ridiculous," Hunter's grandmother Janet Logue told the TV station. "This is not threatening in any way."

Hunter's father Brian Spanjer said, "It's a symbol. It's an actual sign, a registered sign, through S.E.E."

The family told KOLN that lawyers from the National Association of the Deaf may push for Hunter's right to sign his name at the school.

Jack Sheard, Grand Island Public Schools spokesperson told KOLN, "We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child."
    One Grand Island resident said she disagrees with the school.

"I find it very difficult to believe that the sign language that shows his name resembles a gun in any way would even enter a child's mind," Fredda Bartenbach said in the news report.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:51 AM
    Liked 18,192 Times in 8,988 Posts

There was a thread yesterday in which I inquired whether as a country we could be any dumber.

This answers my question. Yes we can.

Maybe the dumbest thing I have ever read.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:56 AM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    There was a thread yesterday in which I inquired whether as a country we could be any dumber.

This answers my question. Yes we can.

Maybe the dumbest thing I have ever read.
    Yup, this is right up there with the third grader suspended from school for taking a chicken nugget that was somewhat shaped like a gun and pointing it at another person at lunch. I will agree though, this may actually be dumber. I don't know who to blame more, fuckin morons like the Columbine shooters or the authority figures that over react and make up these stupid policies because of the fuck turds in Colorado and other school shootings.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Irrespective of any weapons policy, can somebody please tell me how, in God's name, does that sign look like a gun or anything of a threatening nature???
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 6,712 Times in 3,730 Posts

Are people in this world really that f-ing stupid?

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Are people in this world really that f-ing stupid?
    Yes

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many!
    Last Online

12.04.14 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

So this is what the country has come to....unfuckingbelievable.....why can't the mayor or governor or whatever simply pull these idiots aside and say "Enough....pull your head out of your ass, knock it the fuck off and leave this kid alone"....this has got to be one of the most embarassingly, dumbest things I've ever heard of!
    Love should NOT be work, it should be as easy as breathing Dave's Dreidel

My god, our government has less secrets than Van Halen. Emperor Brett

I'm a Democrat and an Atheist, but I've yet to receive my ticket to Hell. Is this something I call Live Nation about or what? JakeK21

I feel it takes far more energy to hate than love. Well outside of Obamacare, How Many Say I and Heineken beer. ziggysmalls

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

They tried to suspend my son in the first grade because he was imitating these notorious gangsters.

I settled for him having an assigned seat on the bus, as I just didn't want to spend the fucking money on a lawyer.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 06:29 AM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    They tried to suspend my son in the first grade because he was imitating these notorious gangsters.

I settled for him having an assigned seat on the bus, as I just didn't want to spend the fucking money on a lawyer.

You should have driven him in the big red car instead.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Toot toot chugga chugga big red car!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:35 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Deaf Grand Island toddler keeps his name sign

http://www.khastv.com/news/local/Dea...177130521.html

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Deaf preschooler may have to change sign for his name because it ‘looks like a weapon’

Three and a half year old deaf preschooler named Hunter Spanjer has been told that he may actually have to change the sign for his name, which is an actual registered sign through Signing Exact English (SEE).

The Grand Island Public School (GIPS) system in Grand Island, Nebraska has a “Weapons in Schools” policy, Board Policy 8470, which forbids “any instrument … that looks like a weapon,” and apparently this includes the hands of a preschooler.

“He’s deaf, and his name sign, they say, is a violation of their weapons policy,” said Brian Spanjer, Hunter’s father, to local news outlet 1011 Now.

“Anybody that I have talked to thinks this is absolutely ridiculous,” said Janet Logue, Hunter’s grandmother. “This is not threatening in any way.”

The most absurd aspect of this situation is that the sign for Hunter’s name is actually a registered sign with SEE, which means that it is not some made up weapon-like gesture.

Jack Sheard, a spokesperson for the Grand Island Public Schools system, said that they will work with Hunter and his family but this indicates that they won’t just drop it.

“We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child,” Sheard said.

For now, this is all that GIPS officials will say about the situation, according to 1011 Now.

Thankfully, Hunter’s parents are already stepping up and taking action. They said that they are going to consult lawyers with the National Association of the Deaf to see what they say about Hunter’s right to sign his own name in school.

“It’s his name. It’s not like he’s going to bring a gun to school when he’s three years old,” said local resident Dana Schwieger.

“I find it very difficult to believe that the sign language that shows his name resembles a gun in any way would even enter a child’s mind,” said Fredda Bartenbach, another Grand Islander.

Three-and-a-half year old Hunter Spanjer, who is deaf, signs his name by crossing his forefinger and index finger and moving his hand up and down.
    To his family, friends and those who know the Signing Exact English (S.E.E.) language that the Grand Island, Neb., boy uses, that gesture uniquely means "Hunter Spanjer."

But to Hunter's school district, it might mean something else. The district claims that it violates a rule that forbids anything in the school that looks like a weapon, reports KOLN-TV.

And Hunter's parents claim that Grand Island Pubic Schools administrators have asked them to change their son's sign language name.

"Anybody that I have talked to thinks this is absolutely ridiculous," Hunter's grandmother Janet Logue told the TV station. "This is not threatening in any way."

Hunter's father Brian Spanjer said, "It's a symbol. It's an actual sign, a registered sign, through S.E.E."

The family told KOLN that lawyers from the National Association of the Deaf may push for Hunter's right to sign his name at the school.

Jack Sheard, Grand Island Public Schools spokesperson told KOLN, "We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child."
    One Grand Island resident said she disagrees with the school.

"I find it very difficult to believe that the sign language that shows his name resembles a gun in any way would even enter a child's mind," Fredda Bartenbach said in the news report.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton