Favorite VH Album

Wings...not rings! ROTH ERA!
    Favorite VH Song

Not a Roth song I DON'T like!
    Last Online

10.15.12 @ 08:54 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Van Halen Article w/ Peter Strobl Voice Coach & Working with VH

Imagine a world without Eddie Van Halen.

"From the moment David Lee Roth appeared at the top of a giant runway that snaked through the Oklahoma City Ford Center audience Tuesday night, he wore the one thing that told every Van Halen fan that everything was right with the world. It was a maniacal Cheshire cat smile announcing happiness and enthusiasm that cannot be faked. Not only was the old band back together, it was thriving."

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 07:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very interesting read, thanks!
    <Insert favorite VH song lyrics here>

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Pretty interesting read. When I read the thread title I automatically assumed it was about Dave working with a vocal coach. But Ed has improved his background vocals, that gruff voice he's had isn't as noticeable now, and Wolfgang's vocals really do sound good. I don't know if Dave is working with anyone but he should. When he was talking about the air conditioning and fans in large arenas I though for sure he was going to reference Dave but he curiously avoided mentioning him in any way at all. A good read though.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 01:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for the link share and positive feedback.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:23 PM
    Liked 283 Times in 151 Posts

This article makes me appreciate MA even more.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 PM
    Liked 2,210 Times in 1,114 Posts

Premium Member

Cool article.

It's probably considered blasphemy around here to say this because of the situation, but the BG vocals on this tour sounded as good as they ever have been--perhaps even better than ever. A lot of that was because Ed was really trying, but Wolfie held his own and really had that powerful voice in the upper registers. According to the article it was a major focus for Ed and Wolf...and it showed.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Well, WVH has a great work ethic, and this really confirms it

Good for him
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 1,463 Times in 898 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evhisagod View Post
    Well, WVH has a great work ethic, and this really confirms it

Good for him
    No doubt he takes his craft seriously.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Pretty interesting read. When I read the thread title I automatically assumed it was about Dave working with a vocal coach. But Ed has improved his background vocals, that gruff voice he's had isn't as noticeable now, and Wolfgang's vocals really do sound good. I don't know if Dave is working with anyone but he should. When he was talking about the air conditioning and fans in large arenas I though for sure he was going to reference Dave but he curiously avoided mentioning him in any way at all. A good read though.
    We may now know why Dave was venting so hard. He may have been intervening on Ed's behalf, and that would also explain the long rope on the rants.
    EDDIE IS THE ULTIMATE ROCK DOG!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 2,801 Times in 1,450 Posts

Common theme when neutral parties discuss Wolf...."hard worker". The kid may have been put into a great spot....but he didn't take it lightly and worked hard to take advantage of an opportunity.

Some football coach said something like "Good luck is when preparation meets opportunity". Note that Alex's kid isn't in the band....because Wolf worked to become a good musician and that allowed Eddie to consider the idea of him being in the band in the first place.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    Common theme when neutral parties discuss Wolf...."hard worker". The kid may have been put into a great spot....but he didn't take it lightly and worked hard to take advantage of an opportunity.

Some football coach said something like "Good luck is when preparation meets opportunity". Note that Alex's kid isn't in the band....because Wolf worked to become a good musician and that allowed Eddie to consider the idea of him being in the band in the first place.
    I have no doubt that Ed would never put his kid in the band if he wasn't really good, and he would never put him onstage in front of 16,000 people if he couldn't cut it, and Alex wouldn't let him do that either. And for sure there's no way Dave would have rejoined the band if Wolf couldn't keep up. I think it's pretty clear that Wolf isn't some spoiled flake riding on his rock star dad's coattails. The kid is really good and has worked really hard to live up to his last name.

Unchained
    Last Online

11.22.17 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 237 Times in 80 Posts

I noticed this part in particular:
    Cold air is always not too great because your body is trying to stay warm, but dryness is a lot more difficult to deal with than cold temperature. I think air conditioning and fans and moving air are really difficult because that tends to dry things out. I would rather sing in a humid, muggy atmosphere than in either a hot or cold dry atmosphere. I think itís really hard on your voice.
    Huh...kind of puts a new spin/perspective on the blower rants.

Favorite VH Album

women and children first
    Favorite VH Song

rdelight/5150/beats workin
    Last Online

11.29.12 @ 08:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Cool article.

It's probably considered blasphemy around here to say this because of the situation, but the BG vocals on this tour sounded as good as they ever have been--perhaps even better than ever. A lot of that was because Ed was really trying, but Wolfie held his own and really had that powerful voice in the upper registers. According to the article it was a major focus for Ed and Wolf...and it showed.
    couldnt agree more... ed sounds waaay better live then he has for a long time, and wolfie sounds great. minus dave going in and out they sound better then i have heard them....damn i hope they keep this together for another 2 albums and tours or more!!

Favorite VH Album

adkot/wacf
    Favorite VH Song

in a simple rhyme/as is
    Last Online

01.15.16 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Cool article.

Could not agree more I feel the the same in fact I think the back up vocals sound better than ever.the kid really pulled it off and he should be hailed for his skills

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 64 Posts

When I saw this article I too assumed it would have something to do with Dave. I am glad to see Ed and Wolfe are using a vocal coach and I think it showed from whatching the tour. I think personally think that Wolfe was probably kind of a taskmaster on Ed for this tour and I would bet that Wolfe wanted to make sure that Ed plays great from here on out. They say that you are only as good as your last performance so when Ed decides to call it a day, I want to remember him playing at the top of his game and I'm sure Wolfe does too. His playing is way to special to be remembered for 2004.

As for Dave, if he is using a vocal coach then good for him. I think it would certainly benefit him in every way. I don't want to bash him too much but I just don't understand why he does some of the things he does. Everyone knows that his range is limited and that he also forgets words and clowns around. That's Dave. I just don't get why he tries to reach notes that are clearly out of range for him and I don't know why he went and changed the melody in DTNA. That was pretty horrid when the original melody is just so great. I would think a vocal coach would shutter at the way he uses his voice sometimes. He seems to sing in ways that would certainly strain his voice. I just think he could easily get by with a less is more approach and stay within a normal range for him instead of going for notes he should'nt.

I love Mike but Wolfe has really stepped up and I am amazed at his progress. He should defiantely be applauded for his efforts.
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH