Register
Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:42 PM
    Liked 6,688 Times in 3,708 Posts

Default Jimmy Kimmel moving into competition with Leno, Letterman

LOS ANGELES, CALIF. —Jimmy Kimmel Live is moving into the thick of the late-night fight against Jay Leno and David Letterman, ABC said Tuesday, bumping Nightline from its longtime perch.

Starting in January, Kimmel's talk show will shift from 12:05 a.m. Eastern to the 11:35 p.m. Eastern time slot long held by the news magazine, taking advantage of Kimmel's ratings growth and the potential for greater ad revenue, the network said.

“The most exciting thing is having a bigger audience,” Kimmel said. “You work all day on the show and you want as many people to see you as possible.”

Nightline will swap places with Kimmel's show, airing at 12:35 a.m. Eastern, and will get a weekly prime-time hour starting in March, ABC said.

Kimmel's show will move to 11:35 p.m. Eastern on Jan. 8, with Nightline starting an hour later on the next night, Jan. 9, and debuting in prime time on March 1.

“Given the passionate fan base Jimmy Kimmel Live has built over the past decade, and the show's ratings and creative momentum this season, the time is right to make this move,” Anne Sweeney, co-chair, Disney Media Networks and president, Disney/ABC Television Group, said in a statement.

Nightline has been a strong performer in its 11:35 p.m. slot, averaging 3.9 million viewers to best both NBC's Tonight Show with Leno and CBS' Late Show with Letterman.

But there is more advertiser demand for entertainment programming at that hour, Sweeney said, creating the opportunity for “far greater upside over the long term.”

What became Nightline originated in November 1979 as 15-minute updates on the Iranian hostage crisis airing nightly at 11:30 p.m. Titled The Iran Crisis — America Held Hostage, this late-night newscast was greeted by many viewers as a welcome alternative to NBC's Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson.

“Nightline has proven its ability to grow over three decades on the air with the show currently enjoying some of its highest ratings and best editorial work ever,” Ben Sherwood, president of ABC News, said in a statement.

He said the news magazine welcomed the chance to produce a prime-time hour for a new audience and expressed confidence it will “enjoy many successes for years to come.”

Last season, Letterman averaged 3.22 million viewers; Leno, 3.71 million; Nightline, 3.89 million; and Kimmel, 1.8 million. The talk-show figures include the second half-hour that includes drowsy audience drop-off.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Must be getting old.....have not watched a late night show (post 1130) on a weeknight in years

I found that I had to be sober to follow and made the determination that I was not strong enough to do it
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:22 PM
    Liked 3,114 Times in 1,825 Posts

Premium Member

The time might be right for this. Kimmel is funny, and from what I understand he's a very hard worker.

Add to that that NBC made one of the most historical blunders in TV history, tarnishing the Tonight Show brand and Jay Leno's reputation in the process, there is now room for someone to swoop in. Remember, this comes on the heels of major cutbacks at the Tonight Show, which was NBC's most profitable show when Leno left, lost money during Conan's tenure, and now needed to be cut back.

With Kimmel hosting the Emmys, he is on the rise, and this move shows it. The Tonight Show is down 2-3 million viewers per night since the end of Leno's first tenure, and most of them haven't found a home elsewhere. Kimmel could race out front if he does this right.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

Not a Jimmy fan at all, but I hope he takes Leno down so Dave can finally win the late night wars.

Leno is fucking horrible.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpaw View Post
    Not a Jimmy fan at all, but I hope he takes Leno down so Dave can finally win the late night wars.

Leno is fucking horrible.
    I don't see that happening. Kimmel is much, much more likely to pull viewers from Dave than Leno. NBC did to Jay what Dave couldn't do after Hugh Grant propelled Jay past him. Now, those viewers that NBC lost for Jay are less committed to him and many could end up with Jimmy.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Isn't it 2nd grade knowledge that Leno is horrible? Don't the schools teach that along with 2+2?

I'm a Kimmel fan. Funny (unlike Leno) and has enthusiasm for the show, which I think Letterman has lost lately. Dave just doesn't seem into it, but I still watch his show from time to time. I'm always amazed by the amount of stars Kimmel is able to bring in for skits and interviews, so I think that's a good indicator that even more celebrities will flock to Kimmel instead of the others.

If it's a disaster, then hopefully him and Adam Carolla can start up the Man Show again.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I don't see that happening. Kimmel is much, much more likely to pull viewers from Dave than Leno..
    I couldn't disagree more.

I think Letterman fans are loyal, they followed him to CBS and stuck with him all this time. Leno on the other hand, is a hack who has been phoning it in for at least a decade. And now after the Conan disaster, I think his fans are a lot more fickle than Letterman fans.

We'll see happens I guess

Last Online

Premium Member

I couldn't disagree more.

I think Letterman fans are loyal, they followed him to CBS and stuck with him all this time. Leno on the other hand, is a hack who has been phoning it in for at least a decade. And now after the Conan disaster, I think his fans are a lot more fickle than Letterman fans.

We'll see happens I guess
    My point was that Leno's been back at the Tonight Show for over 2 years. Before the fiasco he had about 5-6 million viewers per night. Post Conan, he has 3-4 million per night. But in all that time, including the years and years prior, Dave's ratings stayed the same, about 3-3.5 million. When Conan started bleeding viewers at the Tonight Show they weren't going to Dave, and Leno's viewers haven't gone to Dave either. So I don't know why anyone would think that all of a sudden, with MORE competition at 11:35pm, why all of a sudden now Dave would have a surge? It just doesn't make sense. Of course, anything is possible, but I just can't see any reason to predict that happening.

Anyway, there's no way Leno can be described as a hack. Even his biggest comedian "haters" will also tell you he was one of the best stand-up comics of his generation. Just because he became the McDonald's hamburger of late night--which worked, btw, because he's been number 1, and while the Tonight show was decimated along with his reputation, he's still number 1--doesn't make him a hack. We can debate him "selling out," or you can think his current late-night material is uninspired, but neither of those equal hack.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    My point was that Leno's been back at the Tonight Show for over 2 years. Before the fiasco he had about 5-6 million viewers per night. Post Conan, he has 3-4 million per night. But in all that time, including the years and years prior, Dave's ratings stayed the same, about 3-3.5 million. When Conan started bleeding viewers at the Tonight Show they weren't going to Dave, and Leno's viewers haven't gone to Dave either. So I don't know why anyone would think that all of a sudden, with MORE competition at 11:35pm, why all of a sudden now Dave would have a surge? It just doesn't make sense. Of course, anything is possible, but I just can't see any reason to predict that happening.

Leno was a good standup comedian, pre-tonight show. But now he's become a hack.

I never said anyone was going to leave Leno and start watching Dave. Dave's numbers will probably stay the same and that's fine. But if Kimmel can steal some of Jay's audience then the two of them will be under Dave

"Last season, Letterman averaged 3.22 million viewers; Leno, 3.71 million; Nightline, 3.89 million; and Kimmel, 1.8 million."

Kimmel won't get all of the Nightline numbers, but if he can steal about 600-700k from Leno, Dave should come out on top.

Like I said, we'll see what happens, I wouldn't be surprised if ABC gave Jimmy like 3 weeks to be number one before fucking him like NBC fucked Conan.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:12 PM
    Liked 851 Times in 398 Posts

Premium Member

Default ..

my wife and i really like Jimmy. we watch the monologue every night before we go to bed. i'd love to see him take over Jay and Dave, especially Jay.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:42 PM
    Liked 6,688 Times in 3,708 Posts

I'm guessing its a non factor in the ratings. Jay will be the king of late night til he quits.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Last Online

Premium Member

Leno was a good standup comedian, pre-tonight show. But now he's become a hack.

I never said anyone was going to leave Leno and start watching Dave. Dave's numbers will probably stay the same and that's fine. But if Kimmel can steal some of Jay's audience then the two of them will be under Dave

"Last season, Letterman averaged 3.22 million viewers; Leno, 3.71 million; Nightline, 3.89 million; and Kimmel, 1.8 million."

Kimmel won't get all of the Nightline numbers, but if he can steal about 600-700k from Leno, Dave should come out on top.

Like I said, we'll see what happens, I wouldn't be surprised if ABC gave Jimmy like 3 weeks to be number one before fucking him like NBC fucked Conan.
    Leno still has the touch; his stand-up shows aren't the same as his Tonight Show monologue. He changed his on-air act to appeal to the largest number of people. It's why he was number one and remains number one despite a huge hit to the franchise and his reputation.

I guess what I am saying is that the 2-3 million that left Leno in the 09/10 clusterfuck haven't landed anywhere, and Kimmel might be a new spot. There's a reason Conan didn't want 12:05. Most people watch the monologue and the first guest and that's it. By bumping up a half hour, some of those lost viewers may check out "something new" that they weren't awake to ever see before. But they may also not find Kimmel to be their cup of tea.

Kimmel SLAMMED Leno on Leno's show. A lot of Leno's fans really dislike him for that. It's actually ironic because Kimmel's best friend and usual partner, Adam Carolla, is good friends with Leno.

NBC screwed the pooch, for sure, but they screwed the pooch with decisions they made in 2004, and the need to make a decision was forced upon them by Conan in 2004. Kimmel's situation is much different.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

Leno....Letterman.....Kimmel.....Conan....

None of them can touch Jon Steward....

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:08 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

Its very funny to me to read this thread. Every one of these guys are talented. Each is different though. Some of you are speculating on things happening based on your personal opinion and passing it off as fact LMAO!

Who efffing cares if any of them take a viewer from the other!
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by OLO View Post
    Its very funny to me to read this thread. Every one of these guys are talented. Each is different though. Some of you are speculating on things happening based on your personal opinion and passing it off as fact LMAO!

Who efffing cares if any of them take a viewer from the other!
    I like Leno, Fallon, Kimmel, and Ferguson. Dave can be okay at times, but I don't dislike him (though he seems to have the most personal flaws of them all, but who doesn't have flaws, ya know?). I like Conan too, but I also hear he's not the nicest guy in the world. I've actually been to a taping of both Conan and the Tonight Show, and I may see Ferguson next year. I'd see Fallon if he were in LA, and I may go see Kimmel sometime too.

But I also think that Leno wrongly took the fall for some really bad decisions by NBC, so I'll defend him.

I should say, though, congrats to Kimmel. I think he is a good guy, and this is a move forward for him.