Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

Default Ted Templeman & Donn Landee

..sorry think these guys deserve some respect..looking back in the rearview mirror priceless !
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..

..Think it was easy ?..you stare at an album
    Cover that long..

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 1,882 Times in 1,099 Posts

I sat back and listened to the gene simmons demo's the band did the other day. It made me wonder how big they would have been had they signed with casablanca records at the time.

I think templeman's influence was a tremendous asset for the band...I also recently came across Montrose playing on some radio station prior to the release of thier first album (I don't even think the guy who introduces them knows sammy's name at that point) and it's not nearly as strong as what eventually came out on the first Montrose disk.

I also don't think the Simmons demo's can hold a candle to what was eventually released on VH. Templeman and Landee did a great job with BOTH Montrose and with Van Halen.

I've always wondered what exactly happned between Ted and the band when Dave left, I know Dave had a prior commitment to DAve so he couldn't do 5150 but I always got the feeling that Ed didn't really like Ted all that much, then when he came back into the fold for FUCK I remember reading an interview about how strange it seemed to have Ted back around.....but Ed worked as co-producer with Ted on the Private Life album.

Same with Don Landee.....I've never figured out why he just vanished. Yes OU812 does not hold up well sonically but Ed and donn seeemed to have a great relationship in terms of bringing Ed's ideas out and getting them on tape.

I heard they actually had a physical confrontation at one point....never actually heard the full story.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I've never figured out why he just vanished. Yes OU812 does not hold up well sonically but Ed and donn seeemed to have a great relationship in terms of bringing Ed's ideas out and getting them on tape.

I heard they actually had a physical confrontation at one point....never actually heard the full story.
    Maybe that's why he vanished.

Who DIDN'T Ed have a physical confrotation with? My God, grown men with responsibilities acting like they're still in High School. "Fuck you", no "Fuck YOU"! Put your dukes up!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

08.06.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post

Who DIDN'T Ed have a physical confrotation with? My God, grown men with responsibilities acting like they're still in High School. "Fuck you", no "Fuck YOU"! Put your dukes up!
    Insert cup joke.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

eh.....you could probably do an in depth psycological analysis of Edward Van Halen at that point (88ish) and it would probably come back as the exact same as your average high schooler. Drink alot, play music and get in fights with your friends over little things...the problem is when you do it day in and day out for years on end the little things end up not being so little anymore and that's probably what happened with Ed and Donn...it was prolly something little and it got exhasbirated (sp)....hell, might be the same for alot of people who were frieds with Ed at one time or another.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

eh.....you could probably do an in depth psycological analysis of Edward Van Halen at that point (88ish) and it would probably come back as the exact same as your average high schooler. Drink alot, play music and get in fights with your friends over little things...the problem is when you do it day in and day out for years on end the little things end up not being so little anymore and that's probably what happened with Ed and Donn...it was prolly something little and it got exhasbirated (sp)....hell, might be the same for alot of people who were frieds with Ed at one time or another.
    This is more than likely what transpired.

I would LOVE to have seen something like the "Classic Albums" series on VH. Van Halen I, Fair Warning, and 1984. TT, Don Landee, and the boys reminiscing about the making. Oh VH, why can't you be like other bands!

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

This is more than likely what transpired.

I would LOVE to have seen something like the "Classic Albums" series on VH. Van Halen I, Fair Warning, and 1984. TT, Don Landee, and the boys reminiscing about the making. Oh VH, why can't you be like other bands!

I dunno if they could ever really do that. You'd have to have everyone involved to get everyone's perspective.....that would mean Mike would have to say something about some aspect and that would open up a whole huge can of worms.

I wonder who has been with the band for the longest period of time....an outsider who was always there....it would be VERY interesting to get an interview with donn and hear him talk about everything....the relationship between Ed and Dave and how it changed over the years, the intro of Sam into the band etc.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 2,801 Times in 1,450 Posts

Oh VH, why can't you be like other bands!
    I hear ya. Would be nice to have things out there like videos of old concerts and other cool things that fans of other bands get.

But....maybe this is all part of the DNA of VH and them being "different" on stuff like this is just all a part of them being "different" about things we love about them?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I dunno if they could ever really do that. You'd have to have everyone involved to get everyone's perspective.....that would mean Mike would have to say something about some aspect and that would open up a whole huge can of worms.

I wonder who has been with the band for the longest period of time....an outsider who was always there....it would be VERY interesting to get an interview with donn and hear him talk about everything....the relationship between Ed and Dave and how it changed over the years, the intro of Sam into the band etc.
    I know what you mean about having everyone involved, but it could've just been Ed with TT and Donn Landee, but it'll never happen.

An interview with Landee would be "VERY interesting" as you say, but it's just another example that makes me annoyed with this band. EVERYBODY associated with this band from a technical perspective, in regards to Roth era, has always been silent including the band themselves. I don't understand the thinking behind it other then shyness, privacy, or maybe they just don't give a f**k about talking about these things. It sure would be exciting from a fan perspective though.

Eruption
    Last Online

10.31.17 @ 07:54 AM
    Liked 144 Times in 100 Posts

I sat back and listened to the gene simmons demo's the band did the other day. It made me wonder how big they would have been had they signed with casablanca records at the time.

I think templeman's influence was a tremendous asset for the band...I also recently came across Montrose playing on some radio station prior to the release of thier first album (I don't even think the guy who introduces them knows sammy's name at that point) and it's not nearly as strong as what eventually came out on the first Montrose disk.
    Did you find that on the internet somewhere? Would be cool to hear some early Montrose, before their first official release.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Call it a hunch but Ed probably held a grudge when Ted sided with Dave in the split. As we know Ed holds grudges like a motherfucker.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

This is the first I'd heard of a physical confrontation between Ed and Donn. I do know that both were kinda digging in their heels as far as which direction they wanted to go sonically speaking, and OU812 was a huge disappointment as far as sound. I kinda tend to think it was more a fault in the mastering process. I mean, if you check out the Guitar World issue where the interviewers visited right in the home stretch of recording, the bands reaction to how it sounded through the monitors was amazing. Mike said the "fur was risin'! " So what the hell happened? Sounded like a blanket was thrown on the whole production.
    That said,though recorded analog, it was also their first album that was actually engineered for digital production in conjunction with release on vinyl and tape.

No excuse though...Many other productions were great sounding during this time, so maybe just the wrong guys doing the conversion from the analog tape to digital? I have no idea how much Landee was involved with this phase of production. Maybe he just lost his passion. He pretty much retired from engineering/production, right around that time, and started his consulting firm....Who knows for sure. Ed and Donn were pretty close, especially from 84' and 5150, and was hugely instrumental for the development of 5150, and the equipment acquired and used.
    Hate to think they had a falling out like with Mike. I've heard that Donn is one of the most genuine guys, who'd give his right nut to make things work.

And here I was hoping I'd see them work together again some day.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:32 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Call it a hunch but Ed probably held a grudge when Ted sided with Dave in the split. As we know Ed holds grudges like a motherfucker.
    we got a winner!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 1,463 Times in 898 Posts

Maybe VH wanted to try something different. Could be as simple as that but as we know with VH....sometimes things ain't so simple.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com