Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51
  1. #1
    Eruption
    Join Date
    07.31.00
    Location
    Baltimore Maryland
    Posts
    1,226
    Last Online

    08.02.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts

    Default Ted Templeman & Donn Landee

    ..sorry think these guys deserve some respect..looking back in the rearview mirror priceless !
    ..In 1984 Van Halen Jumped Panama
    Topped Jimmy & Dropped Dead Legs
    ..Ill Wait in this House of Pain with the
    Girl Gone Bad while I am really Hot for Teacher..


    ..Think it was easy ?..you stare at an album
    Cover that long..

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk Bad to the Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    8,945
    Favorite VH Album

    FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Likes
    1,064
    Liked 1,882 Times in 1,099 Posts

    Default

    I sat back and listened to the gene simmons demo's the band did the other day. It made me wonder how big they would have been had they signed with casablanca records at the time.

    I think templeman's influence was a tremendous asset for the band...I also recently came across Montrose playing on some radio station prior to the release of thier first album (I don't even think the guy who introduces them knows sammy's name at that point) and it's not nearly as strong as what eventually came out on the first Montrose disk.

    I also don't think the Simmons demo's can hold a candle to what was eventually released on VH. Templeman and Landee did a great job with BOTH Montrose and with Van Halen.

    I've always wondered what exactly happned between Ted and the band when Dave left, I know Dave had a prior commitment to DAve so he couldn't do 5150 but I always got the feeling that Ed didn't really like Ted all that much, then when he came back into the fold for FUCK I remember reading an interview about how strange it seemed to have Ted back around.....but Ed worked as co-producer with Ted on the Private Life album.

    Same with Don Landee.....I've never figured out why he just vanished. Yes OU812 does not hold up well sonically but Ed and donn seeemed to have a great relationship in terms of bringing Ed's ideas out and getting them on tape.

    I heard they actually had a physical confrontation at one point....never actually heard the full story.

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    15,612
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Likes
    4,313
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I've never figured out why he just vanished. Yes OU812 does not hold up well sonically but Ed and donn seeemed to have a great relationship in terms of bringing Ed's ideas out and getting them on tape.

    I heard they actually had a physical confrontation at one point....never actually heard the full story.
    Maybe that's why he vanished.

    Who DIDN'T Ed have a physical confrotation with? My God, grown men with responsibilities acting like they're still in High School. "Fuck you", no "Fuck YOU"! Put your dukes up!

  4. #4
    Eruption lmr5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.13.02
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,268
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Right Now
    Last Online

    08.06.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Likes
    8
    Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Maybe that's why he vanished.

    Who DIDN'T Ed have a physical confrotation with? My God, grown men with responsibilities acting like they're still in High School. "Fuck you", no "Fuck YOU"! Put your dukes up!
    Insert cup joke.

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk Bad to the Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    8,945
    Favorite VH Album

    FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Likes
    1,064
    Liked 1,882 Times in 1,099 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Maybe that's why he vanished.

    Who DIDN'T Ed have a physical confrotation with? My God, grown men with responsibilities acting like they're still in High School. "Fuck you", no "Fuck YOU"! Put your dukes up!
    eh.....you could probably do an in depth psycological analysis of Edward Van Halen at that point (88ish) and it would probably come back as the exact same as your average high schooler. Drink alot, play music and get in fights with your friends over little things...the problem is when you do it day in and day out for years on end the little things end up not being so little anymore and that's probably what happened with Ed and Donn...it was prolly something little and it got exhasbirated (sp)....hell, might be the same for alot of people who were frieds with Ed at one time or another.

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    15,612
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Likes
    4,313
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    eh.....you could probably do an in depth psycological analysis of Edward Van Halen at that point (88ish) and it would probably come back as the exact same as your average high schooler. Drink alot, play music and get in fights with your friends over little things...the problem is when you do it day in and day out for years on end the little things end up not being so little anymore and that's probably what happened with Ed and Donn...it was prolly something little and it got exhasbirated (sp)....hell, might be the same for alot of people who were frieds with Ed at one time or another.
    This is more than likely what transpired.

    I would LOVE to have seen something like the "Classic Albums" series on VH. Van Halen I, Fair Warning, and 1984. TT, Don Landee, and the boys reminiscing about the making. Oh VH, why can't you be like other bands!

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk Bad to the Bone's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.05.02
    Age
    45
    Location
    Detroit MI
    Posts
    8,945
    Favorite VH Album

    FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Likes
    1,064
    Liked 1,882 Times in 1,099 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    This is more than likely what transpired.

    I would LOVE to have seen something like the "Classic Albums" series on VH. Van Halen I, Fair Warning, and 1984. TT, Don Landee, and the boys reminiscing about the making. Oh VH, why can't you be like other bands!

    I dunno if they could ever really do that. You'd have to have everyone involved to get everyone's perspective.....that would mean Mike would have to say something about some aspect and that would open up a whole huge can of worms.

    I wonder who has been with the band for the longest period of time....an outsider who was always there....it would be VERY interesting to get an interview with donn and hear him talk about everything....the relationship between Ed and Dave and how it changed over the years, the intro of Sam into the band etc.

  8. #8
    Baluchitherium Harpospoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.12.12
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,286
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Likes
    10,119
    Liked 2,801 Times in 1,450 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Oh VH, why can't you be like other bands!
    I hear ya. Would be nice to have things out there like videos of old concerts and other cool things that fans of other bands get.

    But....maybe this is all part of the DNA of VH and them being "different" on stuff like this is just all a part of them being "different" about things we love about them?

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    15,612
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Likes
    4,313
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I dunno if they could ever really do that. You'd have to have everyone involved to get everyone's perspective.....that would mean Mike would have to say something about some aspect and that would open up a whole huge can of worms.

    I wonder who has been with the band for the longest period of time....an outsider who was always there....it would be VERY interesting to get an interview with donn and hear him talk about everything....the relationship between Ed and Dave and how it changed over the years, the intro of Sam into the band etc.
    I know what you mean about having everyone involved, but it could've just been Ed with TT and Donn Landee, but it'll never happen.

    An interview with Landee would be "VERY interesting" as you say, but it's just another example that makes me annoyed with this band. EVERYBODY associated with this band from a technical perspective, in regards to Roth era, has always been silent including the band themselves. I don't understand the thinking behind it other then shyness, privacy, or maybe they just don't give a f**k about talking about these things. It sure would be exciting from a fan perspective though.

  10. #10
    Eruption
    Join Date
    08.31.00
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    841
    Last Online

    10.31.17 @ 07:54 AM
    Likes
    163
    Liked 144 Times in 100 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I sat back and listened to the gene simmons demo's the band did the other day. It made me wonder how big they would have been had they signed with casablanca records at the time.

    I think templeman's influence was a tremendous asset for the band...I also recently came across Montrose playing on some radio station prior to the release of thier first album (I don't even think the guy who introduces them knows sammy's name at that point) and it's not nearly as strong as what eventually came out on the first Montrose disk.
    Did you find that on the internet somewhere? Would be cool to hear some early Montrose, before their first official release.

  11. #11
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    38
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    14,259
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,316
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Call it a hunch but Ed probably held a grudge when Ted sided with Dave in the split. As we know Ed holds grudges like a motherfucker.

  12. #12
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    11.26.10
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,353
    Last Online

    11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Likes
    1,679
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

    Default

    This is the first I'd heard of a physical confrontation between Ed and Donn. I do know that both were kinda digging in their heels as far as which direction they wanted to go sonically speaking, and OU812 was a huge disappointment as far as sound. I kinda tend to think it was more a fault in the mastering process. I mean, if you check out the Guitar World issue where the interviewers visited right in the home stretch of recording, the bands reaction to how it sounded through the monitors was amazing. Mike said the "fur was risin'! " So what the hell happened? Sounded like a blanket was thrown on the whole production.
    That said,though recorded analog, it was also their first album that was actually engineered for digital production in conjunction with release on vinyl and tape.

    No excuse though...Many other productions were great sounding during this time, so maybe just the wrong guys doing the conversion from the analog tape to digital? I have no idea how much Landee was involved with this phase of production. Maybe he just lost his passion. He pretty much retired from engineering/production, right around that time, and started his consulting firm....Who knows for sure. Ed and Donn were pretty close, especially from 84' and 5150, and was hugely instrumental for the development of 5150, and the equipment acquired and used.
    Hate to think they had a falling out like with Mike. I've heard that Donn is one of the most genuine guys, who'd give his right nut to make things work.

    And here I was hoping I'd see them work together again some day.

  13. #13
    Sinner's Swing! johnnybeane's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.09
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    3,227
    Favorite VH Album

    Woman and children first
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    358
    Liked 598 Times in 389 Posts

    Default

    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

    With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

    NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

    My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

    "Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

  14. #14
    Eruption Dr5115's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.04.04
    Age
    44
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,295
    Favorite VH Album

    VH II
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 10:32 PM
    Likes
    172
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Call it a hunch but Ed probably held a grudge when Ted sided with Dave in the split. As we know Ed holds grudges like a motherfucker.
    we got a winner!

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk Raldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.00
    Location
    Cromwell, CT USA
    Posts
    17,179
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Likes
    1,820
    Liked 1,463 Times in 898 Posts

    Default

    Maybe VH wanted to try something different. Could be as simple as that but as we know with VH....sometimes things ain't so simple.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

    In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

    "High speed, low drag."

    "Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

    Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

    Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

    got tequila?

    http://keepitaliveforever.com

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Donn Landee
    By The Van Baron in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07.06.11, 04:13 PM
  2. Donn Landee
    By AllThaStuff in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 03.13.08, 11:29 AM
  3. Templeman and Landee
    By ScottyBHarris in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09.20.06, 03:29 PM
  4. Ted Templeman and Donn Landee
    By tease in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12.09.02, 05:07 PM
  5. Donn Landee
    By MAX in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07.05.02, 09:02 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •