Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Young cancer patient offers tearful goodbye in YouTube video

A Wisconsin man with terminal cancer has taped a YouTube video in which he bids farewell to loved ones and tells viewers through heart-wrenching sobs, "I tried so hard, fought so hard. But the fight is over."

"So, I don't know what to say, or if I'm leaving something out," says Eric McLean, 28, of Two Rivers, in the clip that has been watched nearly 320,000 times as of Thursday afternoon.

"I'm so scared. God, is it scary. So much I want to say. You know, I'm 28 years old. I'm going to miss everyone. My family, my brothers and sisters and parents, my wife, Cari. I love you so much, babe. I love you so much."

For much of the last half-decade, the bespectacled McLean has posted videos and written entries on the Internet detailing his struggle with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia. There are more than 100 in all.

When he started the video and Internet diaries he was a 23-year-old recent college grad who had just learned the cancer he had beaten as a teenager had returned.

On Tuesday, he posted on YouTube what he promised would be his last video, titled, "Eric's Confession Final."

In the nearly 8 1/2-minute clip, an emotional McLean says, "This is the end. We have gotten some really bad news last week and there is nothing we can do.

"Ninety six percent of my cerebral nervous system is cancerous and my sciatic nerve is being crushed so badly that I am in some of the worst pain you can imagine.

"It's really hard, as you can imagine ... So tough and I've fought a long time — almost 10 years now.

"This is it. This is it ... I've been assured once, twice, a million times, that there are no more options. I've started my hospice care at my parents' home in Two Rivers, Wisconsin."

He apparently taped the video on the patio deck of his parent's home. His face is front-lit against the night with a harsh luminescence. Cicadas chirp as he delivers the final entry to his story.

"It's been a long ride. My doctor, my oncologist ... actually came up here today to make sure that I was doing okay. Amazing. Um, ah, geeze."

He groans, wipes away a tear and says, "Oh that hurt," as he leans back and puts his hands behind his head.

"This is it. So ... thank you all for everything that you've done for me and my family. I've had the greatest support system that anyone in the world could ever ask for.

"My doctor said tonight that the average survival for someone with my type of cancer is 18 months. Not good. But I made it 10 years ... and I have you guys to thank for that."

In his posts, McLean proved to be more than just an able raconteur. Watching them, he reveals what about life he feels is important.

As he sobs, he says during the final video, "I told myself I wasn't going to get like this. I love you all. That's it. With that, You win some, you lose some, I don't know.

"My doctor says I won. I gotta believe him. There's nothing else I could have done. I fought to the end and there was never a time that I said 'no.'

"Anytime we wanted to do an experimental treatment, I stood up to the plate.

"I swung my bat as hard as I could. The ball game is over, guys. With that, I'm going to say, 'bye' for the very last time. I love you. Thank you all.

"And I hope you all live very long lives."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:31 PM
    Liked 2,381 Times in 1,486 Posts

Premium Member

You want to help but once it hits you all you have is faith.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 106 Times in 43 Posts

Puts all the Dave vs. Sammy shit into perspective, doesn't it?

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Puts all the Dave vs. Sammy shit into perspective, doesn't it?
    indeed....
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

28 years old and fighting cancer for 10 years.....not supposed to be that way

but nothing is really "fair" is it?.....fair...that's a place where you show pigs and buy fancy chickens isn't it? outside of that there is no "fair"

God bless him, and his family as they are about to embark on a journey of grief that no one can be prepared for, no matter how hard they have tried.

I hope they all find peace

survivor of the Bowling Green Massacre 9-3-2016 BGSU 10 OSU 77

She was warned. She was given an explanation. Nevertheless, she persisted.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Cancer sucks. We need to beat the bastard, one of these days, maybe
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:58 PM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

Default was gonna delete this one out of confusion and lack of a point, but...

I watched my Dad slowly die over the course of two years from prostate cancer and every fucked up procedure that was taken to try to rid him of it and prolong his life. He was a proud man and fought hard, but would have never made a tape like this to leave behind for his friends and family, let alone the entire world.

Sorry folks, but I guess I just don't understand why people do things like this these days and post it for all to see.
    I've got photos of my Dad from Christmas 1992, where he was down to about 110 lbs that are too painful to even look at now, and he didn't pass away until Sept '93.

I don't know... I just don't get it. If 320,000 other people hadn't been curious, we wouldn't be watching it at the links. Something just not proper about it all... maybe it's just me.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    I watched my Dad slowly die over the course of two years from prostate cancer and every fucked up procedure that was taken to try to rid him of it and prolong his life. He was a proud man and fought hard, but would have never made a tape like this to leave behind for his friends and family, let alone the entire world.

Sorry folks, but I guess I just don't understand why people do things like this these days and post it for all to see.
    I've got photos of my Dad from Christmas 1992, where he was down to about 110 lbs that are too painful to even look at now, and he didn't pass away until Sept '93.

I don't know... I just don't get it. If 320,000 other people hadn't been curious, we wouldn't be watching it at the links. Something just not proper about it all... maybe it's just me.
    Narcissism perhaps? We are living in a Facebook/Twitter, look at me, look at me society...

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Narcissism perhaps? We are living in a Facebook/Twitter, look at me, look at me society...
    I was afraid to say that because this seems like a touchy issue where someone might think I was unsympathetic because of that view.

Maybe it was never meant to go viral, but it did. It's just to personal to me.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

NO. It is not just you. I do the walk for cancer every year since 2004.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post

maybe it's just me.
    Nah, I think the newer generation feels the need to share damn near everything electronically...FaceBook, blogs, etc

I would never do anything like this either,but I am not 28 and had cancer for the last 10 years so on this one I personally would give a pass

Regardless, maybe one day soon all types of cancer will be things of the past and we can watch videos of the younger generation doing really stupid things on a daily basis.....

It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Yeah me too. I feel for the guy, I support the fight against cancer but I'm not gonna watch the vid and I'd never make one myself. To each his own I guess
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 966 Times in 387 Posts

so the kid posted some videos after battling cancer for 10 years and hes narcissistic?

wow
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Last Online

Premium Member

Well, the original post doesn't really offer up much besides Eric's final video, so before this thread takes off in the wrong direction, take the time to visit the L.I.F.E. foundation site created in Eric's honor to promote cancer awareness.

http://www.givetolife.org/

Just to be clear, the point I was trying to make earlier is that I find it very hard and painful whenever I come across any photos of my Dad in the last year of his life. It pissed him off when people would even take his picture because he didn't want to be seen like that. I can't even imagine watching an entire video of my Dad explaining the struggle he had been through and was losing. Simply just to heartbreaking and personal.

But these are just my feelings.

God bless Eric for being so brave and fighting so hard. God bless his family and friends.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

My brother was diagnosed with brain cancer 3 weeks ago. I use social media a lot, but I can't mention it on my Facebook out of respect for his privacy. He doesn't want it made public yet, so I pick and choose very carefully who I share with...only those who I am very close to, are part of my support team, and whose confidentiality I can trust.

I also know a young man that is battling the same type of leukemia. When you read his facebook page, you would think he is winning the battle, and had no setbacks. He only posts the positive stuff.

Everyone deals with it in their own way.