Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

11.24.17 @ 06:37 PM
    Liked 510 Times in 179 Posts

Default Salon Article On Band Reunions...

...And a rather snarky comment about Van Halen:

"Many of them have been embarrassing or pointless, (like) this year’s much-hyped Van Halen reunion, which sputtered when the band canceled more than 30 shows amid reports that they’d been 'arguing like mad.'”
    My response in the comments section below:

"...Except they're doing shows in Japan in November and just sat together three weeks ago for a long interview for a Japanese TV special, laughing and joking through the entire thing. Roth himself released a video statement after the show cancellations that they were getting along better than they ever have, and just wanted to catch their breath and continue to tour for the next two years, on and off.

Also, it's entirely your subjective view that the shows were 'embarrassing'-- the show I saw certainly wasn't-- and 'pointless'-- they released their first album with Roth since 1984 to almost uniformly good reviews.

Scott, if you're going venture such a snotty opinion, how about doing a quick Google search first to verify your information? 'Pointless and embarrassing' makes me think of your article, not Van Halen."
    "There will always be a Holyfield or a Tyson, but there's only one Mohammad Ali. There will always be a new body building champion, but there's only one Arnold. And there's only one David Lee. I'm the fun in Van Halen, always will be." - David Lee Roth

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...yarcwoiovu.jpg

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:57 PM
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

Since VH doesnt really talk, people speculate. 2012 Fans love to speculate that the band is getting along super well. Some media ppl speculate the opposite, since drama sells. None of it is based on fact. If I'm paid millions of dollars, I can smile on camera with a co-worker I don't really like. Or maybe it's genuine, who knows.

The weird thing is a lot of CVH fans used to go by the motto that "tension generates creativity" to explain the genius of the 6-pack. So shouldn't everyone be rooting for a bit of tension? Just sayin.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Today...VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

05.11.15 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with the OP's response to the article. I mean, he makes a lot of logical, level-headed points. But fighting the general ignorance and un-informedness of Joe Q. Public amidst the media frenzy is kind of an uphill battle.
    Van Halen will rock your face off!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Since VH doesnt really talk, people speculate. 2012 Fans love to speculate that the band is getting along super well. Some media ppl speculate the opposite, since drama sells. None of it is based on fact. If I'm paid millions of dollars, I can smile on camera with a co-worker I don't really like. Or maybe it's genuine, who knows.

The weird thing is a lot of CVH fans used to go by the motto that "tension generates creativity" to explain the genius of the 6-pack. So shouldn't everyone be rooting for a bit of tension? Just sayin.
    The assertion by Rolling Stone, and by this guy, is that they were "fighting like mad." There's absolutely no evidence of that. There is a ton of evidence that they've learned to get along in the form of numerous conversational video interviews and their behavior onstage, in addition to what the band is saying about one another publicly in separate interviews and statements. Does that mean that they sleep together in bunk beds and snore in unison? Or that they ride tandem bikes everywhere together? No, of course not. They've all said that their creative tension is intact and that they disagree all the time, but that they've accepted that that's how it should be, and have learned to work it out. Eddie said in Esquire that he and Dave kept their distance in '07/'08, but that on this record and tour, they're "much tighter."

You can call that speculation, but I disagree. It would be speculation if I were trying to fill in the blanks, or examine them for "genuineness." I'm not. I choose to believe the evidence that does exist in front of my eyes, in the now.

This band has ALWAYS worn their hearts on their sleeves. You could see the meltdown on MTV in '96; you could see the wheels coming off on the '04 tour. You could even see that Eddie was having trouble at the end of '07, and you could see that he had gotten it together in '08. On this tour, all I see is four guys who have apparently figured it out.
    Last edited by Hamnerhead; 08.16.12 at 04:46 PM.
    "There will always be a Holyfield or a Tyson, but there's only one Mohammad Ali. There will always be a new body building champion, but there's only one Arnold. And there's only one David Lee. I'm the fun in Van Halen, always will be." - David Lee Roth

Eruption
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 216 Times in 102 Posts

There hasn't been a Van Halen reunion tour yet.
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:20 PM
    Liked 67 Times in 35 Posts

Good points made by Hamnerhead.

In addition: if the 07/08 tour consisted of unseen animosity, would there have been a 2012 tour?

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
    EXACTLY.

In 2007, remember at the press conference, DLR specifically said to NOT think of this as a reunion, in 2012 it is the same band as 6 years ago, so unless they broke up and got back together between now and then, I don't know why so many peabrained jackass journalists contantly refer to VH as having a reunion.

It's a waste of breath even talking to most of these people, they only listen to their own voice.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 08.16.12 at 11:11 PM.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:44 AM
    Liked 1,468 Times in 899 Posts

Yeah Hamnerhead!!!

This tour is certainly not embarrassing or pointless.
    The put out an album and toured on it. Not sure what the author meant.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by big fatty View Post
    EXACTLY.
    In 2007, remember at the press conference, DLR specifically said to NOT think of this as a reunion, .
    ...but on the first tour they only played songs from 23 years ago.
    ...on the 2nd tour, 80% of the songs were from 28 years ago or longer.

I feel if they are a 'new' band, they should just go for it with new music live ala the Foot.

The new album was BADASS, why not play it? ...if you don't want to lose fans, then change your name and do greatest hits tours as VH, followed by new music tours with the new name.
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

A question, in all seriousness: Did you still consider it Van Halen when Sammy was in the band?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by NDL View Post
    In addition: if the 07/08 tour consisted of unseen animosity, would there have been a 2012 tour?
    That's a nice observation.

Look, one thing we do know from looking at the history of this band is that Eddie will not work with people he doesn't want to solely to please the fans. It's why Roth was out in the first place, it's why Sammy was and is out, and it's why Michael Anthony's out. Roth's been back in the band now for six years, and we've gotten two tours and an album. I think it's pretty safe to say that they've managed to come to terms with one another.

Favorite VH Album

Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

07.25.17 @ 10:53 PM
    Liked 314 Times in 157 Posts

Agree there. Definitely not in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by big fatty View Post
    I don't know why so many peabrained jackass journalists contantly refer to VH as having a reunion.
    They love to throw that word around as it makes for a better story. It sells magazines and draws their site more hits.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by F'nRockstar View Post
    ...but on the first tour they only played songs from 23 years ago.
    ...on the 2nd tour, 80% of the songs were from 28 years ago or longer.

I feel if they are a 'new' band, they should just go for it with new music live ala the Foot.

The new album was BADASS, why not play it? ...if you don't want to lose fans, then change your name and do greatest hits tours as VH, followed by new music tours with the new name.
    IMO, I think WVH and IA had a lot of input here. WVH wanted to play the old, old stuff.

IA saw $$$$ and I am sure just "worked" with the band on this too.

VH is not a charity and if anyone thinks the VH family and DLR aren't thinking of sales and $$, I suggest you lay down your glass pipe and head to the nearest Betty Ford
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Eruption
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 216 Times in 102 Posts

Yes, I considered it Van Halen when Sammy was in the band. When Eddie and Alex leave the band, then I'll start calling it something else. Besides Van Halen has ALWAYS been 75% original band members. This isn't a Guns N' Roses situation.

But in all seriousness...Who gives a fuck?!
    Leave everything to me!-Powdered Toast Man

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

Yes, I considered it Van Halen when Sammy was in the band. When Eddie and Alex leave the band, then I'll start calling it something else. Besides Van Halen has ALWAYS been 75% original band members. This isn't a Guns N' Roses situation.

But in all seriousness...Who gives a fuck?!
    Well, that was my point, really. The inference I got from your original statement that it wasn't a "reunion" was that it wasn't Van Halen without Anthony-- supposition on my part and I apologize. I've just never understood the argument that I thought you were making, which was "no MA=no VH." 'Cause if it isn't Van Halen without Anthony, it certainly wasn't Van Halen without Roth. Even though I'm not a fan of the Hagar era, I consider it all to be legitimate.

In any case, I get that you were saying that it needs to be all four for you to consider it a reunion. For me, personally, the important reunion-- if not on stage this time around, then certainly on record-- is between Eddie and Roth, the team responsible for actually writing the classic songs.