Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:39 AM
    Liked 1,885 Times in 1,102 Posts

Default If 2012 ended tomorrow how would you rate VH's year?

For all intents and purposes the year 2012 is pretty much over for VH except for the shows in Japan later on....maybe they'll put out a DVD maybe not BUT if today was December 31st 2012 and you had to talk about the year VH had how would you describe it? Was it an overwhelmign success, "eh", or a flop?

No bashing just a civilized discussion when it comes to how the band has done this year in your opinion.

this is a "VAN HALEN" thread so don't bash Hagar or Mike or CF cause it will just cause in fighting and honestly we don't need that.

just curious what you guys think.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

The year that many thought would never happen. They stepped up and put out videos and interviews. They did one of the coolest things in the bands history with the Cafe Wha show. People on the boards were given some well deserved access. All this AND a strong ADKOT album. Three out of 4 band members brought an A + game every show. Dave was a master showman like no other but I guess his vocal struggles were the only negative for this year. All in all, 2012 was a great year.
    And yes Mike is still a class act.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.25.15 @ 10:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Given what the last decade has been like in VH Land, 2012 has to be considered an A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

01.29.13 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    For all intents and purposes the year 2012 is pretty much over for VH except for the shows in Japan later on....maybe they'll put out a DVD maybe not BUT if today was December 31st 2012 and you had to talk about the year VH had how would you describe it? Was it an overwhelmign success, "eh", or a flop?

No bashing just a civilized discussion when it comes to how the band has done this year in your opinion.

this is a "VAN HALEN" thread so don't bash Hagar or Mike or CF cause it will just cause in fighting and honestly we don't need that.

just curious what you guys think.
    I would say, comparing to VH post-1998, it was an overwhelming success: a solid new album, a decent tour, some on-line bonus video interviews, etc.

Compared to VH pre-1998, it could be rated as a "meh".

Compared to what other bands of VH's "peer group" do, I'd also rate it as a "meh".
    So, I've seen these guys live:
    June 25, 1993 - Eddie/Alex/Mike/Sammy @ Pine Knob Music Theatre - Clarkston, MI
    Sept 03, 1998 - Eddie/Alex/Mike/Gary @ Pine Knob Music Theatre - Clarkston, MI
    July 11, 2004 - Eddie/Alex/Mike/Sammy @ The Palace of Auburn Hills - Auburn Hills, MI
    Oct 22, 2007 - Eddie/Alex/Wolfgang/Dave @ The Palace of Auburn Hills - Auburn Hills, MI
    Feb 20, 2012 - Eddie/Alex/Wolfgang/Dave @ The Palace of Auburn Hills - Auburn Hills, MI

Lurker since 2002

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

tora!tora!
    Last Online

07.07.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

They had an active productive year...something they aren't known for in this decade.

They are still, to me, the only holdover from the 70's that can put out a good new record. I know some of you would say AC/DC/Aerosmith/KISS ect can...but my ears say no...not really.

ADKOT is seriously good...granted the mixing and mastering was botched but still..to put out a relevant new release 38 years into your career is quite a feat.

Think the Stone could do that?

Nope

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by tango fistula View Post
    They had an active productive year...something they aren't known for in this decade.

They are still, to me, the only holdover from the 70's that can put out a good new record. I know some of you would say AC/DC/Aerosmith/KISS ect can...but my ears say no...not really.

ADKOT is seriously good...granted the mixing and mastering was botched but still..to put out a relevant new release 38 years into your career is quite a feat.

Think the Stone could do that?

Nope
    The Cars did it with Move Like This, but I'd bet they don't count.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

The Album: I'm not a big fan of ADKOT personally, but that's by-the-by. When put into the context of VH's (non) output over the last 14 years, the fact that they actually PUT OUT AN ALBUM is fantastic - so, irrespective of whether it was to everyone's taste or not, that gives them a 10 out of 10.

The Tour: As has been said, 3 out of the 4 members performed superbly, one not so well...Put that alongside of the fact that the tour was cut short; the dangling carrot of Australian gigs has been unceremoniously snatched away (although, admittedly, the Japanese dates remain) and the fact that a European appearance is still conspicuous by its absence rounds out their attainment on this front to approximately 4 out of 10.

Public Relations: A vast improvement on what has (not) taken place over the last 14 years. The band have allowed themselves to be filmed out of context; they've given numerous interviews (although the questions asked were, for the most part, generic and dull - probably at the behest of the band members themselves); they've up-dated the website and they made contact with VH web-masters - all of which is FAB. On the downside, they still fail to communicate a lot of pretty important information as to their decision-making process, ie, the reasons for cancelled tour-dates. And they are consistently vague as to their future plans. I'd say that this amounts to a 7 out of 10.

So, with all the limited powers of my remedial-class level Maths, I make the total result for VH's 2012 a princely 7 out of 10!!!

(And when you consider that the previous 14 years was a resounding ZERO out of ten, that's a rather marvellous achievement - whilst still giving them plenty of scope for improvement!)
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

The Cars disc is awesome, really surprised it didn't get more pub than it got.

I know it is heresy to say around here, but I think overall it is a better disc than ADKOT. And I love ADKOT, but Move Like This is just spectacular if you like The Cars.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

I'm going to go with "meh." Started like a house of fire and all momentum just kinda...stopped. ADKOT is good, not great to my ears; I've heard several albums this year that are better overall.

And I can't watch live clips because of how Dave sounds. I'm sorry, I can't get over it.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 6,706 Times in 3,725 Posts

They released a great album and the show I saw was really good. Best vh year in a long, long time.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

tora!tora!
    Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    The Cars did it with Move Like This, but I'd bet they don't count.
    Forgot about the Cars...my bad.

I kinda liked the new one...but I miss Ben Orr's voice...that can't be helped but still...my ears kept waiting for him to kick in.

I always dug him as a great power pop singer...and alot of my fave Cars
    toons have him front and center.

I keep hoping Cheap Trick would put out a killer like the first 5...but so far just "ok" ones

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

tora!tora!
    Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I've yet to hear the new Devo one (if youre gonna throw in the Cars)...I've been told its good.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

AMAZING !
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

2012 was a really great year for VH.

Think about where they came from: Eddie had one foot in the grave and his playing even in 2007-08 was a shadow of what he once was. Bitter comments towards fans. We learn later that Ed battled another round of cancer and was pretty doped up. But, things in VH land were dire.

The album comes out and.....wham! It kills. ADKOT still rocks to me. I always go in waves with my new tunes, but ADKOT still accompanies me on many workouts. Tattoo has even grown on me after being "meh" for a while.

I loved the show and the set-list in Oakland this year. Eddie really sounded great and I can't believe I got to hear Full Bug, HAIL and WIL in the same show. Man, the set lists this tour rocked. If I went to San Jose, I would have gone to the one show where they played Bottoms Up! FML!

The only demerit: the show cancelations and how they were handled. I wasn't personally affected, but I feel bad for a lot of other folks that didn't get to see them. I still don't buy the current explanation.

Anyway, they've come a long way. 2012 was a great step towards VH getting their groove back.

PS the new Cars disc is money. Those guys can still bring it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

08.24.15 @ 08:58 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZachenFoot View Post
    I'm going to go with "meh." Started like a house of fire and all momentum just kinda...stopped. ADKOT is good, not great to my ears; I've heard several albums this year that are better overall.

And I can't watch live clips because of how Dave sounds. I'm sorry, I can't get over it.
    You seem to prefer the Sammy era of Van Halen, so your feeling is understandable in that context... A few years ago, if you bet me that I'd feel beyond a "meh" for a new Van Halen album with David Lee Roth, I'd have taken the under on "meh." "Top of the World" was my first-ever favorite rock song; "5150" and "F.U.C.K." were my two favorite albums... I never related to DLR.

"A Different Kind of Truth" changed my entire opinion of Van Halen, especially David Lee Roth -- it made it MUCH MORE positive... "Much more positive" to the point where now I'm coming to VH forums everyday -- to talk about this incredible band I listen to, this incredible album I can't BELIEVE came out -- never mind that, IMO, there are 6 5/5 stars songs on that new album!! (And none of what I guess could be called "filler" is bad, or uninteresting... From guys who have over 35 years on me.)

2012 is the year that Van Halen -- the band that I loved most as a kid -- made the greatest (artistically legitimate) comeback in rock history -- after nearly a decade and a half of nonsense... The only comeback I can think of that rivals VH's is Steely Dan's in 2000.

Additionally, in 2012, I watched Van Halen finally receive recognition and praise from people in our generation (20s) and younger... Maybe it's "retromania," as DLR said when talking about "YAYB."

Kids around my age -- last year, they would've known Led Zeppelin, and likely would've said "they're awesome." They would've known Aerosmith and likely would've said, "they're corny." They might not have even known Van Halen -- and if they did, VH certainly had a P.R. problem... They're not an iconic band that ppl our age embraced -- until this year. Now, I can't believe who I hear talking about Van Halen -- who wants to go to the show... I saw so many ppl my age at the VH concerts I went to -- and that's new... I've been going since the "Ambulance" tour when I was 10 .

Also in '12: WHAT A SHOW!!! It was my luck, IMO, to get to see 3 of VH's top 10 shows on the "ADKOT" tour -- the three in New England... When DLR's voice was at its early '12 peak. Among those three shows is my favorite concert of all-time: 3/13 in Manchester, NH... Also, on that day, my friends and I got to hear soundcheck pretty much all by ourselves... It was a VH fan's dream.

That's mostly personal stuff though. Bigger picture: what's been most amazing to me is that -- during the first six months of 2012 -- Van Halen flipped a script that had consigned them to irrelevance and being has-beens/relics... They reversed a lot of negativity felt toward the band, (except that from the people who really side with Sammy, or Mike.)

If VH's mission in '12 was to reclaim "Van Halen" -- and all the greatness it stood for. Mission: Accomplished.

Grade..? A -- or 95/100; (the same percentage of seats the band sold out of those available... Despite truly ridiculous ticket prices for fans in a "Great Recession.")
    Last edited by VanJuJu; 08.16.12 at 09:33 AM.
    Springfield, MASS. - Hartford, CONN. =VH= Fans UNITE!