Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 11:53 AM
    Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Default For those of us old guys who never got out of the bedroom

I'm dead serious here lol. But I'm the descendant of dutch immigants. I was a classically trained violonist as a kid and learned by ear. I always wanted to play the guitar. Bought one when i was early 20's about 15 years ago. Learned some basic chords but just made things up myself. The internet didn't exist back then. I have all these tapes of riffs id come up with. I never disciplined myself or took lessons though. Never even really got in with the right people. I had friends who played in bands but I really never got out of the bedroom with my guitar. I attack the guitar. I never really learned how to play it. I think all of us would love to be eddie van halen and just jump on a guitar and have all this incredible music but I put it away. Had to go to work make a normal life for myself. I've since spent the last couple years learning a bunch of songs and the last month or so i've actually started taking lessons trying to learn and discipline myself. It's like where is my motivation though? I'm not going to be a rockstar at this point in my life. It's more just for my own enjoyment.

But any recommendations for really improving my playing? I really think you have to get out and play and see how other people things pick things up. It's pretty limiting just relying on one teacher and youtube. Should i range out and learn other types of music? Maybe some different chords and scales? I don't know. Eddie's playing was just him and his own style. I think a lot of musicians try to play certain kinds of music and become adept at certain styles. But true creativity is lacking. I'm late 30's though. My finger speed isn't getting any faster. I've started trying to learn basic blues progressions and maybe will get my instructer to teach me some jazz. I've been doing exercises tryng to improve my speed and coordination etc. But not sure what is the best way.

I think at my core I have some talent. I come up with really cool original sounding licks. I have a good feel for the guitar I think. I've added to them and they've progressed as well. But I'm still a ways away from being an actual musician. I've taken the slow disjointed route or something. By the time I'm 50 i might actually step out and play in a band if I still can?
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 08.12.12 at 10:37 AM.

Last Online

05.23.17 @ 11:53 AM
    Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

I think Eddie Van Halen is a bad rolemodel in ways because not everyone is that gifted. It's like michael jordan where everyone wanted to be like mike but they don't have his talent. I've more tried to focus on doing my own thing though. Lately I've gone back and tried to play through things slow and play them perfectly which has helped my playing I think. Do i just need to keep working at it? I like the fact I have my own sound. I go into guitar stores and I hear musicians and they all sound similar to me. Where I don't sound like anyone and I like that. I have a friend of mine who went to berkley and he's a much better musician than me. Really schooled. But there's something to be said for oldschool blues players who just learned through hard work and determnation and playing out of the soul?

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JudgementDay View Post
    I was a classically trained violonist as a kid and learned by ear.

But any recommendations for really improving my playing?
    nope...you blew me out of the water when you were a kid. Guitar is way easier...and chicks dig it so plan on staying in your bedroom as you improve.

My finger speed isn't getting any faster. I've started trying to learn basic blues progressions and maybe will get my instructer to teach me some jazz. I've been doing exercises tryng to improve my speed and coordination etc. But not sure what is the best way
    Depends on your fingers...I have long fingers and big hands...I should have been 6'4"...but I have thick fingers as well. I can play fast but I am sloppy...not hitting another string is almost impossible for me so I have creative little ways of muting and picking.

Fluidity is the only thing that will really improve speed at an older age...and that is all repetition.

I don't worry much about being better than anyone technically...

My favorite guitar player as a kid was Ace Frehley and technically he sucks...the guys they brought in after him were better players but Ace sounded better..."right"....yes I know this sounds like a terrible example.

Be you...I can't play nearly as well as many guys but nobody, not even Ed, can play my stuff as well as me.

Covers are another story though...and in that case the mere fact that you can play an instrument instead of spinning records makes you cooler to chicks...and staying in the bedroom is every man's goal in life...right?

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:34 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    Covers are another story though...and in that case the mere fact that you can play an instrument instead of spinning records makes you cooler to chicks...and staying in the bedroom is every man's goal in life...right?
    I couldn't play guitar to save my life . So I started spinning records. Ended uo working in a club for 10 years and young weddings and stuff like that. I always got laid !
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

My luck...if I go to dj forum ill manage to insult a guitarist.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:34 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    My luck...if I go to dj forum ill manage to insult a guitarist.
    Not insulted at all.
    Just the facts tests all.
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Favorite VH Album

The one with the :
    Favorite VH Song

high fast stuff.
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I'll send magic to those of you that don't get to play out.
    It is a great experience. We can't cant all be Ed, but we can get in the ballpark.
    Keep trying if you can. Do the open jams, open mics, basement bands, whatever it takes, whatever age... It's the greatest thing in the world.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Steven B View Post
    It is a great experience. We can't cant all be Ed, but we can get in the ballpark.
    Keep trying if you can. Do the open jams, open mics, basement bands, whatever it takes, whatever age... It's the greatest thing in the world.
    I totally agree. Get along to some open mic, plug n play type events.
    Try to jam with as many people as you can and don't worry about having your ass handed to you. I've been playing for 30+ years now and recently was shown a thing or two by a kid half my age, which goes to show that we're all still learning no matter how long we've been playing.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.24.13 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wonder what happend to the violin?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:12 AM
    Liked 4,811 Times in 2,456 Posts

Premium Member

I was a trained trumpet player who gave it totally up for guitar once I hit around 20 so I can relate a little to you. You may still understand a bit of music theory and that will help. My only recommendation to you is when you start to learn whatever your favorite music is, learn something from a genre you might not like. It will enhance your playing learning variations of chords or possible picking techniques like chickin' picking.

Also practice what you don't know or are very weak at instead of playing what you know.

Good luck and don't worry about playing with people. Most people who are older won't put you down but will want to help or show you things.

On Fire
    Last Online

10.04.16 @ 10:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think Eddie Van Halen is a bad rolemodel in ways because not everyone is that gifted. It's like michael jordan where everyone wanted to be like mike but they don't have his talent. I've more tried to focus on doing my own thing though. Lately I've gone back and tried to play through things slow and play them perfectly which has helped my playing I think. Do i just need to keep working at it? I like the fact I have my own sound. I go into guitar stores and I hear musicians and they all sound similar to me. Where I don't sound like anyone and I like that. I have a friend of mine who went to berkley and he's a much better musician than me. Really schooled. But there's something to be said for oldschool blues players who just learned through hard work and determnation and playing out of the soul?
    AMEN to this post! Very few if ANY will ever achieve the amount of things he has, from the style to the influence he has had on gear and everything in general makes him very "seperate" from other guitarists, while ed is a amazing musician he also had a incredible amount of luck by stumbling onto things that have never been brought forward to the degree they did before. like tapping he did not invent it but he sure as shit made it popular,same goes for the one hum strats, the rodded marshalls,the list goes on and on. a real freak of nature i say!
    as far as how to be the best you can be on the guitar? play it for the sheer fun of it and dont be overly analytical about playing Ed always gave this advice and i have stuck to it for 25 years now. The best things players do on the guitar are not even planned out,they just happen!
    Last edited by Charvelstrat_81; 08.18.12 at 12:33 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,802 Times in 1,451 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven B View Post
    Agreed. I play every weekend in clubs and it's the greatest job in the world. Even if the bar is dead I manage to have a great time...playing music...for money? Are you kidding me?

I'm not sure there is one "correct" way to learn. There are great guitarists who have had teachers...and great guitarists who just sat in their bedrooms playing until they figured it out. The one interesting thing is that the more you learn...the easier it becomes to learn more. It's like a big snowball.