Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

My Props to Dave Roth

Van Halen! Now there's an Enigma, but there they are after all the Spinal Tap like horse bleep, Better than ever.

Clearly, many adjustments have been made
    Personally, Professionally Etc. Whatever it was & is, the boys pulled it off.
    Alex, Ed & Wolf were all stellar on this album and tour.
    Dave gets extra props from me as he has exceeded my expectations as a performer and more importantly as a person.

Anyone who follows this band on this site, knows Van Halen Land is a challenging place to survive, yet Dave has managed to pull it off for 2 more tours & an album with Ed & Al
    ( non of us expected ADKOT to be that good).
    The word persistant comes to mind. The dude ( Dave) never gave up faith in vh reconvening and doing something great. No matter how much he would run his mouth & talk shit about Eddie Van Heineken, He ( dave ) would always keep a torch burning for Van Halen. He truly loves the band and his history with Ed & Al.

Dave had some horrendous solo albums and tours. I myself was starting think Dave was totally shot.... toast.

Well..... He proved me wrong, BigTIME !! Thanks Dave.
    I'm guessing he has cleaned up his act , much like Ed and it shows.
    The show I saw in Manchester NH was the VH I had been waiting to see.
    They really pulled it off, even in their late 50's

No his (DLR) voice is not what is was in 1984
    No his jumps aren't throught the roof anymore
    But this guy pulled off, what I would guess, most rock fans highly doubted
    He rejoined VH & helped pull them back to the top of the charts and tour gross' $$

It's no secret that Ed controls vh and it's also pretty well known that Dave is under that microscope... bigtime. Dave is under immense pressure to pony up the goods every night and keep the brothers at bay too. I think he has exceeded the expectations of even the VH brothers. We all remember the mtv disaster of 1996 and Al stating that Dave could not make it through a tour
    To this day, I still get the feeling from the recent interviews, that Ed & Al only KINDA like Dave.
    Surely, Dave knows his leash is super short, but the dude shows up and gives it everything he has in true DLR fashion. To me, that takes guts and determination.

Hats off to you Dave, you kept the torch burning for Classic VH, even when the brothers continued to use your name as a punch line.

Bottom line, the dude has soul.... he wants it to be great again. I admire that !!

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:33 AM
    Liked 6,841 Times in 3,580 Posts

Premium Member

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Dave still gets a lot of grief from a lot of folks here on this site...they don't seem to get what he is about as he approaches 60. He seems to have matured and aged quite well, a fascinating guy for sure with an interesting outlook on life.

Props to Dave Roth! Can't wait to hear what these guys come up with next.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

08.24.15 @ 08:58 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cav View Post
    The show I saw in Manchester NH was the VH I had been waiting to see.
    They really pulled it off, even in their late 50's
    "A Different Kind of Truth" + the three shows I saw in New England on the "ADKoT" tour helped me to finally understand what all the fuss was about... Manchester '12 was, IMO, the best Van Halen show that I've seen live, ('95 in Worcester was my first -- I didn't see the "III" or '07 tours.)

I've been to many concerts, and I've never seen someone able to orchestrate an audience like Roth.

In Manchester, do you remember when DLR did the splits three times in a row..? LMAO! After each split, the crowd cheered louder and louder -- and DLR fed off of the energy... It was bedlam by the end of the show.

After Manchester, it seems like DLR developed a medical problem with his voice. I hope he's healing up this summer, and not training too hard with that monk/ninja
    Springfield, MASS. - Hartford, CONN. =VH= Fans UNITE!

Favorite VH Album

All w/ DLR
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

04.15.15 @ 04:40 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

David Lee Roth is the absolute fucking man. His voice with Eddie and Alex's sound/tone/chops just epitomizes the notion that says "the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts." Van Halen with DLR is magic. I agree with your entire post Cav (and the subsequent ones in support of Dave afterwards in this thread). For me, I love ADKOT as much as the first 6. It fits right in. These guys create something truly awesome together that they cannot do without eachother. Not in the same way. Eddie plays his best with Dave and Dave is a different guy when he's in the band. He clearly got too big for himself and the 90's humbled him back to a seemingly clearer reality. (My advice to his manager/people would honestly be: Keep the scruff-Dave looks good with short hair and the facial scruff, lose the glitter shirts, and come out with a t-shirt and jeans and just sing without going apeshit on the calisthenics. Some of it is great, but when high notes sound off key because of the moon walk, it's time to get back to concentrating on the sound you're producing.) All in all, I still think Roth IS the voice of Van Halen and is where he belongs.
    "The only reason someone tells you that you can't do something is because it makes it easier for them to accept their own failures"-Paul Stanley

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Dave's cool.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:30 AM
    Liked 147 Times in 87 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by madmikey View Post
    David Lee Roth is the absolute fucking man. His voice with Eddie and Alex's sound/tone/chops just epitomizes the notion that says "the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts." Van Halen with DLR is magic. I agree with your entire post Cav (and the subsequent ones in support of Dave afterwards in this thread). For me, I love ADKOT as much as the first 6. It fits right in. These guys create something truly awesome together that they cannot do without eachother. Not in the same way. Eddie plays his best with Dave and Dave is a different guy when he's in the band. He clearly got too big for himself and the 90's humbled him back to a seemingly clearer reality. (My advice to his manager/people would honestly be: Keep the scruff-Dave looks good with short hair and the facial scruff, lose the glitter shirts, and come out with a t-shirt and jeans and just sing without going apeshit on the calisthenics. Some of it is great, but when high notes sound off key because of the moon walk, it's time to get back to concentrating on the sound you're producing.) All in all, I still think Roth IS the voice of Van Halen and is where he belongs.
    I agree especially about the high notes. Dave needs to stay away from them. He sounds like he is straining his voice when attempting them.

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanJuJu View Post
    "A Different Kind of Truth" + the three shows I saw in New England on the "ADKoT" tour helped me to finally understand what all the fuss was about... Manchester '12 was, IMO, the best Van Halen show that I've seen live, ('95 in Worcester was my first -- I didn't see the "III" or '07 tours.)

I've been to many concerts, and I've never seen someone able to orchestrate an audience like Roth.

In Manchester, do you remember when DLR did the splits three times in a row..? LMAO! After each split, the crowd cheered louder and louder -- and DLR fed off of the energy... It was bedlam by the end of the show.

After Manchester, it seems like DLR developed a medical problem with his voice. I hope he's healing up this summer, and not training too hard with that monk/ninja
    Hey, Yeah, the splits are not DLR's specialty anymore
    I wonder if Dave sustained some injuries through the yrs or if it's just age, but he clearly has limited range of motion now vs. 1980's..
    His voice sounded a bit horse on the Pittsburg show that is now circulating around.
    Probably just wear & tear from the tour...... And what a tour is was

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:59 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Cool pic '47.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

08.20.13 @ 02:53 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AJW View Post
    I agree especially about the high notes. Dave needs to stay away from them. He sounds like he is straining his voice when attempting them.
    I agree. I'm a VH with Dave fan first and foremost, but he shouldn't try so hard to go high.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Jamies\' Cryin
    Last Online

12.15.13 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Age and Smokes have been hard on the Voice...I think the Air Conditioning had a HUGE impact on his voice at times this tour. I think that is one of the reasons they postphoned the rest of the Summer dates...I look for a January thru May tour in 2013
    FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS 3 !!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning and ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

09.07.15 @ 02:12 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Dave might have had a not very good tour vocal wise but his stage presence was back and dave was dave again along with Eddie playing unbelievably well made the shows i attended very special
    Janie Liszewski did the IMPOSSIBLE she helped Eddie Van Halen get better. Deal with it.

The day is dunzo lets have some funzo- DLR AS IS

Somedays you're the dog Somedays you're the hydrant- DLR Bullethead

It's not who you squeeze but who returns to squeeze you, no doubt, love em all I says let cupid sort em out!

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 237 Times in 80 Posts

Despite Dave's vocal issues, he really is a fascinating individual who is both challenging and entertaining.

Best part about Dave, he doesn't give a fuck what people think about him. He's gonna do what he does regardless. That includes Al and Ed.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Dave is pilot!

"CLEAR!!!!!!!!!"

HH<------Number 47 is a inspiration for me! I get it-----------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

08.24.15 @ 08:58 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cav View Post
    I wonder if Dave sustained some injuries through the yrs or if it's just age, but he clearly has limited range of motion now vs. 1980's..
    His voice sounded a bit horse on the Pittsburg show that is now circulating around.
    Probably just wear & tear from the tour......
    I recall reading that David Lee Roth got injured during -- I believe it was the "A Little Ain't Enough" tour..? (Does someone know the story?)

Roth injured himself several times before and since then, e.g. with a sword in the early '00s, which forced him to cancel the remainder of his tour -- but I believe that the early '90s injury is why we don't see him doing the flying splits frequently after that.

Vocals -- in this particular case, I don't believe that it's a case of 'age and attrition,' b/c DLR sounded as good as ever live in '07-'08...

IMO, a medical problem seems to be a more plausible explanation for the increasing hoarseness throughout the tour, the insistence about the blowers, the cancellation of the summer dates, etc. I'd agree with an 'age and attrition' explanation if DLR sounded similarly on the '07-'08 tour -- but he sounded near peak on that.

On this tour, IMO, DLR's voice seemed to be at its best during VH's NY/NE shows in early March (IMO, anyway.) By the time VH played Pittsburgh, IMO, he seemed to be trying his hardest just not to lose his voice, so as to have to cancel shows... I'd bet that a medical problem with Roth's voice is why VH cancelled this summer's dates.
    Last edited by VanJuJu; 08.12.12 at 06:03 PM.
    Springfield, MASS. - Hartford, CONN. =VH= Fans UNITE!