Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 11:53 AM
    Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Default Seymour Duncan 59 humbucker.

I have a california fat strat, red of course i bought 15 years ago. The humbucker i was messing with and broke it so I decided to replace it with this. Chasing that brown sound. I think this is the original humbucker Eddie used quite a bit. Thing is the original pickups that were in my guitar were really good and bright sounding. This humbucker definately gives my guitar more definition though. It just sounds better. The harmonics really ring out. but it's somewhat muddy compared to the stock pickups that were in my guitar? Has anyone else had this same experience with this pickup?

I'm actually just trying to create my own sound. I play through a mesa boogie subway rocket for my own personal enjoyment. I really loved this guitar with the amp i bought. It's lasted me this long with no need to change really. Not sure how i feel about this pickup. It definately sounds better but its muddy sounding.

I use eddie's original mxr flanger and phase 90 sometimes and thats it with it.

The original pickups were texas specials and it had a stock fender humbucker at the bridge I think. I'm not sure the model. This pickup sounds smoother for sure. But just muddy.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 08.10.12 at 04:56 PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Raise/lower the height of pick-up height in the pickguard and raise the height of the screws in the bobbins. You'd be surprised at how a few millimeters can change change the sound!
    Last edited by jimi11580; 08.10.12 at 07:37 PM.
    WGAF?!!

Last Online

05.23.17 @ 11:53 AM
    Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Thanks I'll give that a try. The original humbucker was a fender dh-1 I believe. I broke it eventually doing what you are saying trying to smooth out the sound. It was just really raw sounding. It was a good pickup but had that fender sound to it. The more I've played around with this one the more I like it. It really sings. Just can't get that raw clean sound so much which surprises me somewhat. It definately has Eddie's tone though even through a boogie I can hear the difference. Definately recommend this pickup for anyone who has never tried it. I wish I could find that in between is all. Better tone without losing that rawness that fender has. I hope you know what I mean.
    Last edited by JudgementDay; 08.12.12 at 02:01 AM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

I've had quite the opposite experience with the pickup being muddy, so yeah...The height could have something to do with it. I actually found the pickup to be one of Duncan's brighter, vintage voiced pickups. They are great for vintage sounding replacements. Used them in modern Paul's, SG's. (Simply because Gibson's current bridge pickups are friggin' earsplitting bright. The 59's knock a bit of that super high edge down a peg, and they really sound great. For any Gibby nuts out there...(Are there still any?) My favorite Gibson guitar combo, is the SD 59 in the bridge, and a Gibson Classic 57 in the neck. It's a great combination.