Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Rhode Island Prison Inmate gets Liver Transplant

Video Report:
    http://www.abc6.com/story/19220004/r...Vsr_mX8.google

Wayne Gonsalves has been on the organ transplant waiting list for 3 years. The Providence man was diagnosed in 2008 with liver disease and has been hoping for a new one ever since.

It's the same organ Jose Pacheco, an inmate at the Adult Correctional Institutions in Cranston, received in a transplant this week.

The U.S. Supreme Court says denying medical care to prisoners who need it, is considered cruel and unusual punishment.

"Naturally the first instinct is some jealousy and some envy," said Gonsalves.

Pacheco is the first Rhode Island prisoner to undergo an organ transplant. He is serving a 6 1/2 year sentence for robbery.

Gonsalves says he could be angry, but instead feels compassion for the 27-year-old inmate.

"I wish I could take that liver for myself, but I cant because it wasn't deemed necessary for me," said Gonsalves.

Valerie Filkins has been at her son's side since his diagnosis. She has watched as Wayne went from a hard working man to someone who could barely stand with out the help of cane.

"I wish it was my son...of course," said Filkins.

A spokesperson for the Rhode Island Department of Corrections says the exact cost of the procedure is unknown. Liver transplant operations can cost more than $1 million. The bill will likely be paid for by Medicaid and you, the tax payer.

Despite any monetary cost Filkins says what people need to think about is the value of life.

"He probably has a family," said Filkins. "I do feel that if he can get a liver and help him have a better life, oh yes. Definitely."
    Last edited by voivod; 08.08.12 at 10:01 AM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 18,132 Times in 8,956 Posts

Just my opinion, but just because the guy is in prison doesn't mean he shouldn't get a liver transplant.

If they put them at the bottom of the pecking order, it would be the same as saying they can't get one.

It isn't perfect, but I think it is how it has to be.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Who determines who gets what transplant based on any reason other than "considered cruel and unusual punishment"...

How long has the guy serving a 6+ year sentence been waiting versus the guy whose been waiting for 3 years??

Did he jump ahead of the line from the normal guy solely because of prisoner rights afforded to him because he could not be a law abiding citizen??

Pacheco was sentenced in June 2011 after pleading no contest to second-degree robbery, possession of stolen car parts and conspiracy. Since 2006, he has also been sentenced multiple times on assorted drug-possession charges, including possession of and intent to deliver cocaine.
    If so, that sucks to me...

Maybe there were compatibility issues the news article is leaving out just for the sake of sensationalizing...
    Last edited by voivod; 08.08.12 at 11:33 AM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton