Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 144
  1. #1
    Hot For Teacher M.C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    01.08.06
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    277
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    07.17.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 77 Times in 30 Posts

    Default Pantera (maybe) covered Van Halen

    I remember interviewing Vinnie Paul years and years ago and brought up what I knew as FACT that they recorded something off Van Halen II.

    Frontman Phil Anselmo seems to confirm it here:

    "...but there still may be some covers floating around, including a long-rumored Van Halen track. "We used to fuck with all kinds of songs. Obviously we did that ridiculous version of 'Cat Scratch Fever' for some movie soundtrack [Detroit Rock City], that dickface Ted Nugent. Shit dude, we would kick into Kansas and all kinds of shit. What you said does ring a bell; I think it was something like 'Outta Love Again,' I wonder where that shit is..."


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    Eruption zoident's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.28.12
    Location
    CHICAGO
    Posts
    784
    Favorite VH Album

    adkot/wacf
    Favorite VH Song

    in a simple rhyme/as is
    Last Online

    01.15.16 @ 10:42 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    they will always be a hair metal band, they only went heavy for $.and their fans are some of the most stupid whitetrash fools you'll ever meet!

  3. #3
    Hot For Teacher M.C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    01.08.06
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    277
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    07.17.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 77 Times in 30 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoident View Post
    they will always be a hair metal band, they only went heavy for $.and their fans are some of the most stupid whitetrash fools you'll ever meet!
    Yeah - that comment makes complete sense. Clown.

  4. #4
    Eruption zoident's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.28.12
    Location
    CHICAGO
    Posts
    784
    Favorite VH Album

    adkot/wacf
    Favorite VH Song

    in a simple rhyme/as is
    Last Online

    01.15.16 @ 10:42 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
    Yeah - that comment makes complete sense. Clown.
    must have hit a nerve

  5. #5
    Hot For Teacher M.C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    01.08.06
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    277
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    07.17.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 77 Times in 30 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoident View Post
    must have hit a nerve
    Yeah - it hit a nerve. I take insults to bands soooo seriously.

    No - here's why that is one of the most ridiculous comments you could make: you are on a message board for a band that a good percentage of the mainstream music public consider, to this day, a hair-band from the 80s. Now, obviously that is not true, and the people who make that declaration are basing it solely on the way VH, primarily Dave, dressed during that time. But, going by YOUR logic, Van Halen is and always was a 70s cover band. That's what they started out as. Why? Because that was the scene back then and that's what they played BEFORE they got a record deal.

    Conversely, when Pantera hit the scene in the mid-80s, the leather and teased hair was the style, as was covering bands like Priest and Maiden. When Anselmo joined, they progressively moved away from that. It wasn't "for the money" - that's just stupid. None of those bands were making money then and heavy metal, for all intents and purposes, was on it's last legs as Pantera got heavier and heavier. There was no big metal scene making money then - it was all grunge, and which Pantera openly mocked many times live. They didn't put out sad, my-life-sucks songs, they stayed true to their roots, putting a different, modern spin on it...kinda like, hey - Van Halen!

    So, of course you're entitled to your opinion, but when you get the facts wrong, well, you're just wrong.

  6. #6
    Eruption zoident's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.28.12
    Location
    CHICAGO
    Posts
    784
    Favorite VH Album

    adkot/wacf
    Favorite VH Song

    in a simple rhyme/as is
    Last Online

    01.15.16 @ 10:42 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
    Yeah - it hit a nerve. I take insults to bands soooo seriously.

    No - here's why that is one of the most ridiculous comments you could make: you are on a message board for a band that a good percentage of the mainstream music public consider, to this day, a hair-band from the 80s. Now, obviously that is not true, and the people who make that declaration are basing it solely on the way VH, primarily Dave, dressed during that time. But, going by YOUR logic, Van Halen is and always was a 70s cover band. That's what they started out as. Why? Because that was the scene back then and that's what they played BEFORE they got a record deal.

    Conversely, when Pantera hit the scene in the mid-80s, the leather and teased hair was the style, as was covering bands like Priest and Maiden. When Anselmo joined, they progressively moved away from that. It wasn't "for the money" - that's just stupid. None of those bands were making money then and heavy metal, for all intents and purposes, was on it's last legs as Pantera got heavier and heavier. There was no big metal scene making money then - it was all grunge, and which Pantera openly mocked many times live. They didn't put out sad, my-life-sucks songs, they stayed true to their roots, putting a different, modern spin on it...kinda like, hey - Van Halen!

    So, of course you're entitled to your opinion, but when you get the facts wrong, well, you're just wrong.
    when metallica slayer and megadeth were releasing thrash classics pantera put out 4 hair metal records. if any one of those 4 records sold they would have not turned heavy! check your facts BOZO!

  7. #7
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    29,882
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Likes
    1,881
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Zoid? Why do you do this?

    This thread is about a possible Pantera cover of Outta Love Again, not your personal hate toward said band. Knock it off.

  8. #8
    Eruption zoident's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.28.12
    Location
    CHICAGO
    Posts
    784
    Favorite VH Album

    adkot/wacf
    Favorite VH Song

    in a simple rhyme/as is
    Last Online

    01.15.16 @ 10:42 PM
    Likes
    1
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Zoid? Why do you do this?

    This thread is about a possible Pantera cover of Outta Love Again, not your personal hate toward said band. Knock it off.

    yeah your right but i just couldnt help myself..btw i would like to hear that cover

  9. #9
    Hot For Teacher M.C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    01.08.06
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    277
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    07.17.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 77 Times in 30 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoident View Post
    when metallica slayer and megadeth were releasing thrash classics pantera put out 4 hair metal records. if any one of those 4 records sold they would have not turned heavy! check your facts BOZO!
    Wrong - again. Those bands were all underground and weren't making money off the labels or the mainstream press. If Pantera wanted to be like Metallica, then why did they put out something as relentless and heavy as Vulgar Display of Power AFTER Metallica went radio friendly? Answer: because they didn't follow the trends. And one didn't exactly look to SLayer and Megadeth as beacons of success and ways to make money. Sorry - but you don't fake Pantera did for so many years and what the remaining members still do to this day.

    Sounds to me like somebody took an errant elbow in the pit back in the day and is still sore about it

    Regardless, I'll take this ridiculous pissing match with you into PM from here on out if you want to keep it going, but I started this topic not to hear you bitch about a band, but to let fellow VH fans that a very cool act may have a killer cover sitting in the vaults collecting dust.

  10. #10
    Good Enough ignorance_is_bliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.26.10
    Age
    32
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,008
    Favorite VH Album

    Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

    09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Likes
    9
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

    Default

    Well, that was interesting.

  11. #11
    Good Enough cabomiro's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.11.08
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    2,613
    Favorite VH Album

    OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Dreams
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 01:13 PM
    Likes
    2,950
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

    Default

    I think someone got beat up at a Pantera show and now hates them.
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

  12. #12
    Eruption Steven B's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.11.99
    Age
    13
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,185
    Favorite VH Album

    The one with the :
    Favorite VH Song

    high fast stuff.
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 08:44 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Yeah, I remember an article in I think Metal edge back in the mid 90s that mentioned they did a VH cover to have as a possible B-side. It was off of VHII, if not Outta Love, it was Somebody Get Me a DR.

  13. #13
    Hot For Teacher M.C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    01.08.06
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    277
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    07.17.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 77 Times in 30 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cabomiro View Post
    I think someone got beat up at a Pantera show and now hates them.
    My sentiments exactly

  14. #14
    Hot For Teacher
    Join Date
    03.11.11
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    223
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl gone bad!
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Likes
    128
    Liked 152 Times in 67 Posts

    Default

    I also remember Vinny Paul talking about the same tracks. If anybody could do justice to a VH song it would be Pantera.

  15. #15
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,728
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Likes
    1,265
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zoident View Post
    when metallica slayer and megadeth were releasing thrash classics pantera put out 4 hair metal records. if any one of those 4 records sold they would have not turned heavy! check your facts BOZO!
    Enough with the personal attacks. And Pantera wasn't even on a major label on their early records with no money for promotion or marketing of any kind whatsoever. Not like they could have sold a lot of records. Check YOUR facts. So sad you say dumb things that now you have me defending Pantera.

    Nobody sold out out more playing dumbed-down metal for morons than Metallica. Talk about ironic.

    You are weird.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Pantera
    By jimmy in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 02.28.15, 04:53 PM
  2. Covered (Nickel) Pickup vs Non-Covered?
    By nast2112 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01.10.05, 12:07 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11.06.02, 05:49 AM
  4. List your favorite songs Van Halen covered on their official releases
    By BrokenCombs in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03.28.01, 03:05 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06.04.00, 06:16 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •