Favorite VH Album

adkot
    Favorite VH Song

she's the woman/hbsd
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:03 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 106 Posts

Default 'Vertigo' Tops 'Citizen Kane' in Greatest Film of All Time Poll

LONDON – Orson Welles' Citizen Kane no longer enjoys the moniker of greatest film of all time, a plaudit it has held for 50 years.
    The movie has occupied top billing in the British Film Institute published magazine Sight & Sound's once-a-decade international critics’ film poll since 1962.
    PHOTOS: Redbox's Top 10 Most-Rented Movies of 2011: THR Year in Review
    But that crown, according to Sight & Sound's 2012 survey of 846 movie experts who participate, has now passed to Alfred Hitchcock’s Vertigo.
    Made in 1958, the psychological suspense drama first entered the Sight & Sound poll in 1982 in seventh place -- two years after its director died. Largely ignored by the critics for most of his career, its rise in the poll is testament to how Hitchcock’s reputation has steadily increased over time.
    Starring Kim Novak and James Stewart, Vertigo trumped Citizen Kane by 34 votes this time around; it was five votes shy of Kane 10 years ago.
    And 1941's Kane, second in the survey, also missed out on the top spot in a separate poll of 358 film directors from all over the world, including Martin Scorsese, Quentin Tarantino, Francis Ford Coppola, Woody Allen and Mike Leigh, whose survey chose Yasujiro Ozu’s Tokyo Story (1953) as its greatest.
    The critics poll, first conducted in 1952, marks the magazine's seventh and its most ambitious to date.
    The 10-yearly survey aims to rule out fluctuations in taste and asks participants to interpret "greatest" in any way they chose.
    That could mean whether the film was most important to film history, represented the aesthetic pinnacle of achievement or perhaps had a personal impact on their own view of cinema.
    This year’s poll sample of 846 film critics, academics, distributors, writers and programmers from all corners of the globe was the biggest ever. They voted for 2,045 movie titles overall.
    That compares with the 144 that were asked 10 years ago.
    The pollsters said the huge increase in numbers "reflects the impact of the Internet and proliferation and increased influence of film commentators using this new medium."
    Another fallout from this year's top 10 is Sergei Eisenstein's Battleship Potemkin, a 1925 film that has appeared in the top 10 for all of the poll's 60 years in various slots.
    Three silent films make 2012's top 10 -- Dziga Vertov’s documentary Man With a Movie Camera (1929) is a new addition, while 1927's Sunrise, directed by F.W. Murnau, moves up to fifth and The Passion of Joan of Arc re-enters – ousting Eisenstein's picture.
    Organizers said the changes might be explained by the availability of the films on DVD and the resurgence in popularity in recent years for different kinds of live accompaniment to the films, from The Alloy Orchestra and Michael Nyman to prog rock.
    Ozu’s Tokyo Story is in third spot and Jean Renoir’s La Règle du jeu (1939) occupies fourth.
    Vertov’s film is the first documentary to make the top 10 since 1952.
    Carl Theodor Dreyer’s The Passion of Joan of Arc (1927) is ninth, while the most recent film in the top 10 is Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) in sixth place. John Ford's The Searchers (1956) hits the seventh spot while Federico Fellini's 8 1/2 (1963) lies 10th.

The Critics’ Top 10 Greatest Films of All Time
    Vertigo (Hitchcock, 1958)
    Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941)
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953)
    La Règle du jeu (Renoir, 1939)
    Sunrise: A Song for Two Humans (Murnau, 1927)
    2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968)
    The Searchers (Ford, 1956)
    Man With a Movie Camera (Dziga Vertov, 1929)
    The Passion of Joan of Arc (Dreyer, 1927)
    8 ½ (Fellini, 1963)

The Directors’ Top 10 Greatest Films of All Time
    Tokyo Story (Ozu, 1953)
    2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968)
    Citizen Kane (Welles, 1941)
    8 ½ (Fellini, 1963)
    Taxi Driver (Scorsese, 1980)
    Apocalypse Now (Coppola, 1979)
    The Godfather (Coppola, 1972)
    Vertigo (Hitchcock, 1958)
    Mirror (Tarkovsky, 1974)
    Bicycle Thieves (De Sica, 1948)
    My karma just ran over your dogma

Love 'em all I says
    Let Cupid sort 'em out

https://www.facebook.com/debra.browne.3114

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

It's interesting, isn't it, how 1968 is as up-to-date as it gets in the film critics' poll - a sad reflection I think of how, in today's world, where money is the primary motivating factor in most (if not all) walks of life, film is no longer made to make us 'think'.

Mass-market appeal seems to be the be-all and end-all for studios, consequently resulting in movies that cater to the lowest common denominator and spoon-feeding the vacuous consumer with the cinematic equivalent of baby-food.

It's a great shame - but inevitable in a world which values cold, hard cash over independent thinking and integrity.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

adkot/wacf
    Favorite VH Song

in a simple rhyme/as is
    Last Online

01.15.16 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

both are amazing works of art! 2 films that if you havent seen you must right away.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 208 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    It's interesting, isn't it, how 1968 is as up-to-date as it gets in the film critics' poll - a sad reflection I think of how, in today's world, where money is the primary motivating factor in most (if not all) walks of life, film is no longer made to make us 'think'.

Mass-market appeal seems to be the be-all and end-all for studios, consequently resulting in movies that cater to the lowest common denominator and spoon-feeding the vacuous consumer with the cinematic equivalent of baby-food.

It's a great shame - but inevitable in a world which values cold, hard cash over independent thinking and integrity.
    I think that the most "current" film on this poll being made in '68 is more of a reflection of those polled more than anything else.....money being the primary motivation in the film industy is hardly a new concept....there was plenty of crap made in the 20's through now....we can list countless films from the silent era up until now that were made for mass appeal.....there are just as many films, if not more, that have been made since 1968 with artistic integrity....they aren't getting the love right now.....address this list 20 years from now and I bet there will be some new and more current movies.

Last Online

01.09.13 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i love Vertigo but this list is lame.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVonDoom View Post
    i love Vertigo but this list is lame.
    I agree.....I love Vertigo too, but it's hardly the greatest film of all time....I'm not sure it's even Hitch's best film...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve mcqueen View Post
    I think that the most "current" film on this poll being made in '68 is more of a reflection of those polled more than anything else.....money being the primary motivation in the film industy is hardly a new concept....there was plenty of crap made in the 20's through now....we can list countless films from the silent era up until now that were made for mass appeal.....there are just as many films, if not more, that have been made since 1968 with artistic integrity....they aren't getting the love right now.....address this list 20 years from now and I bet there will be some new and more current movies.
    I have to admit that I'm not sure of the identity (or average age) of the critics polled but I find it hard to believe that they are ALL old codgers, languishing in the cinematic glory days of old..!?

But, nevertheless, here's hoping you're right and contemporary films with a bit more nouse start to get the recognition and praise they deserve!
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

I've only seen four of the films on the critics list, but I can understand what the entire list represents as a whole. If you love the cinema, it's about sitting in the dark and being taken away from the outside world that you just came in from... to escape.

I'll search out these movies and hope I can find them all to enjoy. I can't even begin to have an opinion on them until I do.

The list is not lame Doom, only your ignorance is.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.27.16 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I love that 8 1/2 was chosen by both critics and directors- after seeing it, it's rare to watch another film without seeing a trace of it's inlfuence. ASA NISI MASA!
    ***OFFCIAL TLW 8 VIRGIN/SURVIVOR!***

"Mean ass calendar!"-TST

"GYPSY DILDO PUNKS!"-Harry Dean Stanton

I'm Polish but I don't speak any of the language or know anything about it's culture other than getting mowed down by Hitler...-fast98dodge

My head is freshly shaven and I have cleaned the house before my departure-Viking preparing for TLW

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

They have clearly never seen Ishtar.

"I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    I've only seen four of the films on the critics list, but I can understand what the entire list represents as a whole. If you love the cinema, it's about sitting in the dark and being taken away from the outside world that you just came in from... to escape.

I'll search out these movies and hope I can find them all to enjoy. I can't even begin to have an opinion on them until I do.

It's kinda lame.....if only because of all the millions of people who have seen these films......they asked only 800 people what they thought.

I havent seen all those movies either......but I have seen Vertigo......great as it is.......the best ever?......

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.27.16 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have to say, Vertigo is definitely ONE of the greatest films ever made, but not THE greatest. It's not even Hitchcock's best film, in my opinion. My top three Hitchcock works have always been 1. Psycho (my favorite film of all time), 2. Rear Window, and 3. Rope.
    ***OFFCIAL TLW 8 VIRGIN/SURVIVOR!***

"Mean ass calendar!"-TST

"GYPSY DILDO PUNKS!"-Harry Dean Stanton

I'm Polish but I don't speak any of the language or know anything about it's culture other than getting mowed down by Hitler...-fast98dodge

My head is freshly shaven and I have cleaned the house before my departure-Viking preparing for TLW

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

Well... they just don't make 'em like they used to.

No Caddyshack?

Last Online

01.09.13 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post

Lame lame lame

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 2,380 Times in 1,485 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZachenFoot View Post
    They have clearly never seen Ishtar.

LOL
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.