Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

Default Sammy in August issue of "Record Collecter"...

I've noticed this on ebay, its not on shelves here yet in australia. I'm gathering its a discography and rarities column on Sammys career. "Goldmine" did one on Sammy around 2002 which was pretty cool. "Record collecter" usually do good interviews, so i'm hoping its a bit of both. Has anyone seen this on stands in USA or UK?
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

05.19.13 @ 03:27 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have this magazine (August 2012 - Hawkwind on the cover). Hagar interview is (sadly) only two pages (not many super interesting tidbits). Some good information, though (quotes from Hagar):

*(About resurrected song ideas etc)
    "My best songs were written in 5 minutes, like I Can't Drive 55, Big Foot, Sexy Little Thing."

"Struggle is not necessary. Though I did struggle with VH's Right Now. I'd written the lyrics and Eddie had the piano, but neither of us could hear it together. We didn't argue, but neither of us could connect it for 6 months. One day, he was playing piano and I was in the other room playing pinball. All of a sudden I went --right now, dar dar--..., and it worked!"

*(Unreleased material?)
    "F**k yeah. Especially solo. Standing Hampton, I wrote 27 songs for in 1981, 11 are on the record. Three Lock Box, I wrote 16. But for Chickenfoot, there's only a couple."

"Van Halen the same. We had one song per album that didn't make it, and there are two almost-finished. One I rewrote for Red Voodoo - The Wish. They (VH) tried to do it with Gary Cherone, and I had a great lyric, but we never finished it.

"Another Van Halen song was Come Closer (Chickenfoot III). Not the same lyric, but the same concept. VH finished that, though they'll never use it. They'll have to be dying in the soup line before they'd rekindle one of my songs, 'cos they'd have to pay me. Oh god! That would break their hearts!"

*(Pre-Montrose tapes?)
    "Yeah, I have a few (demo) songs with Thinderstick (w Carmassi). They tried to get me to sing when I had a band The Justice Brothers. I'd written these songs and they became Montrose's Make It Last, One Thing On My Mind, I Don't Want It and Bad Motor Scooter."

"I had a few demos (from Montrose), but I don't know where they are. But I've got all my acetates from Montrose, test pressings.

*(Music hero?)
    Clapton. I'd like to ask him to play blues all night at Cabo Wabo."

--

Best news is, that if there's ever going to be some slick Hagar box set - or at least remastered editions of Standing Hampton and Three Lock Box, Hagar has plenty of unreleased songs! And who knows what else - he only mentioned these two albums (+Chickenfoot, VH).

But I'm sure that one tongue-in-cheek joke about VH (soup line & paying Hagar) will get the conversation going around here, not the unreleased songs.

(Btw. I don't feel that I Can't Drive 55, Big Foot or Sexy Little Thing are even close of being his "best songs". Easy and fun rock - sure, but he has written better songs over the years.)
    Last edited by E-boy; 08.19.12 at 03:59 AM.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 6,851 Times in 3,588 Posts

Premium Member

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by E-boy View Post
    I"Another Van Halen song was Come Closer (Chickenfoot III). Not the same lyric, but the same concept. VH finished that, though they'll never use it. They'll have to be dying in the soup line before they'd rekindle one of my songs, 'cos they'd have to pay me. Oh god! That would break their hearts!"

What a cool interview!
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

This actually sounds like one of the better interviews he's given.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Come Closer was leftover from the VH days? Damn...I love the song and Joe's solo in it. Just perfect.

Can't help but wonder what Edward would have done with it though.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

its still not on stands in australia. might have to order it on ebay. sounds good. had no idea "come closer' was used for VH. Always love new info.
    "Standing hampton" and "3 Lock box' badly need a remaster. I would'nt mind seeing "The red album" remastered too.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,186 Times in 8,988 Posts

I'd be very interested in hearing the three or four unreleased VH tunes he did.

The others, not dying to hear, there is a reason most unreleased stuff is "unreleased".
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

08.24.15 @ 08:58 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

I don't feel that I Can't Drive 55, Big Foot or Sexy Little Thing are even close of being his "best songs". Easy and fun rock - sure, but he has written better songs over the years.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Now, I know people will kill me for this, but I don't think there is a single song Chickenfoot has done that is as good as Serious Ju Ju and a bunch of songs from Marching to Mars and Ten 13.

I am sure I am in the minority, but that is why I find myself a little disappointed in the Foot. Still good, but I just thought they would be great, and please everyone, I am not meaning this as a bash, just an observation.
    The albums that Sammy Hagar made after he split with Van Halen -- "Marching to Mars" through "Not 4 Sale" -- are some of my personal favorites.

IMO, they show a lot of artistic growth -- "Serious Ju Ju" is a great example of it. Another song that comes to mind is "Karma Wheel." It's just an epic song at the end of an album full of styles that Sammy's mastered.

I've seen Sammy live nine times since I was 10, and I feel like the best show I've seen by him was on the "Song for Song" tour. There was a kinetic energy to his set, and it seemed like he could do anything at that time.

I'm not sure if Sammy's artistic drive gave way to a business drive, or if -- more likely -- Sammy's just at a different point in his career now, and just wants to have fun.

The "Chickenfoot" album -- I think the name says it all: it's a goofy, fun rock album by some very accomplished rock musicians, who viewed the band as a kind of vacation from their day jobs, i.e. from "Sammy Hagar who makes songs like Right Now," or "Chad Smith who plays Under The Bridge," etc... Kind of like the Traveling Wilburys of hard rock.

I'd love to see Chickenfoot take Van Halen's "A Different Kind of Truth" as an artistic challenge... To write a classic that stands up with anything.

Sammy's done his best work, IMO, when he's had something to prove, e.g. when he got the Geffen contract, when he joined Van Halen, when he left Van Halen, etc... If he feels any competition from "A Different Kind of Truth," he's not saying so... But for our ears sake, I hope he does
    Springfield, MASS. - Hartford, CONN. =VH= Fans UNITE!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

I like your analogy to Traveling Wilburys.

As for a challenge- yeah I'd like to see Chickenfoot continue to evolve and put out better and better music. But I don't like the idea of a challenge.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanJuJu View Post
    I'd love to see Chickenfoot take Van Halen's "A Different Kind of Truth" as an artistic challenge... To write a classic that stands up with anything.
    Priot to the release, Sammy said that CFIII was the greatest record he's ever done in his career so it would be hard to top that.

But seriously, in my biased opinion, CFIII is on the same level as ADKOT and neither of them are "a classic that stands up with anything".
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,186 Times in 8,988 Posts

I'm biased towards DLR, but I do like Sam and I think some of his solo work is quite good, whereas DLR has some really good songs, but is widely inconsistent.

But to me, CFIII is not even in the same conversation as ADKOT. Not that it matters, I have listened to and enjoyed the hell out of both of them, but to me it is not even close.

I don't even think CFIII compares to CFI, but that is just me.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Eruption
    Last Online

10.31.17 @ 07:54 AM
    Liked 144 Times in 100 Posts

"Van Halen the same. We had one song per album that didn't make it, and there are two almost-finished. One I rewrote for Red Voodoo - The Wish. They (VH) tried to do it with Gary Cherone, and I had a great lyric, but we never finished it.
    Guess Sammy referring to "Returning of the Wish"...? Interesting.
    Didn't know that a version of this song was amoung the VHIII (follow-up) demos.

Thanks for posting the highlights of the interview.

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sek View Post
    Guess Sammy referring to "Returning of the Wish"...? Interesting.
    Didn't know that a version of this song was amoung the VHIII (follow-up) demos.

Thanks for posting the highlights of the interview.
    Returning of the Wish was going to be "Between Us Two" with VH, and VH used it to write Once on VH III. If I remember correctly that is.