Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default EVH Quality Control

I went to Cream City Music today in Milwaukee specifically because they had a couple of left handed standards. A black one and a natural. The black one sounded dead. No natural resonence. The natural had was better, but not $3000 nice with dark spots in the maple. The necks on both seemed to have questionalble quality in the quarter sawn with a lot of dark streaks. I know that is cosmetic, but for a $3000 guitar? I was thinking that these necks were no better than my OLP mm1.

Granted I played them unplugged, but many guitars, ones I own, "sing" unplugged. I have held many EVH wolfgangs at GC and Interstate Music, both specials and standards. I think they are hit or miss.

The part that was most unsettling to me was the right handed custom I held. It was really heavy, but the thing that bothered me was the fact that the neck joint looked like it had a lot of filler. It also had a split in the binding on the headstock that showed the mohagany underneith. Unacceptable for $4000 guitar!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I own a lefty standard in quilted cherry. It's absolutely perfect in every way, sounds great unplugged too. Couldn't ask for a better guitar and it came from the factory set up great and ready to play. Any of the new Wolfs I've seen have been absolutely flawless. I would think it unusual for the quality to be that off on any Wolfgang, let alone a batch all at the same store. I don't think that's the norm for this guitar.

On Fire
    Last Online

10.04.16 @ 10:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stephenjay21 View Post
    I went to Cream City Music today in Milwaukee specifically because they had a couple of left handed standards. A black one and a natural. The black one sounded dead. No natural resonence. The natural had was better, but not $3000 nice with dark spots in the maple. The necks on both seemed to have questionalble quality in the quarter sawn with a lot of dark streaks. I know that is cosmetic, but for a $3000 guitar? I was thinking that these necks were no better than my OLP mm1.

Granted I played them unplugged, but many guitars, ones I own, "sing" unplugged. I have held many EVH wolfgangs at GC and Interstate Music, both specials and standards. I think they are hit or miss.

The part that was most unsettling to me was the right handed custom I held. It was really heavy, but the thing that bothered me was the fact that the neck joint looked like it had a lot of filler. It also had a split in the binding on the headstock that showed the mohagany underneith. Unacceptable for $4000 guitar!

I actually will not buy a guitar unless it has mojo unplugged so i think you did the right test.
    I am NOT happy with EVH products, that goes for the amps,guitars,pu's,strings,etc,etc these are all OVERPERICED! he is charging custom shop prices on fender made pu's(except for the frankenstein which is made at duncan)
    My peavey special destroys the 4 EVH wolfs i have played in tone and feel
    the new wolfs are the worst in the history of VH sig guitars. Many ragged on peavey but most peavey's were top notch excluding the wolf EXP that is.

for his amps he should have NEVER went with fender! MARSHALL was the right and only choice IMHO
    Last edited by Charvelstrat_81; 08.01.12 at 04:20 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:15 PM
    Liked 11,565 Times in 4,929 Posts

Good guitars sound good unplugged...yup.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Charvelstrat_81 View Post
    I actually will not buy a guitar unless it has mojo unplugged so i think you did the right test.
    I am NOT happy with EVH products, that goes for the amps,guitars,pu's,strings,etc,etc these are all OVERPERICED! he is charging custom shop prices on fender made pu's(except for the frankenstein which is made at duncan)
    My peavey special destroys the 4 EVH wolfs i have played in tone and feel
    the new wolfs are the worst in the history of VH sig guitars. Many ragged on peavey but most peavey's were top notch excluding the wolf EXP that is.

for his amps he should have NEVER went with fender! MARSHALL was the right and only choice IMHO
    I think the stuff is priced in line with other companies. Is the US Wolf overpriced? You bet, but so is the non-signature gear from Fender, Gibson, and other big manufacturers...

Remember, the EVH brand is "licensed" to Fender. Obviously there will be markup to put $$$ in Ed's pocket, but the last time I checked, he wasn't running a charity operation... (don't mention the guitars donated to the LA schools...lol...)

The specials are priced fairly at $1349 MAP and the new 50 watt heads are a decent value at $999 MAP...

Speaking of amps, nostalgia says go with Marshall but I don't think they would put up with Ed's shit and also Ed's name would be bigger than the Marshall brand which would probably create some issues. (In fantasy world, I would love to see what EVH and Santiago at Marshall could come up with for a sig amp...) As far as tone goes, I've heard nothing but great things about the Fender built heads and respective cabs. I haven't heard them in person, but I would guess they are a big step up over the Peavey's...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:13 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post

The specials are priced fairly at $1349 MAP and the new 50 watt heads are a decent value at $999 MAP...

Speaking of amps, nostalgia says go with Marshall but I don't think they would put up with Ed's shit and also Ed's name would be bigger than the Marshall brand which would probably create some issues. (In fantasy world, I would love to see what EVH and Santiago at Marshall could come up with for a sig amp...) As far as tone goes, I've heard nothing but great things about the Fender built heads and respective cabs. I haven't heard them in person, but I would guess they are a big step up over the Peavey's...
    I agree about the USA Wolf being overpriced, but in line with a crazy market (on a side note, has anyone seen the prices of ESP's George Lynch stuff?? Wow...). The specials though are still on the rack with shitty string alignment issues. At least the two at the Tempe Guitar Center that I tried to play last week had those issues.

As far as the amps go, tone is really subjective but the EVH is a nice head; I really liked the green and blue channels, but the red just didn't do it for me. The original Peavey 5150 is pretty distinctive. You may not like the tone, but what it does, it does well. As far as build quality goes, the Peavey amp is a tank, the EVH? Not so much.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts

I just used the 50 watt on a recording session and the green channel was just what we needed for nice big clean guitar chords.

I was really impressed with the sound and to that end it's a keeper, however I do agree that it does feel 'cheap'. The tolex quality is not so hot and the switches used for channel switching are really loose and flimsy feeling.

I haven't used the 100watt so I can't compare the build quality.

There's a two month wait on the ivory 50 watt head (I'm in Oz).. I'm left wondering why there is such a wait, quality control/ production issues? Or just really popular?

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

01.22.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just wanted to say that Cream City, you may also know them as Warpdrive Music, is a great guitar shop. I have held many right handed EVH Wolfgangs and I was really excited to go there and play (non-special) left handed guitars. I just felt disappointed. I am not cheap and would gladly pay for a quality guitar.

In a mass production line, there are going to be duds and there are going to be studs. You are dealing with wood and many other components. I understand that. I don't blame Ed or anyone like that, but the fender "F" water slide decal outline on the back of the neck was clearly visable through the finish on the neck. I just think, in the case of the custom, that someone would send it back and fix it before it went out the door.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Good guitars sound good unplugged...yup.
    yeah and i always thought this because well do the math, you have a weak,feable,thin tone unplugged there is NO pu not even a dimarzio tone zone going to make that guitar have the tone i want, now on the other hand you have a strong,powerful,vibrant un- plugged guitar when this guitar is plugged in even with a weaker low output gibson PAF it is going to sound much better/powerful the previous one here. my charvels and peavey wolf all have a strong acoustic tone unplugged that really shines when plugged in.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    Marshall made one with yngwie? yngwie is very demanding maybe moreso than eddie?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I have the 5150III 50 watt amp. When the amp is cooking, it sounds really good. Unfortunately, it's suffering from volume drops/boost. They're random with no rhyme or reason. After talking to Fender about the amp, and trouble shooting, we've determined there are internal failures that require sending it back. The bad thing is I waited 5 months for the amp and the replacements are on backorder.

The EVH/Fender rep told me they should, emphasis on "should", have all backorders resolved by mid Aug. That said, the company I bought amp from has no expected delivery date, and have removed product from their site.

After talking to Fender again, I've decided to hold onto amp until replacement units are readily available.

All that said, when the amp is up and cooking...it sounds reallly good.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.24.13 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charvelstrat_81 View Post
    Marshall made one with yngwie? yngwie is very demanding maybe moreso than eddie?
    I have Slash's Marshall AFD 100 and its great, you can get the early EVH tone to a degree, the power scaling feature is great aswell Marshall and EVH would be killer tho

Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

From what I have seen..

Ernie Ball EVH: Always almost perfect high quality guitars.

Peavey EVH: Hit or miss...there are some fantastic ones that are even better than the EBMM and some total junk and everything in between.

Fender EVH: I have played 8 in a bunch of different shops. I liked 1 ivory one and 1 stealth...the rest had so many issues, I can't even begin to explain them all...string issues, finish issues, just not worth the money. I also don't like the tone as much as the Peavey/EBMM....to bright and buzzy for me

Still haven't found an evh guitar that plays or sounds better than my purple Axis.
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

Favorite VH Album

fuck
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

10.08.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts

As far as Amps...my peavey 5150 combo was a TANK and sounded amazing, loud and blazing! ...it was a bit too much for my needs at this time and I am looking for more differentiated sounds.
    Lets just throw a pound of weed in the fire place, f@#% it!

Proud owner: Purple Flame Ernie Ball Music Man Axis and a 5150 Combo Amp.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:07 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 97 Posts

I was not a big fan of the Special I bought (Vintage White) , at first I liked it but it was missing that bite (and the guitar had a few cosmetic flaws).

But I upgraded to a Standard (Cherry Quilt) and am completely satisified with the guitar.
    Sounds great unplugged and through an amp (and every amp I have tried so far - this guitar screams). The guitar is perfect in every way.
    Last edited by ScottyBHarris; 08.02.12 at 10:53 AM.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~