Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 2,801 Times in 1,450 Posts

Default The newbie condition

I was thinking about that at the VH get-together in Dallas.

I can see how that would irritate those who have been here a while....but maybe some perspective from the "other side" would not hurt?

Being a huge VH fan can be a lonely business (same for a huge fan of any band). No one around you really "gets it". You live your entire life basically being the only person who sees VH in the same awesome light you see them. Almost every scrap of info you possess about the band is something people around you don't know about. Not only that...most of them aren't really that interested to hear about if you bring it up. "Brown sound? Yeah...that's nice...how about those Cowboys?" In essence, you ARE "the biggest VH fan of all time".

You find this place and suddenly every single person in the room is interested in VH and shares your enthusiasm for them. This is probably the first time this has ever happened for a lot of new posters. It's gotta be tough to turn off the valve in that situation. The urge to just spew forth VH talk is probably mighty.

Maybe the "you suck as a poster" approach is not the right way to greet new arrivals? Just a thought.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:37 PM
    Liked 1,201 Times in 531 Posts

You suck
    Just kiddin'
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post

I was thinking about that at the VH get-together in Dallas.

I can see how that would irritate those who have been here a while....but maybe some perspective from the "other side" would not hurt?

Being a huge VH fan can be a lonely business (same for a huge fan of any band). No one around you really "gets it". You live your entire life basically being the only person who sees VH in the same awesome light you see them. Almost every scrap of info you possess about the band is something people around you don't know about. Not only that...most of them aren't really that interested to hear about if you bring it up. "Brown sound? Yeah...that's nice...how about those Cowboys?" In essence, you ARE "the biggest VH fan of all time".

You find this place and suddenly every single person in the room is interested in VH and shares your enthusiasm for them. This is probably the first time this has ever happened for a lot of new posters. It's gotta be tough to turn off the valve in that situation. The urge to just spew forth VH talk is probably mighty.

Maybe the "you suck as a poster" approach is not the right way to greet new arrivals? Just a thought.

Had to give you the Siskel and Ebert, good post

However, being a newbie too, I think people responding without thinking about what they are actually saying causes a lot of this. Not to mention that how "you" type an email and mean it to be read is not the same way someone else will "take it".

Sort of like talking to your wife. You know what you mean but she doesn't have a clue

Then again, who am I to give advice. My wife has made that abundantly clear
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by mikehunt5150 View Post
    You suck
    Just kiddin'
    (*Looks for the suck-knob on my keyboard*)

Quote Originally Posted by evhisagod View Post

Had to give you the Siskel and Ebert, good post

However, being a newbie too, I think people responding without thinking about what they are actually saying causes a lot of this. Not to mention that how "you" type an email and mean it to be read is not the same way someone else will "take it".

Sort of like talking to your wife. You know what you mean but she doesn't have a clue

Then again, who am I to give advice. My wife has made that abundantly clear
    Thanks. It just occurred to me that there must be a gentler way to let people know, "Ok....we know you are excited to actually be around other VH fans....but take a breath". It really does feel like being a kid in a candy store the first time you see this place. Your eyes get really really big.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained..
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 367 Times in 134 Posts

This should be required to watch upon registration.

...Zero Discipline

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

08.20.13 @ 02:53 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

When I created that, half of it was to poke fun at myself because I was one of those people who thought maybe they had some info or insight that no one else knew about or it just had never been discussed. Way-wrong on that one.

The other half of it was in jest but also as a sort of light-hearted warning that 'the new person has entered the shark pool'. I had adopted a bit of a shark-like mindset myself, being hard on people, especially excited new people.

I guess it's just the nature of the anonymity of the internet, people will lay the hammer on you every time. What I kind of resented as well was this linker mindset that since you were linker member for a longer period of time you were "more-correct" than the new member who's been a fan decades before you'd ever heard of VH.

To defend linkers I will also add, what is irritating are newbs who float in pretty much "ask for it" by making sweeping comments like "X singer is better than Y singer" and stuff like that. You seen it many times . . .Brett saying "Here we go again. Another one of 'those' threads".

Sometimes when I hear all the arguing I want to just seek refuge somewhere like the VHND, just read the articles (but ignore the comments section). But it's hard not to be drawn into reading posts by like minded members and defending against the "haters".

Arguing is just the way it goes. It's too bad that the dysfunction within Van Halen over the years has yielded so many splinter factions looking to hammer on each other. I'm finding it easier lately to put myself in other people's shoes before being too hard on them.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Liked 1,881 Times in 1,099 Posts

1 of my buddies joked with me the other day that I should put "vh expert" on my resume when I told him I could tie just about any hard rock band to vh in one way or another (kind of like the kevin bacon connector game). I had LWAN on the other day just cause I wanted to see something on One Way to Rock...I don't even remember what it was but my wife just rolled her eyes. Every once in awhile I'll start spouting off some random vh trivia at work....I almost think the amount of knowledge I have about this band is detrimental to my IQ. I mean this information has to be hogging up a large portion of my brain, who knows what I could accomplish if I had that space feed up?

(BTW, I told my buddy I could tie tesla to vh pretty easily and I can....at the end of Mamma's Fool Jeff Kieth sings "I may be crazy but I ain't no fool", this is actually the same lyric Sammy starts the song "love or money off with", Tesla covered Rock the Nation on Reel to Real and Ronnie Montrose suggested Tesla cover Little Suzi back in the day, now Sam played with Ronnie and was in VH, VH also covered Montrose in the club days and a bunch of times in concert with Sam and.....well you get the idea...oh yeah, Jeff Kieth was singing kareoke (sp) when Tesla first saw him and he was singing a sammy hagar song).

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by NoBrownM&Ms View Post
    When I created that, half of it was to poke fun at myself because I was one of those people who thought maybe they had some info or insight that no one else knew about or it just had never been discussed. Way-wrong on that one.

The other half of it was in jest but also as a sort of light-hearted warning that 'the new person has entered the shark pool'. I had adopted a bit of a shark-like mindset myself, being hard on people, especially excited new people.

I guess it's just the nature of the anonymity of the internet, people will lay the hammer on you every time. What I kind of resented as well was this linker mindset that since you were linker member for a longer period of time you were "more-correct" than the new member who's been a fan decades before you'd ever heard of VH.

To defend linkers I will also add, what is irritating are newbs who float in pretty much "ask for it" by making sweeping comments like "X singer is better than Y singer" and stuff like that. You seen it many times . . .Brett saying "Here we go again. Another one of 'those' threads".

Sometimes when I hear all the arguing I want to just seek refuge somewhere like the VHND, just read the articles (but ignore the comments section). But it's hard not to be drawn into reading posts by like minded members and defending against the "haters".

Arguing is just the way it goes. It's too bad that the dysfunction within Van Halen over the years has yielded so many splinter factions looking to hammer on each other. I'm finding it easier lately to put myself in other people's shoes before being too hard on them.
    Oh yeah....I forgot to include the fact that YOU CREATED THAT PIC. Sorry about that, Brown.

You are right that there will always be a percentage of newer posters who are hit-and-run types who probably just like to troll for a reaction. These types get weeded-out over time...thus the idea that "older posters are better".

But I was fairly taken aback at the reaction to one of my first posts. I must have worded it badly or something because I was accused of attacking EVH. (In fact I was trying to express concern for him) It took me a while to get the feel of the place. I suppose every forum has a personality.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    1 of my buddies joked with me the other day that I should put "vh expert" on my resume when I told him I could tie just about any hard rock band to vh in one way or another (kind of like the kevin bacon connector game). I had LWAN on the other day just cause I wanted to see something on One Way to Rock...I don't even remember what it was but my wife just rolled her eyes. Every once in awhile I'll start spouting off some random vh trivia at work....I almost think the amount of knowledge I have about this band is detrimental to my IQ. I mean this information has to be hogging up a large portion of my brain, who knows what I could accomplish if I had that space feed up?

(BTW, I told my buddy I could tie tesla to vh pretty easily and I can....at the end of Mamma's Fool Jeff Kieth sings "I may be crazy but I ain't no fool", this is actually the same lyric Sammy starts the song "love or money off with", Tesla covered Rock the Nation on Reel to Real and Ronnie Montrose suggested Tesla cover Little Suzi back in the day, now Sam played with Ronnie and was in VH, VH also covered Montrose in the club days and a bunch of times in concert with Sam and.....well you get the idea...oh yeah, Jeff Kieth was singing kareoke (sp) when Tesla first saw him and he was singing a sammy hagar song).
    Oh man...that sounds like a fun game. "Six degrees of Van Halen". The problem would be finding anyone in real life to play it with.

I also sometimes wonder if my brain's hard-drive is being cluttered up with too much useless crap. Do I really need to know that Harpo Marx once gave his last dollar to a guy selling a hair brush?

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Oh man...that sounds like a fun game. "Six degrees of Van Halen". The problem would be finding anyone in real life to play it with.
    http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/show...=Degrees+Halen

LOL!

I just wish sometimes it was a rule around here to use the search function more often as what may seem new to some has been discussed a thousand time before even I got here.

But I DO try to remember that I myself, was once a newbie...

Last edited by sixstring; 07.23.12 at 10:56 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

I also sometimes wonder if my brain's hard-drive is being cluttered up with too much useless crap. Do I really need to know that Harpo Marx once gave his last dollar to a guy selling a hair brush?
    see my problem is that it's not just VH, I have a vault of useless information that could hurt someone. VH, Hagar, Roth, the movie Tombstone (and all the real life people that are portrayed in it), Goodfella's (and all of them in real life as well), the 3 stooges (all 6 of em, although I don't know alot about Joe Besser), the Our Gang kids...and don't even get me started on the JFK, RFK stuff I know.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
    Damn....now I know this exists and can't pretend I would be good at it "if only I could try it".

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

08.20.13 @ 02:53 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

see my problem is that it's not just VH, I have a vault of useless information that could hurt someone. VH, Hagar, Roth, the movie Tombstone (and all the real life people that are portrayed in it), Goodfella's (and all of them in real life as well), the 3 stooges (all 6 of em, although I don't know alot about Joe Besser), the Our Gang kids...and don't even get me started on the JFK, RFK stuff I know.
    I'm like this. My sister calls be the "Cliff Claven" of the family. I guess you're the Cliff Claven of VHlinks.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Alright, next time I get to Detroit we gotta grab beer or two and compare useless trivia. My son called it "dads FFOD" which translated to "dads fun fact of the day" (I was ready to kick his ass until he told me the first F was for fun...), which is just random shit I carry around and spout off at times
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by evhisagod View Post
    Alright, next time I get to Detroit we gotta grab beer or two and compare useless trivia. My son called it "dads FFOD" which translated to "dads fun fact of the day" (I was ready to kick his ass until he told me the first F was for fun...), which is just random shit I carry around and spout off at times
    cool.

the stooge stuff is interesting.....the our gang stuff is just sad cause so many of them died under such strange circumstances and we'd need a week or 2 just to talk about JFK (oswald was a patsy) or RFK.