Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 69 12341151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1024
  1. #1
    Romeo Delight brokenleg's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.30.04
    Posts
    60
    Last Online

    06.26.14 @ 10:45 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default VH and Aerosmith?

    I'm finally getting around to reading Steven Tyler's autobiography, and I see that there is no mention of VH anywhere in it. I know that Aerosmith preceded VH by about 5 years in its popularity, but in the late 70's and early 80's, they would have been playing to same kinds of audiences. Why not much overlap between these bands over the years? Different coasts doesn't seen like it would fully explain it.

  2. #2
    Eruption
    Join Date
    10.12.11
    Posts
    1,265
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

    08.20.13 @ 02:53 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Define overlap? What were you expecting?
    Visit Van Halen - A Different Kind of Timeline. Your Van Halen "coffee table e-book". Music videos, full concerts, documentaries, photos, album releases and more. Scroll through reverse-chronological history of the greatest all-around rock band of all time.

  3. #3
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    29,784
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 09:17 AM
    Likes
    1,873
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default


  4. #4
    Top Of The World fizzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.21.12
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    183
    Favorite VH Album

    F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    5150
    Last Online

    01.24.13 @ 09:14 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Amazing!

  5. #5
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    38
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    14,254
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,315
    Liked 6,296 Times in 3,167 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    I remember reading somewhere that EVH and joe perry didn't get along. If memory serves me it stems form their early days. Joe perry was supposedly a dick to Ed and the band and he never really said anything positive that I've read since. He's also had an issue with Ritchie Blackmore are well.

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.05.06
    Location
    there's a sleepy town
    Posts
    8,193
    Favorite VH Album

    fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

    07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Ozzy told Steven, "You guys don't want none." "Trust me."

    True story.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

    I love coffee and sarcasm.

    RJD \m/


    Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    15,612
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Likes
    4,313
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default








  8. #8
    Sinner's Swing! Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.28.12
    Location
    vancouver
    Posts
    3,642
    Favorite VH Album

    all 7
    Favorite VH Song

    ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Likes
    1,508
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

    AEROSMITH / VAN HALEN

    Brad Whitford sometimes plays EVH Wolfgang guitars and EVH peavy amps. I read in Hit paraded or circus or cream , years ago , Steven Tyler and Joe Perry met with ROTH about contributing something to the " CFTH " movie soundtrack , but of course, that movie didn't happen.

    There was a cool picture of DLR backstage for a 1990 Pump tour show in L.A. , he had a fully ungroomed beard and was wearing a Judge Dread t shirt , standing next to Steven Pearcy , in the picture.

    Pretty sure Tyler and the boys gave VH props , as I recall Tyler stating in an article that they were motivated by VH while they were messed up at the time, around 81 or so.They saw VH on mtv and felt jealous , or something to that effect.

    It's also somewhat interesting that AEROSMITH regained their " comeback" status AFTER VH had broken up, and their 1986 album " Done with mirrors ) was produced by TED TEMPLETON , between him producing 1984 and EEAS , in 1985.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 07.17.12 at 12:03 PM. Reason: add something.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

    " I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

  9. #9
    Unchained GRCITY's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.11.07
    Age
    46
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Posts
    515
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    11.21.16 @ 05:48 PM
    Likes
    27
    Liked 45 Times in 24 Posts

    Default

    Whole really cares about Aeroshit anymore they sucked for years.
    1984 Detroit, MI
    1986 Detroit, MI
    1988 Pontiac, MI
    1991 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Auburn Hill, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1998 Rosemont, IL
    1998 Grand Rapids, MI
    2004 Detroit, MI
    2007 Detroit, MI
    2008 Grand Rapids, MI
    2015 Clarkston, MI
    "It's called two burritos and a root beer float" Eddie Van Halen-2009 Two and Half Men

  10. #10
    Eruption VanJuJu's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.11.07
    Location
    Springfield, Massachusettts
    Posts
    776
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Little Guitars
    Last Online

    08.24.15 @ 08:58 AM
    Likes
    46
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

    Default Aerosmith and Van Halen connections

    I recall during Aerosmith's "Behind the Music," Steven Tyler saying something along the lines of, [circa '85, during Aero's first attempt at a comeback], "the most popular bands of the time were ripping off Aerosmith," and he believed Aerosmith's comeback would "kick their asses," (not a direct quote, but that was the gist.) While Tyler was saying that, VH1 cut to footage of Van Halen's "Jump" video.

    Tyler and Aerosmith might not have had 'final say' on the edit; however, their competition was visually denoted as VH.

    Aerosmith and Van Halen share a few connections:

    * In '85, Ted Templeman was invited to produce Aerosmith's first attempt at a comeback on Geffen, 1985's "Done With Mirrors."

    * Likewise, in 1994, Van Halen hired Bruce Fairbairn to produce "Balance."

    * In 1997, David Lee Roth mentions Aerosmith in "Crazy From The Heat." DLR seems to consider Aerosmith an early influence, along with Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, etc.

    * In 1998, Sammy Hagar's unpublished book mentions Aerosmith and its [then] management numerous times. Although Aerosmith's management decided not to take on Van Halen, Sammy seems to have looked upon them favorably.

    * In 2004, Steven Tyler was supposed to sing the US National Anthem during the Boston Pops' July 4th celebration. He could not do it, (I forget why,) but in his absence, he personally recommended that David Lee Roth do it. That national TV spot garnered DLR a lot of positive, national press.

    * On David Lee Roth's radio show in 2006, he often praised early Aerosmith, playing "Adam's Apple."

    * When Tyler went on "American Idol," Sammy Hagar was rumored to be a possible replacement for him. (I believe that this was likely more media conjecture than anything else... The thinking being: who else can successfully replace a huge star/talent at frontman?)

    Now that Van Halen and Aerosmith are 'competing' again - unless they tour together and play stadiums - I don't expect either to mention the other much. Both bands seem to have an 'us against the world' mentality.
    Last edited by VanJuJu; 07.17.12 at 12:07 PM.
    Springfield, MASS. - Hartford, CONN. =VH= Fans UNITE!

  11. #11
    Forum Frontman fudd's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.22.08
    Age
    38
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    14,254
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

    @
    Likes
    1,315
    Liked 6,296 Times in 3,167 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GRCITY View Post
    Whole really cares about Aeroshit anymore they sucked for years.
    This.

  12. #12
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    29,784
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 09:17 AM
    Likes
    1,873
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Van Halen got passed over for Aerosmith as the Future Villain Band in the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band movie. Aerosmith has hated them ever since.
    Last edited by Number 47; 07.17.12 at 12:35 PM.

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    42
    Location
    6300 feet above sea level
    Posts
    11,022
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 08:22 AM
    Likes
    16,647
    Liked 10,811 Times in 5,684 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VanJuJu View Post
    I recall during Aerosmith's "Behind the Music," Steven Tyler saying something along the lines of, [circa '85, during Aero's first attempt at a comeback], "the most popular bands of the time were ripping off Aerosmith," and he believed Aerosmith's comeback would "kick their asses," (not a direct quote, but that was the gist.) While Tyler was saying that, VH1 cut to footage of Van Halen's "Jump" video.

    Tyler and Aerosmith might not have had 'final say' on the edit; however, their competition was visually denoted as VH.

    Aerosmith and Van Halen share a few connections:

    * In '85, Ted Templeman was invited to produce Aerosmith's first attempt at a comeback on Geffen, 1985's "Done With Mirrors."

    * Likewise, in 1994, Van Halen hired Bruce Fairbairn to produce "Balance."

    * In 1997, David Lee Roth mentions Aerosmith in "Crazy From The Heat." DLR seems to consider Aerosmith an early influence, along with Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, etc.

    * In 1998, Sammy Hagar's unpublished book mentions Aerosmith and its [then] management numerous times. Although Aerosmith's management decided not to take on Van Halen, Sammy seems to have looked upon them favorably.

    * In 2004, Steven Tyler was supposed to sing the US National Anthem during the Boston Pops' July 4th celebration. He could not do it, (I forget why,) but in his absence, he personally recommended that David Lee Roth do it. That national TV spot garnered DLR a lot of positive, national press.

    * On David Lee Roth's radio show in 2006, he often praised early Aerosmith, playing "Adam's Apple."

    * When Tyler went on "American Idol," Sammy Hagar was rumored to be a possible replacement for him. (I believe that this was likely more media conjecture than anything else... The thinking being: who else can successfully replace a huge star/talent at frontman?)

    Now that Van Halen and Aerosmith are 'competing' again - unless they tour together and play stadiums - I don't expect either to mention the other much. Both bands seem to have an 'us against the world' mentality.
    There's also a few boots floating around youtube of Van Halen doing some Aerosmith covers during thier club days.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

  14. #14
    Romeo Delight
    Join Date
    06.26.12
    Posts
    89
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 07:23 AM
    Likes
    89
    Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

    Default

    I remember an interview I read with Ed years ago where the guy asked him what he thought of Joe Perry. Ed was like, "I don't like him because I don't think he likes me. I went up to him to shake his hand once and he just looked at me and walked away."

  15. #15
    Eruption
    Join Date
    10.12.11
    Posts
    1,265
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

    08.20.13 @ 02:53 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 5150va View Post
    I remember an interview I read with Ed years ago where the guy asked him what he thought of Joe Perry. Ed was like, "I don't like him because I don't think he likes me. I went up to him to shake his hand once and he just looked at me and walked away."
    I think Joe's jealous.
    Visit Van Halen - A Different Kind of Timeline. Your Van Halen "coffee table e-book". Music videos, full concerts, documentaries, photos, album releases and more. Scroll through reverse-chronological history of the greatest all-around rock band of all time.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Aerosmith
    By billy007 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 1857
    Last Post: 12.08.17, 03:29 AM
  2. More on VH vs. Aerosmith...
    By Badabing in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11.25.02, 03:01 PM
  3. Aerosmith & Van Halen
    By The Van Baron in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10.09.02, 09:36 PM
  4. Aerosmith Tribute on MTV
    By Cabo Kid in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04.25.02, 05:40 AM
  5. Aerosmith Rocks
    By Betty Boop in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02.06.02, 03:28 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •