Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:46 PM
    Liked 151 Times in 86 Posts

Default Kramer Focus 6000

Hey, I just picked up one of these for a fair price locally and wanted to see if anyone can add to what I've found online. It's blue in color and has a humbucker & 2 single-coils. It has a Floyd Rose trem, coil-tap switch and rosewood neck...black headstock with 'KRAMER' in caps on it. The previous owner said it was probably a 1986 model but the neckplate wasn't included so not totally sure. I ready they may have had either Seymour Duncans or Kramer pickups and were made in Japan. I don't have my camera operational but can take pics later...it looks like this one I pulled off google, although mine has a finish where you can see the figure of the wood & has chrome hardware:

Any info that could be provided would be appreciated.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,296 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    Hey, I just picked up one of these for a fair price locally and wanted to see if anyone can add to what I've found online. It's blue in color and has a humbucker & 2 single-coils. It has a Floyd Rose trem, coil-tap switch and rosewood neck...black headstock with 'KRAMER' in caps on it. The previous owner said it was probably a 1986 model but the neckplate wasn't included so not totally sure. I ready they may have had either Seymour Duncans or Kramer pickups and were made in Japan. I don't have my camera operational but can take pics later...it looks like this one I pulled off google, although mine has a finish where you can see the figure of the wood & has chrome hardware:

Any info that could be provided would be appreciated.
    Its a 1987-89 model. The diminishing logo says it all. They do have Duncans in them. For what they are they are damn good. I have a Focus 3000 I've had since 1988 and I'll die with it. I got it when I was 8. Its my baby:

Last edited by fudd; 07.10.12 at 05:12 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Check out this site:

http://vintagekramer.com/focus.htm

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Nice! I'm not sure about it being an '86...It could be but I think (could be wrong) that lettering, what they refer to as the "Pyramid Logo" came out a bit later....'87 or '88 when they were trying to update the aesthetics of their lines to be "edgier" along the lines of Jackson which were starting to overtake their sales with their "modern" sharper edges, and pointy headstocks. I had an '88 Pacer II which is almost identical to this guitar which had it too. Pretty sure they'd be Duncans. They didn't skimp on the Focus line much. The Floyd and Duncan pickups were actually a big selling feature. I've owned a couple Focus guitars as well. A Focus 1000 single slanted HB, and full pickguard 3000 with S-S-H. All those guitars had the JB humbucker pickups.....Not sure about what the single coils were in the 3000.....Never used 'em anyway 'cept for the bridge position on occasion.
    Last edited by we die young; 07.10.12 at 05:40 PM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Its a 1987-89 model. The diminishing logo says it all. They do have Duncans in them. For what they are they are damn good. I have a Focus 3000 I've had since 1988 and I'll die with it. I got it when I was 8. Its my baby:

Damn dude! That's my old guitar!!!! Haha! I was just typing as you posted.
    Yep! Both my Focuses were the metallic red. My Pacer II was kind of a dusty rose color. More like a metallicy red primer-ish color. Haha! Sorry...sounds terrible but it worked on the guitar. Had all black hardware. Looked like a real cutting edge guitar at the time. They still look great!

Last Online

11.16.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 212 Times in 103 Posts

An 86 looks like this one...

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Damn dude! That's my old guitar!!!! Haha! I was just typing as you posted.
    Yep! Both my Focuses were the metallic red. My Pacer II was kind of a dusty rose color. More like a metallicy red primer-ish color. Haha! Sorry...sounds terrible but it worked on the guitar. Had all black hardware. Looked like a real cutting edge guitar at the time. They still look great!
    All Kramers are works of art to me. Except Strikers.

I love Kramers. This is the best guitar I've ever played and owned. Bow before my Pacer Imperial:

Last Online

Also check out the Kramer Forum... http://www.kramerforum.com/ Lots of great folks there talking about all things Kramer!

And if we're talking favorites... I've got quite a few Kramers, but I play this one the most... a C-plate Pacer Deluxe!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

All Kramers are works of art to me. Except Strikers.

I love Kramers. This is the best guitar I've ever played and owned. Bow before my Pacer Imperial:

That's sweet man! I know what you mean. I just loved them and not just because of you know who...Obviously his collaboration inspired all the good stuff about 'em, but they were simply a great guitar.
    The necks were perfect for me. They had great balance. It doesn't get any better for me than the original banana/hockey stick Explorer/Destroyer inspired headstock for styling (just my preference). Some swear and I believe too that the extra mass improved sustain, though the extra real estate it took up left it prone to breakage! lol. Broke one of mine after it fell over on stage. I managed to fix it cuz it was a real clean break.
    I still have two original Kramer necks in circulation on a couple of my mules. They're still rock solid, and I'll never part with them.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs View Post
    Also check out the Kramer Forum... http://www.kramerforum.com/ Lots of great folks there talking about all things Kramer!

And if we're talking favorites... I've got quite a few Kramers, but I play this one the most... a C-plate Pacer Deluxe!

That's real nice. Is that an original finish? That's one thing I never saw tons of was the wood grain in 80's Kramers.
    BTW KS 5150...I've got a lead on an 87' Kramer Pacer at the moment.....Reason I mention is how many I'm seeing off and on for pretty good deals lately. The one I'm looking at is black. Coil splitter, Floyd in excellent shape, and overall real good condition. It's got the rosewood neck, I tend to like maple better, but I never had any complaints about their rosewood necks. They always felt fine to me.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    That's real nice. Is that an original finish? That's one thing I never saw tons of was the wood grain in 80's Kramers.
    Thanks! Yep, it's the original finish. They had a run of transparent finishes before the banana headstocks. I've seen green ones and blue ones as well.

And here's a burst B-plate I have... some mismatched parts at the moment, but finish is original...

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Thanks! Yep, it's the original finish. They had a run of transparent finishes before the banana headstocks. I've seen green ones and blue ones as well.

And here's a burst B-plate I have... some mismatched parts at the moment, but finish is original...

B plates are nice. And heavy. Maple.

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

Thanks you guys so much for all your info....it could easily be '87 - '89, the previous owner wasn't sure....I was wondering about the pickups...I haven't had the chance to try them through my rig as yet (5150 combo) so am curious to see how it sounds...I got my camera going so here's some pics....and again, thanks to all!!! much appreciated:

"People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by KS 5150 View Post
    Thanks you guys so much for all your info....it could easily be '87 - '89, the previous owner wasn't sure....I was wondering about the pickups...I haven't had the chance to try them through my rig as yet (5150 combo) so am curious to see how it sounds...I got my camera going so here's some pics....and again, thanks to all!!! much appreciated:
    Man, that thing looks great! Nice score!

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

Man, that thing looks great! Nice score!
    Thanks very much!! Would you keep the stock bridge humbucker (Duncan, I think) or go for a Dimarzio Super Distortion? Just in your opinion...not sure which way to go....trying to achieve a saturated '80's metal sound (Ratt, Scorps, Dokken etc.) with this guitar through my 5150 as a complement to my Wolfgang.
    Last edited by KS 5150; 07.10.12 at 08:50 PM.