Favorite VH Album

Wings...not rings! ROTH ERA!
    Favorite VH Song

Not a Roth song I DON'T like!
    Last Online

10.15.12 @ 08:54 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Ross Hogarth Interview about ADKOT

Imagine a world without Eddie Van Halen.

"From the moment David Lee Roth appeared at the top of a giant runway that snaked through the Oklahoma City Ford Center audience Tuesday night, he wore the one thing that told every Van Halen fan that everything was right with the world. It was a maniacal Cheshire cat smile announcing happiness and enthusiasm that cannot be faked. Not only was the old band back together, it was thriving."

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 10,886 Times in 5,729 Posts

Premium Member

"as far as considering Ed one of the greatest guitar players ever to be born on this planet. I believe him to be, without waxing too poetically, whether it be the Mozart, the Beethoven, the whatever of our day and age. He has done things that no one ever did before he ever showed up. To work with someone like that, and also he’s a sweet and great and cool human being, man, that’s like having my cake and eating it too.

Hmm... In another thread we have a bunch of people who've never even met EVH talking about what a lousy human being and douchebag he is and here we have someone who has actually worked with him saying something completely different.

I think I'll believe the guy that worked with him...
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 01:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So will I.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Reading this article, the Guitar World Interview and seeing various interviews with Ed, he seems like he's in such a great place versus where he was just a short time ago. Sobriety, a new lady and new inspiration have done wonders for him.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

I know Ross has visited this site before, so I will say: Thank you. You were able to take the classic Van Halen sound and bring it into the 21st century. Not an easy thing to do, certainly (especially given all the variables discussed in that interview!), but you were able to navigate the minefield and really make the record sound like you're standing in the front row of your own personal concert with Van Halen.

When the band kicks in on Stay Frosty, that could be one of the coolest, chill-inducing moments I have ever experienced in music. It sounds like cannon going off which is entirely appropriate for that moment. Tied for first with that is the beginning of the solo on Blood and Fire. The little breakdown from Dave, strutting about being back, and then the explosion of the guitar solo literally made my eyes tear the first time I heard it. It was like a musical Resurrection--the band, back from the dead, as good as ever. Done differently it would come off as campy or forced, but in that moment it spoke to long-suffering VH fans everywhere and it owes a large part to the way it was mixed.

I still get chills at that part, even though I've heard it close to 1,000 times.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Fable View Post
    Reading this article, the Guitar World Interview and seeing various interviews with Ed, he seems like he's in such a great place versus where he was just a short time ago. Sobriety, a new lady and new inspiration have done wonders for him.
    See, this is what I don't understand. There is an excellent case to be made that the sober EVH is a great guy and some people seem to only want to focus on the past. I have no doubt that he was probably difficult to deal with when he was drunk/using drugs - most people are. However, I'd like to believe that the sober EVH is the real EVH and from what I see, he's certainly no "lousy human being."

Just watch the first 30 or so seconds, where it is clear that EVH is properly respectful to an electric guitar legend. Douchebags/assholes don't act like that.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    I know Ross has visited this site before, so I will say: Thank you. You were able to take the classic Van Halen sound and bring it into the 21st century. Not an easy thing to do, certainly (especially given all the variables discussed in that interview!), but you were able to navigate the minefield and really make the record sound like you're standing in the front row of your own personal concert with Van Halen.

When the band kicks in on Stay Frosty, that could be one of the coolest, chill-inducing moments I have ever experienced in music. It sounds like cannon going off which is entirely appropriate for that moment. Tied for first with that is the beginning of the solo on Blood and Fire. The little breakdown from Dave, strutting about being back, and then the explosion of the guitar solo literally made my eyes tear the first time I heard it. It was like a musical Resurrection--the band, back from the dead, as good as ever. Done differently it would come off as campy or forced, but in that moment it spoke to long-suffering VH fans everywhere and it owes a large part to the way it was mixed.

I still get chills at that part, even though I've heard it close to 1,000 times.
    Amen!

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

Depends on the Day of the Week
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, D.O.A., TYWH
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 1,329 Times in 799 Posts

This thread also has info on Ross's work with the band:

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/show....php?p=1514802

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I think that Ross is bang on in his observations and thoughts regarding VH. He's been in this business his whole life and he's worked with everyone. The guy knows his stuff and then some.

Thank you Ross for doing it right with VH. You've given us VH fans a tremendous gift with ADKOT.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you all for the positive feedback. I'm glad you're enjoying our interview.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

03.07.15 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    "as far as considering Ed one of the greatest guitar players ever to be born on this planet. I believe him to be, without waxing too poetically, whether it be the Mozart, the Beethoven, the whatever of our day and age. He has done things that no one ever did before he ever showed up. To work with someone like that, and also he’s a sweet and great and cool human being, man, that’s like having my cake and eating it too.

Hmm... In another thread we have a bunch of people who've never even met EVH talking about what a lousy human being and douchebag he is and here we have someone who has actually worked with him saying something completely different.

I think I'll believe the guy that worked with him...
    i already knew ed waz a great guy, nobodies perfect and haters have a job to do as well, hate!!!

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

That was a great read. Whoever the interviewer was - that's how it's done folks. Great example of leading questions and asking the subject (Ross) to elaborate in key areas.

Loved his takes on "Ruthless Compassion" (anyone with kids can relate to that), the "DNA" of the band (Guitar, kick and snare, vox) and thoughts on the lyrics, especially TTWN... Interesting comment on "desky"... who else read that line and immediately thought of the intro to So This is Love?

Cool interview!

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    See, this is what I don't understand. There is an excellent case to be made that the sober EVH is a great guy and some people seem to only want to focus on the past. I have no doubt that he was probably difficult to deal with when he was drunk/using drugs - most people are. However, I'd like to believe that the sober EVH is the real EVH and from what I see, he's certainly no "lousy human being."

Just watch the first 30 or so seconds, where it is clear that EVH is properly respectful to an electric guitar legend. Douchebags/assholes don't act like that.
    Your having a hard time understanding because you didn't reply to what I actually said. Where did I call Ed a douchebag or an asshole? Good luck finding it because I never said it.

Goodness gracious some of you are so testy.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ignorance_is_bliss View Post
    Whoever the interviewer was - that's how it's done folks.
    That was me. Thank you.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning and ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

09.07.15 @ 02:12 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Great read...i always like reading stuff like this the so called behind the scenes and making of an album especially when it pertains to vh. I think they covered a good amount of information of how Ross felt and how he approached working with the band and what he thinks of them as musicians.
    Janie Liszewski did the IMPOSSIBLE she helped Eddie Van Halen get better. Deal with it.

The day is dunzo lets have some funzo- DLR AS IS

Somedays you're the dog Somedays you're the hydrant- DLR Bullethead

It's not who you squeeze but who returns to squeeze you, no doubt, love em all I says let cupid sort em out!