Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 11,743 Times in 6,505 Posts

Premium Member

Default Tommy Lee does not want to take a picture with you.

These are the same assholes that are currently CHARGING their fans for VIP packages that include a meet and greet. WTF?

Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee doesn’t want to take a picture with you. The 80s rocker took to Facebook recently to explain to his fans that he doesn’t owe them anything and that he’s sick of posing for photos.

Lee starts his message off by telling his fans that he LOVES them.

Lee writes:

“I fucking LOVE my fans! And you know this!!!… If you asked anyone that knows me really well they would tell ya the same thing…Tommy loves his fans. He lives for this shit…he eats, breaths, shits music 24/7. They’ll also probably tell ya that he’s a down to earth grateful life lovin dude and a nice guy too.”

Once Lee is done patting himself on the back, he gets into his rant about fan photos.

Lee writes:

“What I have a problem with is… Taking pictures! I hate it! Irritates the fuck out of me when people say…you owe it to your fans, they put you where you are, etc etc! I certainly dont owe anybody anything! When I bought all my Led Zeppelin records and concert tickets I didn’t say “one day these fuckers are gonna owe me a picture” It’s the least they can do for me!…wtf people? You dont admire something so that it can give back… You just cherish it! And to those who say..you should be grateful that people wanna take your picture maybe one day they wont want it!…”

Lee goes on to say that he isn’t paid to take photos with fans. He’s paid to entertain.

Lee writes that the thing that bothers him most about taking fan photos is that people don’t consider the “situation.”

Lee writes:

“Ya wouldn’t wanna handshake standing at the pisser in the mens bathroom next to me would ya?… And Yes thats happened to me too… Or when your eating a nice quite meal with your family some rude jackass comes up and asks for a picture! You cant even imagine what kinda crazy has happened to me. I understand the excitement and all but just take a second and think… Is this cool right now?”

The Facebook post drew both criticism and support. Some fans are offended that Lee things his “hard work” is the sole reason for his success while others admit that Lee is a musician first and doesn’t have to take photos with his fans.

Lee’s band Motley Crue posted a followup message standing behind their drummer.

Motley Crue wrote:

“His job – the one his fans are (hopefully) paying him to do – is playing music and giving a stage show. It is not being their eternal picture-posing servant. Being able to take a picture with a musician isn’t a right – its good will on their part.”

Motley Crue tries to take a more civilized approach, saying that fans need to see that when Tommy and the rest of the band are out in public it’s basically their “time off” and they don’t want to be harassed by fans.

Of course, Motley Crue didn’t do that great of a job to calm the anger. Especially since they called their fans beggars.

“How do you typically deal with beggars (yes, a fan that approaches their idol in a private situation is essentially begging)? How about the drunk who’s feeling talkative and decides that you are the person he needs to share his innermost thoughts with? Annoyed? Just a little? Then think twice before making a nuisance of yourself. Musicians really don’t owe you anything – not even music. It’s great that you bought the album (you did buy it, didn’t you?), but that doesn’t suddenly mean that the band is in your debt, any more than buying that iPhone entitled you to crash the late Steve Jobs’ kitchen and raid his fridge.”

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 6,826 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

He's got a point. Most picture takers and autograph hounds are assholes. Get a life.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

It's a fucking picture, Tommy...really. What did you expect when you signed up to be a big, bad ol' rock star?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

That was handled about the worst way possible.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,956 Times in 443 Posts

Donor

Well, he's right, of course.

That being said, a public statement like this will only piss off the fans who think that if they happen to run into somebody that happens to be famous, then that person owes them a picture or an autograph. They must stop whatever they are doing to pose for them or sign for them. Obviously those fans are wrong, and it's sad that people think that way.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Maybe they wanted to take a picture of his dick.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:24 AM
    Liked 4,797 Times in 2,448 Posts

Premium Member

I look at it both ways. I can always ask for a photo but I shouldn't get mad if somebody turns me down. I also should be considerate of when to be ask. If a celebrity is with family, no. However if he is standing on a corner or at the airport looking bored, well maybe it will be ok.

However I do agree that artists don't owe us anything. I have said it for EVH and will say it for Tommy Lee. They put out a product and if I like it, I can buy it. I don't own their soul.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

08.20.13 @ 02:53 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

It's up to him. I agree that he doesn't owe fans anything. When you buy an album, or whn you buy a concert ticket that's all you get. You don't get more access than that.

If you approach him for an autograph and he says no, if he loses as a fan that's his problem.

If you approach him for an photo and he says no, if he loses as a fan that's his problem.

I agree with another poster that there was probably a better way to handle it. I'm sick of music fans always acting like they are owed stuff. You're not.
    Visit Van Halen - A Different Kind of Timeline. Your Van Halen "coffee table e-book". Music videos, full concerts, documentaries, photos, album releases and more. Scroll through reverse-chronological history of the greatest all-around rock band of all time.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 11,743 Times in 6,505 Posts

Premium Member

I think it is a pretty dumbfuck thing to put out when you are currently charging your fans for meet and greets. He's saying, " I don't want to interact with you unless you're paying me". That is a real shitty ass thing to do. The band's statement isn't any better.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    I think it is a pretty dumbfuck thing to put out when you are currently charging your fans for meet and greets. He's saying, " I don't want to interact with you unless you're paying me". That is a real shitty ass thing to do. The band's statement isn't any better.
    the band statement was incredibly stupid.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post

That being said, a public statement like this will only piss off the fans who think that if they happen to run into somebody that happens to be famous, then that person owes them a picture or an autograph. They must stop whatever they are doing to pose for them or sign for them. Obviously those fans are wrong, and it's sad that people think that way.
    It is a two-sided coin and folks should use respect when asking for one but at the end of the day, it's not really that big of deal, is it? I look at it as part of the job of being famous or talented. Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So this is love?
    Last Online

01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Well said. It's almost a case of buyer's remorse. He got famous, now he doesn't want to be bothered. Fuck you Tommy-Boy... This is the life you chose. Deal with it.
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

"The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

"If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:17 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post

Yep. Well said.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,115 Times in 8,948 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out who the musicians are that Motley Crue is talking about.

Calm down Motley fans, I'm kidding...welll, maybe just a little.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:03 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

I've never wanted a pic of Tommy Lee or have my pic taken with him and I'm even less inclined now.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA