Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Default How do I find band mates?

At what kinds of events/places can I find potential musicians to form a band with (genre would be more of a heavy/melodic rock sort of thing)? Craigslist just doesn't seem to be working. Is it actually possible that I could find people at open mic nights that aren't just looking to be the next Dave Matthews?

It's really bumming me out that I can't seem to find anyone in my age range (about 17-25) to make some kickass Rn'R with.

I'm thinking maybe I should start up a youtube channel, post a bunch of covers, and see if any opportunities come out of that? It's a stretch but it can't hurt, right?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Put up an ad at a music store. This old-fashioned method still yields results.

Open mic nights are hopeless. The performers there usually don't wanna rock.

If you've got the time for the YouTube thing, more power to ya. The music store ad will be your best bet.
    Last edited by Metal Marc; 06.29.12 at 09:00 PM.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeK21 View Post
    At what kinds of events/places can I find potential musicians to form a band with (genre would be more of a heavy/melodic rock sort of thing)? Craigslist just doesn't seem to be working. Is it actually possible that I could find people at open mic nights that aren't just looking to be the next Dave Matthews?

It's really bumming me out that I can't seem to find anyone in my age range (about 17-25) to make some kickass Rn'R with.

I'm thinking maybe I should start up a youtube channel, post a bunch of covers, and see if any opportunities come out of that? It's a stretch but it can't hurt, right?
    Stick with it, be honest and don't let online people..CL etc waste your time.

Check CL and other ol resources often. Bookmark the search for your area. Do not waste time with a lot of communication. A lot of people on CL are full of shit, will go on and on in tons of email then either blow it off when an audition is set or totally suck. You can get lucky though. Opportunities and quality/people do pop up on there.

Youtube is a good idea in part. Create a web presence. A reverberation, even a myspace or facebook for yourself as a musician..not a personal one. Anything that is quick and easy you can toss up music files, youtube links, pics and a brief bio. Be honest with them and yourself. Get that all going then work the online resources and give a link. Ask for sample files or video with anyone you are corresponding with. If someone can not send you anything then don't even bother. In the very least someone can record audio on their phone and email it to you. The people that don't have samples 99.9% of the time will waste your time.

Best bet is locally through a newtwork of musicians etc you know but if your just getting started try online as I said, check out some open mics, maybe with your printer or for 30 bucks print up some cards with your contact info and web addy so if you do meet people by chance you can quickly give them your info. If you are serious about this and stick it you'll meet people eventually.

GL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.24.13 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had the same problem when I came to the UK because I obviously didn't know ANYONE. But I was lucky, one day I saw this dude with a Skid Row shirt and ripped jeans walking in the square so I went over and said hello and we hook up. In the end he was talendless lol but that got the whole thing rolling. So what I wanna tell you is, don't wait that someone will come to you because that won't happen. If you want something you need to reach out and get it for yourself. Good luck

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Thank you for the replies. I forgot to mention that I have also tried traditional music store ads too but I guess I should try it again next time I'm up at Guitar Center. I'm going to have to read up more on ReverbNation and see what it's all about. I appreciate all the advice and I'm just going to keep at it.

That's a funny story Fizzy and it ties in with what AtomicPunk said about getting to know how somebody sounds before moving forward. A band had replied to my Craigslist ad saying they wanted to play. I was 17 and the band was mostly about 15, and my ad had mentioned bands like Alter Bridge, VH, Aerosmith, etc, so I thought it'd go great. I get there and they turned out to be a Disney-wannabe act. Looking at their setlist I saw "Photograph" and I thought "Oh Def Leppard!" Turned out to be the Nickelback song.

And extra thanks to you Metal Marc because I've been trying to tell my dad that open mics are pretty much hopeless for trying to find rockers.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Here's my take....It's not easy. I got lucky recently at my work. a guy who started a couple months back plays in a band already as a guitarist, but he's also a hell of a drummer and wants to start another project, so we've been out jamming a bit, and it's coming together well.
    Now that's a fluke of a situation.
    I know what you mean about ads being a real crapshoot. I remember years ago communicating with a guy who played bass and was wanting to get into a new project. We yaked for several days trying to hammer something out, his influences were said to be inline with ours, so we said come on out.

well, we met....nice guy, bit intense in person, but okay.
    we decided on a couple covers to rip through, got tuned up, and that's where the bullshit started.
    He could play alright...in fact he was damn good, but completely over the top. It was like playing with Jack Bruce cuttin' loose on NSU Live. The guy had some chops, but it was just insanity and lacked any attempt at cohesion as a unit.
    We tried to talk to him and say "well that's awesome, but it doesn't really fit here....it's trampling over the vocals there etc." This went on for some time, and trying some other stuff. No avail. He'd wind it down, then it was "The Tom Show" again....FFS......Then we were "assholes!"
    Yep.....How dare we....an established band tell a guy auditioning what were looking for. and it was real straight ahead stuff too, stuff like communication breakdown by Zep, Highway Star, Stone Cold Crazy.....Simple jam stuff, the kind you play to get a feel for if they can lock in a groove, and it was just horrible.
    There's other stories, but uuuuggghhh. why relive 'em?
    On the plus side....
    There are some good ol' free local weekly entertainment/commentary paper publications still. Most cities have them. They can be a little fringey, but there are usually some serious people who look through the classifieds.We have one in Vancouver called The Georgia Straight. I've had more success for music related ads over the years than anything online.

Like another poster said, in whatever forum you choose to post an ad, be real honest in what you're looking for, and also exemplify your skill level as a musician. This cuts through a lot of the time wasters, and also gives you more comfort being with someone of a similar experience level.
    It's tough, but you'll find some guys to play with. Just be patient, and don't give up if you run into a few turkeys.

Favorite VH Album

II, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

07.06.17 @ 03:13 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeK21 View Post
    Thank you for the replies. I forgot to mention that I have also tried traditional music store ads too but I guess I should try it again next time I'm up at Guitar Center. I'm going to have to read up more on ReverbNation and see what it's all about. I appreciate all the advice and I'm just going to keep at it.

That's a funny story Fizzy and it ties in with what AtomicPunk said about getting to know how somebody sounds before moving forward. A band had replied to my Craigslist ad saying they wanted to play. I was 17 and the band was mostly about 15, and my ad had mentioned bands like Alter Bridge, VH, Aerosmith, etc, so I thought it'd go great. I get there and they turned out to be a Disney-wannabe act. Looking at their setlist I saw "Photograph" and I thought "Oh Def Leppard!" Turned out to be the Nickelback song.

And extra thanks to you Metal Marc because I've been trying to tell my dad that open mics are pretty much hopeless for trying to find rockers.
    Do you have a School of Rock in your area? they have "grad schools" for adults and this also gives you the chance to hone your chops and play live while meeting others....it costs money obviously, but it is $ well spent in my opinon...

www.schoolofrock.com

good luck!!!
    Last edited by Masked Rider; 09.18.12 at 12:35 PM. Reason: wrong link

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

All except "How Many Say I"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:34 AM
    Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts

Has anybody tried BandMix? Is it worth the money?
    http://www.bandmix.com/
    “Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.” - Benjamin Franklin

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 1,126 Times in 617 Posts

www.joinmyband.org is great.

Though timewasters still float about like the shits they are.