Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all I says
    Last Online

11.24.17 @ 10:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Cabo Wabo effects settings

Hi guys, can you tell me what you set your chorus and flangers when you play this song - Please. Its fucking me off trying to work it out!

Cheers

Last Online

10.17.12 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A chorus will never sound right. You need a wet/dry/wet setup. Or if you are using a type of modeler, plain old Stereo will work. You need 'detune' effect, a lot of pitch shifters have this option.

A chorus has that swooshy sound so it never sounds right.

Jeez this was over a year ago but heres a little detune I recorded, don't mind the playing.. isn't it funny how you can listen to yourself a year later and say.. was I really that bad? lol

http://soundcloud.com/ookramoo/balance-tone-gr4
    Last edited by OokraMoO; 06.23.12 at 02:50 AM.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

01.24.13 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OokraMoO View Post
    A chorus will never sound right. You need a wet/dry/wet setup. Or if you are using a type of modeler, plain old Stereo will work. You need 'detune' effect, a lot of pitch shifters have this option.

Jeez this was over a year ago but heres a little detune I recorded, don't mind the playing.. isn't it funny how you can listen to yourself a year later and say.. was I really that bad? lol

Didn't Eddie start using the W/D/W suring F.U.C.K.?

I digged your tone mate, what was your set up?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Wasn't Cabo Wabo recorded on a 12-String?...You'll need one of those if you want it to sound dead right. Also the detune effect was created with an Eventide harmonizer. You don't need a W/D/W setup but stereo is a must have.
    Easy if you're recording direct into your computer, not easy live if you don't have the necersary gear though.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fizzy View Post
    Didn't Eddie start using the W/D/W suring F.U.C.K.?

I digged your tone mate, what was your set up?
    Yeah it was during FUCK, I just gathered he wanted that tone through his live rig and not recording, that can be done with stereo, for live you really do need W/D/W unless you have the AxeFX or something, it won't sound as huge though.

I was just going straight into Guitar Rig 4 into a patch I made.
    2 Mesa rectifiers split to stereo
    both boosted with Tubeskreamers
    9 cent down detune on the left Mesa
    9 cent up detune on the right Mesa
    Both mic'd with SM57 dead centre I think.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah it was during FUCK, I just gathered he wanted that tone through his live rig and not recording, that can be done with stereo, for live you really do need W/D/W unless you have the AxeFX or something, it won't sound as huge though.

I was just going straight into Guitar Rig 4 into a patch I made.
    2 Mesa rectifiers split to stereo
    both boosted with Tubeskreamers
    9 cent down detune on the left Mesa
    9 cent up detune on the right Mesa
    Both mic'd with SM57 dead centre I think.
    cheers man but what effect did you use for the detune? I mean what kind of stomp box?

EDIT: dude I was watching some other tone vids, some are really good esp. the early tones! Did you ever use Line 6 Pod's? I am using podfarm with the Line 6 UX2
    Last edited by fizzy; 06.23.12 at 09:44 AM.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey thanks man, yeah I've tried the Line 6 stuff, it just doesn't sound as nice as the GR stuff, neither does Amplitube.

Theres a pitch pedal in GR I used that for the detune.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey thanks man, yeah I've tried the Line 6 stuff, it just doesn't sound as nice as the GR stuff, neither does Amplitube.

Theres a pitch pedal in GR I used that for the detune.
    Thanks, I think amplitube is dead close to a real amp! But I just couldn't get it to work nicely. I haven't tried Guitar Rig tho

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:49 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    Wasn't Cabo Wabo recorded on a 12-String?...You'll need one of those if you want it to sound dead right. Also the detune effect was created with an Eventide harmonizer. You don't need a W/D/W setup but stereo is a must have.
    Easy if you're recording direct into your computer, not easy live if you don't have the necersary gear though.
    You are correct. If you don't have an original Fender XII electric twelve string or a Fender Squire Venus electric twelve string you are dead in the water. Pointless to try really.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Yes...you need a twelve, but you also need some serious toneshaping to get it right. The only chorus that did pull off Ed's tone quite well that I tried (and I tried a lot of them till I got my first 949) was the Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble.
    Think they still make em. It was a stereo chorus, but I never used that. Just enphasized the sweep a bit too much ,but plugged in mono thru the FX loop with 2 o clock depth, filter (the concentric knobs and the heart of what makes this pedal cool!) set at 1:00 and 11 oclock respectively, and just enough volume to match whatever the amp is at (of course, so it's not too loud or quiet switching the unit on or off like any other pedal), and a low rate at between 9 and 10 oclock got real close to Ed's base harmonized tone. for Cabo Wabo, I just upped the the depth and rate a touch. Comes real close. I use the pedal for gigging again after I Put it away for a long time, because of the Eventide Pitchfactor. Used that out for a while, but got fed up with the lack of user friendliness if I fucked something up in the field. I use it in my studio rig now, and I've gone back to the Boss for simplicity. You chould check it out.
    It's this one.
    Last edited by we die young; 07.03.12 at 09:48 AM.