Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

01.16.16 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Default EVH Pedal Board/Rig questions

Not sure if this had been talked about in its own post before, but has anyone built (or is anyone building) an EVH-inspired pedal set-up? I don't remember seeing anything about that since the new tour kicked off.

I'm interested in building something similar to what he uses. Beyond simply the EVH-branded pedals, what kind of switcher, etc does he use? Here was a pic I found online, but I just don't have the experience to make a lot out of it...

I'm a total novice when it comes to effects set-ups. I'd appreciate any help on this.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eddie-van-halen-pedal-board1.jpg 
Views:	1187 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	1809  

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TJK5150 View Post
    Not sure if this had been talked about in its own post before, but has anyone built (or is anyone building) an EVH-inspired pedal set-up? I don't remember seeing anything about that since the new tour kicked off.

I'm interested in building something similar to what he uses. Beyond simply the EVH-branded pedals, what kind of switcher, etc does he use? Here was a pic I found online, but I just don't have the experience to make a lot out of it...

I'm a total novice when it comes to effects set-ups. I'd appreciate any help on this.

Thanks
    It's an EVH Wah, EVH Flanger, EVH Phaser, Boss OC-3 Super Octave, MXR Analog Chorus, G LAB pedal power supply, EVH 5150 III Head footpedal, and what looks like a simple signal mute box.

The larger footpedal with the EVH logo looks like a passive true bypass loop system for each pedal (to completely take each pedal in and out of the signal loop) on one side, and a midi controller for the cathedral delay/rack effect settings on the other side. The other boxes are likely custom midi switcher interfaces to control various rack gear, or possibly clean signal buffers to compensate for long cable runs back to the amp/rack. His setup is a lot more complicated than just this pedalboard.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.18.15 @ 11:41 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

If you're looking to get approximations of the sounds that Eddie got on the album and tour in terms of effects;

You're looking at the EVH branded pedals, the Boss Octave pedal, MXR Chorus, and then a Delay & Verb pedal in the loop (I'd recommend the Hardwire Delay and Verbs). That's probably the simplest most direct route.

Eddie signal chain is way more complicated than what's on the board though. He's 2 Roland SDE-3000's in the rack off stage for left/right delays and a Lexicon PCM 70 for Cathedral that are controlled by the bypass strip. The other part of the equation is even from the bradshaw rig days, Eddie has run his rig in wet/dry/wet configuration which you'd need a power amp to run...

But for one amp, my suggestion probably gets you pretty close for jamming...

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

01.16.16 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

Hey guys, thanks so much. Yes - I was looking for just that run down of the pedals there to help build an approximation to that. I have never played too much with effects, other than just a simple pedal here and there. I have an old Digitech RP-20 that i have a bunch of settings for, but doesn't give me a great tone like i'd want from my amp. (An original Peavey 5150 2x12 combo.)

This is very helpful.

Any other advice, just keep it coming. If you have built some boards of your own before, I'd love to see them.