Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I to 1984
    Favorite VH Song

All of 'em up to 1984
    Last Online

02.16.15 @ 02:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Fabulous Picasso Brothers - Pete Angelus

After having just read Dave's bio again, I noticed that there is no mention of Pete Angelus at all in the book. Isn't this a bit odd?

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

08.24.15 @ 08:58 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Default David Lee Roth & Pete Angelus

From what I understand, David Lee Roth and Pete Angelus had a falling-out after "A Little Ain't Enough," (which was considered a disappointment by DLR's theretofore lofty album sales standards - selling only 700k copies at the time.) Additionally, DLR's tour with Extreme and Cinderella did variable business, whereas his 86/87 and 88/89 tours were commercial successes.

Concurrently, Pete Angelus was managing the Black Crowes.

The Black Crowes were coming off a platinum album, and then a multi-platinum album. They were one of the only commercially viable, non-Grunge, young rock bands at the time. By late 1991, they were selling more than DLR, had a "brighter future," and Pete Angelus (as manager) was getting a larger cut of their larger profits than he was of DLR's.

Either way, Pete Angelus moved away from/dropped DLR to focus on The Black Crowes before DLR's "Your Filthy Little Mouth" (the liner notes of which, I believe, do not thank Pete or "Angelus Entertainment").

I read an excerpt in which Pete Angelus paints his falling-out with DLR over the "Your Filthy Little Mouth" album. (Pete says he hated it). That said, I feel like it must've been more than that (at least, to David Lee Roth): DLR never once mentions Pete Angelus in his autobiography.

In 1980, David Lee Roth gave Pete Angelus his first "big break" in show business by hiring him to do the lighting on Van Halen's first headlining world tour. By '91, after numerous creative successes as the "Picasso Brothers," I believe that DLR thought of Pete as a creative partner and friend. To me, this seems pretty obvious in the David Lee Roth video collection, during which DLR talks about Pete and the Picasso Brothers at length. In that video, DLR makes Pete Angelus sound like his good buddy.

For DLR not to mention Pete Angelus in his autobiography, I can only imagine that DLR felt like Pete was a fair-weather friend -- he left DLR during a time of need, ('91-'93.)

For his part, Pete Angelus may have really hated the "Your Filthy Little Mouth" album -- but I think it's pretty clear that DLR felt burned enough by Pete to completely gloss over any contributions Pete made to DLR's life in "Crazy From The Heat."
    Last edited by VanJuJu; 06.20.12 at 08:58 AM.
    Springfield, MASS. - Hartford, CONN. =VH= Fans UNITE!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,161 Times in 8,975 Posts

At least he took the high road and didn't blast the guy, he just omitted him from the book.

I always figured it was something like that, but I am sure DLR was no angel to deal with either.

I see this happen to businesses all the time, it really shouldn't be thought of any differently when it happens with a band or creative partnership. Nothing lasts forever.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

08.24.15 @ 08:58 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    At least he took the high road and didn't blast the guy, he just omitted him from the book.

I always figured it was something like that, but I am sure DLR was no angel to deal with either.

I see this happen to businesses all the time, it really shouldn't be thought of any differently when it happens with a band or creative partnership. Nothing lasts forever.
    Well-said. I agree 100%.

I don't know for sure, but I get the feeling that w/ DLR and Pete Angelus, the line between business and friendship might've been blurred.

I can empathize if DLR felt deserted, b/c it seems like a lot of people who were originally 'in his camp' bailed after "A Little Ain't Enough."

DLR hung in there though.

IMO, it'd be cool to see a "Picasso Brothers" reconciliation!
    Springfield, MASS. - Hartford, CONN. =VH= Fans UNITE!

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning and ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

09.07.15 @ 02:12 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Thanks vanjuju for the insight always wondered about that relationship.
    Janie Liszewski did the IMPOSSIBLE she helped Eddie Van Halen get better. Deal with it.

The day is dunzo lets have some funzo- DLR AS IS

Somedays you're the dog Somedays you're the hydrant- DLR Bullethead

It's not who you squeeze but who returns to squeeze you, no doubt, love em all I says let cupid sort em out!

Favorite VH Album

5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 791 Times in 477 Posts

I thank you, too, for that info. Why DLR and Pete split is one of the few things I didn't know about VH and always wondered. That's a shame, they were so hilarious together. God I wish the movie's production company didn't go bankrupt like it did...that script was funny.
    Last edited by DFVH5150; 06.20.12 at 02:35 PM. Reason: .
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I to 1984
    Favorite VH Song

All of 'em up to 1984
    Last Online

02.16.15 @ 02:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, thought it must have been something like that.
    Is he still with the Black Crowes?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

Think so.

Now if someone could only find Donn Landee and make him talk...
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Think so.

Now if someone could only find Donn Landee and make him talk...
    He is easy to find, he is the one turning the treble to ELEVEN and the bass to ZERO.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

This is a good idea for a thread topic.as I have been interested to hear about the managers and other insiders stories for a long time.these are the people with the stories to tell,but I have found it difficult to find many articles with the insiders.

Now,what about ED ANDERSON.I actually talked to him at the commodore at DLR's 1994 show.But unfortunatly didnt know it was h.im at the time.I found out later on,when I saw a picture of him.I was wearing my 81 worldwide tour shirt and he approached me to ask if i would share the doobie was smoking at the time with him,while they were performing,"SUNBURN" and I remember that he comented that it doesnt get much better than this,and I stupiditly said that it does and has been better with VAN HALEN.And then he walked away.but I didnt know it was him at the time,so has I known I could've instigated a better conversation.Then maybe get some free t shirts or something,and I would have given them some of my killer deadly weed for sure.oh well.He did not say who he was and I figured it was a regular fan like me.This was during the "filthy mouth"tour,and was the smallest venue Id ever seen him perform in,and was quite special and very loud.I really enjoyed the show very much.I know that it was definetly ED ANDERSON after seeing his picture a couple years later.

Now I wonder what happened to him,and why he stopped working for DAVE.I recall something about being fired for selling t shirts,but an not sure if thats true.He would have some good stories I bet.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 06.21.12 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling and ebonics mishaps

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

He was on DLR's payroll and got caught selling DLR memorabilia under the table if memory serves.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.21.16 @ 05:48 PM
    Liked 45 Times in 24 Posts

Pete Angelus is an artist manager who has worked in the music business since 1975. During his career, he has worked with Van Halen, Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin, Slash, Hall & Oates and has been the only manager of The Black Crowes since they began touring in 1990.[1]
    Contents [hide]
    1 Early Van Halen years
    2 Music videos
    3 As a manager
    4 References
    [edit]Early Van Halen years

He first made his name in the business when he designed and directed a light show for Van Halen in 1980 for their first world tour as a headline act, which at the time was the most elaborate music light show ever designed and implemented, requiring 7 tractor-trailers for the lights alone. In addition to light and stage design, Angelus forayed into art direction for the band, influencing Van Halen's logo, and early album covers, as well as designing much of the band's merchandise from 1979 to their breakup with Roth in 1985. Angelus became such a creative influence the members of the band, Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, David Lee Roth, and Michael Anthony referred to him as "the fifth member of Van Halen." Many of David Lee Roth's quips came from the tongue of Angelus (Note the opening of California Girls: "Thank Heaven for Little Girls, Maurice Chevalier, 1958" "And some of the other sizes, too Pete and Dave, 1985".) Roth, with whom Angelus had a falling out after managing his solo career for six years, failed to acknowledge Angelus' work and partnership in his memoir.
    As MTV became all the rage, his interest turned to video production, and he went on to direct some of the most well-known and most-played music videos of all-time. Five times, the videos he directed were nominated for MTV "Video of the Year" status. Angelus later stated "If I had a name you couldn't pronounce, I might have won one." Angelus went on to write, direct and even star as David Lee Roth's manager as part of the duo "The Fabulous Picasso Brothers" in David Lee Roth's videos during his solo career: Yankee Rose and Goin' Crazy, among others.[1][2]
    [edit]Music videos

Angelus is credited with writing and directing the following videos:
    Jump / Van Halen (1981) [1]
    VH1 Top 100 Videos Of All Time
    MTV Greatest Music Videos Ever Made
    Hot for Teacher / Van Halen (1983) [3]
    VH1 Video Hall of Fame 2002
    VH1 Top 20 Funniest Videos Ever Made
    Playboy’s Top 15 Sexiest Videos of All Time
    Just a Gigolo / David Lee Roth (1985)
    MTV Greatest Music Videos Ever Made
    VH1 Top 20 Funniest Videos Ever Made
    California Girls / David Lee Roth (1986) [4]
    MTV Top 5 "Babe" Videos of All Time

Angelus also directed the following videos for The Black Crowes:[1]
    Jealous Again
    Twice as Hard
    Hard to Handle
    She Talks to Angels
    Thorn in My Pride
    Remedy
    [edit]As a manager

He has worked with such well-known label presidents as David Geffen, Tommy Mottola, Don Ienner, Rick Rubin, Mo Ostin and Clive Davis.
    He was instrumental in creating the “Jimmy Page/ The Black Crowes: Live From The Greek” record which was the biggest-selling Internet album of all time.
    Angelus was also responsible for the “Tour of Brotherly Love” with The Black Crowes and Oasis.
    Angelus’ business distinction is equally as strong as his creative reputation. Billboard Magazine referred to him as a “visionary.” A feature in The Album Network commented, “Angelus is a magician when it comes to artist development and the media….his creativity and success warrant the status he has earned as a legendary manager.”
    [edit]
    1984 Detroit, MI
    1986 Detroit, MI
    1988 Pontiac, MI
    1991 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Clarkston, MI
    1993 Auburn Hill, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1995 Auburn Hills, MI
    1998 Rosemont, IL
    1998 Grand Rapids, MI
    2004 Detroit, MI
    2007 Detroit, MI
    2008 Grand Rapids, MI
    2015 Clarkston, MI
    "It's called two burritos and a root beer float" Eddie Van Halen-2009 Two and Half Men

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

I donno. When you see a band like Rush, the crew has been the same since 1981. They can do a documentary and interview all the old guys, and you won't hear a bad word.

With Van Halen, you have so many broken relationships, guys that don't talk to each other, money deals gone wrong, people who's named can't be mentioned anymore and have been "erased" from history. Not only within the band members, but also with the entourage, crew and guitar techs.

This is a part of Van Halen I don't like.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I donno. When you see a band like Rush, the crew has been the same since 1981. They can do a documentary and interview all the old guys, and you won't hear a bad word.

With Van Halen, you have so many broken relationships, guys that don't talk to each other, money deals gone wrong, people who's named can't be mentioned anymore and have been "erased" from history. Not only within the band members, but also with the entourage, crew and guitar techs.

This is a part of Van Halen I don't like.
    Among bands, I would say Rush is the exception, and bands like Van Halen are the rule.

Just like in real life. Most people are selfish assholes.