Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

As Is
    Last Online

05.25.17 @ 07:52 PM
    Liked 190 Times in 83 Posts

Default Shows where DLR sounded good on the current tour!

I decided to plow through all the YouTube videos in search of shows where the vocals were good. I attended the Chicago show in Feb and thought DLR sounded better in 07/08. I have viewed quite a few recordings on YouTube. The first show to catch my attention was the Detroit show. I think that the "Girl Gone Bad" clip is stellar vocally. There are a few other multi-angle recordings of the same show and they sound very good vocally. Check out HFT under " more from." It proves that Roth can still do it, but not for a long tour. Ironically, DLR had a head set on that night. I prefer the mic, but he had a good night in Detroit. Has anyone else found some highlights vocally?

What are your major influences?

"Our major influences are my cock, Schlitz Malt Liquor, fast cars, loud music, volume. You know, all the usual."

DLR-1977

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by edvanheineken View Post
    I decided to plow through all the YouTube videos in search of shows where the vocals were good. I attended the Chicago show in Feb and thought DLR sounded better in 07/08. I have viewed quite a few recordings on YouTube. The first show to catch my attention was the Detroit show. I think that the "Girl Gone Bad" clip is stellar vocally. There are a few other multi-angle recordings of the same show and they sound very good vocally. Check out HFT under " more from." It proves that Roth can still do it, but not for a long tour. Ironically, DLR had a head set on that night. I prefer the mic, but he had a good night in Detroit. Has anyone else found some highlights vocally?

Love how David comes backing in with the moon strut right before Edward's solo.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:06 PM
    Liked 573 Times in 314 Posts

Donor

Damn, you think that sounds good? Both Dave and Wolf sound like leftover ass on that one. So much for Wolf's covering all of Mikey's high parts, too. That was turrible.

Let's face it, Dave doesn't REALLY sound good on anything anymore, but that's okay....he's Dave, and he never really was all that great with his live vocals. Back in the day, it was because he just didn't care to do it and concentrated more on working the crowd and being drunk.
    Today, it's because he simply can't. And that's okay, we still got a kickass album, and I'm happy with that.

Hell, Mick Jagger never, ever sounded remotely live like he sang on any album...he always made his voice a lot more bassy and had a totally different sound. But he was Mick. And Dave is Dave. And that's okay. Let's not make it something it's not.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

So we have one clip, and that clip is disputed.

Sounds about right.

DAAaaAAANnnCCCEeE the NIIIiiiGGggGHtTTTTttT AwWaAAAyyYYY!!!!

Favorite VH Album

adkot/wacf
    Favorite VH Song

in a simple rhyme/as is
    Last Online

01.15.16 @ 10:42 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Default 2nd chicago show

roth was great at allstate. but true vh fans know roth was never spot on live.thats why i dont get why people are just finding this out.i knew it when i bought a bootleg record (vinyl)when i was 12 years old,DIE LAUGHING anyone have it?maybe its youtube?? back in the day we didnt get to see every gig,we were seeing a wild rock band live .. raw and loose we didnt give a fuck if roth sounded like the record..

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

II
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 128 Times in 52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zoident View Post
    roth was great at allstate. but true vh fans know roth was never spot on live.thats why i dont get why people are just finding this out.i knew it when i bought a bootleg record (vinyl)when i was 12 years old,DIE LAUGHING anyone have it?maybe its youtube?? back in the day we didnt get to see every gig,we were seeing a wild rock band live .. raw and loose we didnt give a fuck if roth sounded like the record..
    That was the 1st bootleg I ever had as well!

Favorite VH Album

VHI-VHII-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Now - HoneyBabySweetieDoll
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:36 PM
    Liked 290 Times in 82 Posts

I gotta be honest... it drives me crazy with all this "Dave was never great vocally back in the day" crap...

He may have never SANG the songs the way they were recorded... BUT HIS VOCAL QUALITY was good... in some instances great... (I'm talking CVH era)

Now (unlike '07/'08) he seems to really be having a hard time even SOUNDING good... regardless of how he sings the songs...

There is a HUGE difference...

Unfortunately, age, smoking and I feel maybe something else had ravaged Dave's vocal cords and hopefully he regains his '07/'08 form... encouraged by the few screams I saw on YouTube from the last gig... but parts of his mid range seem to be failing him... as a singer I empathize because that is your power zone and I would hate to lose that...

But, I really can't say (with the exception of a few songs he has been pretty solid on - I'll Wait, Women In Love) that he is SOUNDING good... his voice seems to be bouncing all over the place...

Of course he is the showman (although, again, I preferred the 07/'08 cool Dave) and will ALWAYS be the ONLY Lead Vocalist for Van Halen for me...

\m/ \m/
    Wicked Maraya - www.Facebook.com/WickedMaraya / www.WickedMaraya.com
    NEW Wicked Maraya out now!!!
    'Lifetime In Hell' on MASSACRE Records!!!
    *** VIDEO CLIP - Suicidal Dawn *** - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aURvAMKdiPQ

"A little more volume in the headphones please..."

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/ Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Judgement Day/ DOA
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 02:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have to say that as fan of both era's of VH that Dave's voice has never mattered to me at all.

Dave entertains you period. He sounds great on ADKOT because there is nothing to compare it to. He is what at least 70% of Van Halen Fans want when it comes to the lead singer and I'm glad he got his gig back.

I could listen to Van Halen in an elevator as long as it was played EVH and AVH.
    “Music is for people. The word 'pop' is simply short for popular. It means that people like it. I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music. As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool.”
    Eddie Van Halen

The Futures in the Past:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine all Mine, Mean Street
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Voxmaraya View Post
    I gotta be honest... it drives me crazy with all this "Dave was never great vocally back in the day" crap...

He may have never SANG the songs the way they were recorded... BUT HIS VOCAL QUALITY was good... in some instances great... (I'm talking CVH era)

Now (unlike '07/'08) he seems to really be having a hard time even SOUNDING good... regardless of how he sings the songs...

There is a HUGE difference...

Unfortunately, age, smoking and I feel maybe something else had ravaged Dave's vocal cords and hopefully he regains his '07/'08 form... encouraged by the few screams I saw on YouTube from the last gig... but parts of his mid range seem to be failing him... as a singer I empathize because that is your power zone and I would hate to lose that...

But, I really can't say (with the exception of a few songs he has been pretty solid on - I'll Wait, Women In Love) that he is SOUNDING good... his voice seems to be bouncing all over the place...

Of course he is the showman (although, again, I preferred the 07/'08 cool Dave) and will ALWAYS be the ONLY Lead Vocalist for Van Halen for me...

\m/ \m/
    Van Halen today is as Ed describes them " A Power Trio"... Dave has clearly cooked his vocals (booze, blow & smoking).. The studio worked fine for the great album we got. Great lyrics...

But today we get the "Traveling Van Halen's" with Dave. And that's fine. Well worth the price of admission.
    Get your buzz on and enjoy the show. Hope Dave don't get pissed at anyone (buzz kill) and watch the 3 of them play thier asses off..

I respectfully disagree with 2 points you make Vox: Dave aint much of a showman these days IMO.. Wierd moves on a twister mat don't do much for me. His ego is back in a raging way..I respect the fact he aint 24, but still..

And there was another lead singer who has some of the best pipes ever in rock.... Was fan friendly and never took a night off.. In my humble opinion..

Hope they come back this way for second leg.. I would'nt miss it..

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 2,241 Times in 1,131 Posts

Premium Member

As for the OPs topic (since we don't really need another thread debating Dave's singing...), the reviews for San Diego were pretty solid. I think someone even commented that it was the best they heard from Dave in quite a while.

It's weird though, when I saw them in St. Louis, I thought everyone sounded fanstastic. It must be because of all the echo and stuff in the arenas that you can't tell when there's a hiccup in the vocals. However, when I went back to watch some youtube videos, there were clearly some rough parts in a couple songs. I still had an unbelievable time, though.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

all the above
    Favorite VH Song

top jimmy
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:41 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

It just never ends

what would you rather have

Van Halen w/Dave's hit and miss vocals?

no Vh at all?
    21 years old and dad has thrown him the keys to the car!!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.05.12 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is gonna be a short thread.

I'd say he sounded pretty good at the MSG shows and Philly, actually.

He was terrible in Reading. I figure most of the B-markets are like that.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:02 PM
    Liked 545 Times in 278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zoident View Post
    .i knew it when i bought a bootleg record (vinyl)when i was 12 years old,DIE LAUGHING anyone have it?
    Was it titled "Where's the Beef"? Came out around 84?

Favorite VH Album

adkot/wacf
    Favorite VH Song

in a simple rhyme/as is
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by FW1981 View Post
    Was it titled "Where's the Beef"? Came out around 84?
    no it was called die laughing..it came out before that.
    recorded in 1977 2 months before vh1 came out

Favorite VH Album

adkot/wacf
    Favorite VH Song

in a simple rhyme/as is
    Last Online

[QUOTE=Voxmaraya;1533015]I gotta be honest... it drives me crazy with all this "Dave was never great vocally back in the day" crap...

on the bootleg i talked about which is from 1977 dave sounds like shit!!! the gigs i seen since they got back together which are 4 of them were incredible compared to the 77 gig and i seen them in 81,82,and 2 times in 1984 and roth was lets just say not great lol!! but we didnt give a fuck because hes one of a kind,best frontman ever.. and he sounds so great on the records, best tone ever...