Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Default 06.16.12: Van Halen @ US Airways Arena - Phoenix, AZ - DISCUSSION/REVIEWS, etc.

Here's the live update and discussion thread for the Phoenix show tonight. This will also serve as the thread for reviews, videos, pics, etc., as well.

If you are going to the show and want to update everyone what's going on, etc., this is the thread for doing so.

US Airways Arena
    Phoenix, AZ

1. Unchained
    2. Runnin’ With The Devil
    3. She’s The Woman
    4. Romeo Delight
    5. Tattoo
    6. Everybody Wants Some!!
    7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    8. China Town
    9. Hear About It Later
    10. (Oh) Pretty Woman
    11. Drum Solo
    12. You Really Got Me
    13. The Trouble With Never
    14. Dance The Night Away
    15. I’ll Wait
    16. And The Cradle Will Rock…
    17. Hot For Teacher
    18. Women In Love…
    19. Beautiful Girls
    20. Ice Cream Man
    21. Panama
    22. Guitar Solo
    23. Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love
    24. Jump
    Last edited by Fontcow; 06.17.12 at 12:31 AM.

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

On my way with video camera...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Streets/Little Guitars/De
    Last Online

07.25.13 @ 09:07 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Best show I have seen

My older sister dropped me off at my first Van Halen concert when I was 16 in 1984, tonight was my 33rd show, her first, she just saw the best show I have seen in the 3 I saw this year. I have been critical of Roth, tonight se wounded a lot better, he still cant sing that well, but he sung more tonight then in a while. The guys were looser tongiht and seemed to be improvising and haveing a little more fun. Ed changed some stuff up a little here and ther, teh set list did not change unfortunately, there is still a lul in the show especially Ill wait, cradle will rock, women in love, beautiful girls Hot for teacher gives a littlle step up in the middle there, can you imagine if they replaced those with hang em high, girl gone bad and lighting up the sky--anyway, I love new album but china town is not a great concert song wither. Besides that, they were amazing, the first 50 minutes of the show just kicks ass, they dont let up all the way through, EWS and romeo and SGD are highlight for me tongiht. I will share some pictures, hope you like. Interaction between all of them was awesome, like I said they do there normal breaks but improvise pklenty.

Long live VH

1. Unchained
    2. Runnin’ With The Devil
    3. She’s The Woman
    4. Romeo Delight
    5. Tattoo
    6. Everybody Wants Some!!
    7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    8. China Town
    9. Hear About It Later
    10. (Oh) Pretty Woman
    11. Drum Solo
    12. You Really Got Me
    13. The Trouble With Never
    14. Dance The Night Away
    15. I’ll Wait
    16. And The Cradle Will Rock…
    17. Hot For Teacher
    18. Women In Love
    19. Beautiful Girls
    20. Ice Cream Man
    21. Panama
    22. Guitar Solo
    23. Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love
    24. Jump
    may 13 1984 Los Angeles Forum
    july 2 1986 Los Angeles Forum
    july 5 1986 Los Angeles Forum
    Nov 19 1988 San Diego Sports arena
    Sept 10 1991 Pacific Amp--Orange County ca.
    May 2 1992 Los Angeles Forum
    May 16 1992 Los Angeles Forum
    Aug 27 1993 Pacific Amp--Orange County ca.
    Aug 28 1993 Pacific Amp--Orange County ca.
    April 4 1995 Los Angeles Forum
    April 5 1995 Los Angeles Forum
    Oct 7 1995 Blockbuster Pavillion in San Bernadino Ca.
    Oct 15 1995 Irvine ca.
    July 4 1998 Blockbuster Pavillion in San Bernadino Ca.
    Aug 16 2004 Anaheim--5*
    Aug 19 2004 Staples L.A. ca.
    Aug 20 2004 Staples L.A. ca.
    Oct 18 2007 Chicago United center
    Nov 23 2007 Glendale az
    Dec 14 2007 Staples L.A. ca.
    Dec 18 2007 Anaheim ca.
    Dec 20 2007 Anaheim ca.
    June 9 2012 Staples, L.A. Ca.
    June 12 2012 Honda Center, Anaheim, ca
    June 16 2012 Phoenix Arizona
    July 24 2013 Paso Robles

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

For the most part the show was pretty good. Dave really got lost (or couldnt hear) on she's the woman. The acoustics in the building were horific (not the bands fault) it made the songs with extreme double bass a muddled mess - chinatown/hft.

Have to say, i didnt miss michael too much. Wolf held his own very well. I just wish dave would put a tad bit more effort in to some songs, but all in all, a great time.
    Got some good vids. Will post later.

Favorite VH Album

VH I; Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Honeybabysweetiedoll
    Last Online

07.17.12 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got back...Ears still bleeding in a good way! A few observations:

1) I don't know why the 2nd leg of the tour's been cancelled...but Eddie has obviously NOT fallen off the wagon...He was on fucking fire with a Cheshire cat grin the entire show!
    2) The band on stage chemistry is great...
    3) Dave's singing was powerful! I've seen Springsteen, Seager, Daltrey with The Who...He's a hard rock shouting frontman of a Powerful, high energy rock band...all this whining that he's not Pavoratti...so the fuck what - he delivered!
    4) Similar bullshit that Wolfgang's backing vocals are piped in or subpar...are just that. WVH was great, MA, (great guy I know) - was not missed...
    5) Place was packed to the rafters and the crowd LOVED it!

Look...I know this site is composed primarily of folks, (God bless 'em), who Demand that Van Hagar be treated with absolute parity with Classic VH...but there is NO cogent argument to counter the fact that a setlist of pure classic VH is awe inspiring in its sheer power!
    I expected a lot...and like the new album, my expectations were utterly, (and pleasingly), surpassed!
    I hate Rap...but this show was the shizzle! Great time to see a great band have a great second act...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little guitars
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:41 AM
    Liked 1,151 Times in 516 Posts

great quality

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

I predict.... well!... you'll see.

Favorite VH Album

VH I; Women And Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Honeybabysweetiedoll
    Last Online

07.17.12 @ 07:04 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry 47...didn't mean for you to hit your head...this is why I pretty much quit posting. Just...well...they played my town...and did very well. I'm out...

Eruption
    Last Online

08.17.12 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CAPTDave-USAF View Post
    Sorry 47...didn't mean for you to hit your head...this is why I pretty much quit posting. Just...well...they played my town...and did very well. I'm out...

Just too damn funny.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 544 Times in 277 Posts

You know that you have upset number 47 when he makes a post without providing a cartoon! Glad you had a good time and thanks for your service to this country!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

tora!tora!
    Last Online

07.07.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Default Rocked

Just got back a handful of hours ago...

Out here in the Southwest getting up at 5 am in the summer whether you slept or not is always the wise move...as it is 72 degrees now and will hit 95 by 8 am...

Wanna do stuff outside?

Gotta be a vampire and do it from 9 pm to 8 am....

That said...The drive to PHX from Tucson is usually dull and monochromatic...but we left during a monsoon burst and drove directly into a Haboob..which is a multilayer dust storm.

Got there downtown and noticed as we approached that theres a part of Phoenix that is historic that the city planners havent knocked down yet.
    This is one of those cities obsessed with strip mall and modernism.

In one word...its sprawling and ugly as sin. and HOT.

Which is what Van Halen had to deal with on stage...a cavernous ugly echo-ey arena and high stage temps.

Like previously posted...the slapback killed Shes the Woman and Chinatown.
    The songs with super thick grooves like Woman In Love and Running with the Devil locked in fine. People need to not bag on Wolf. That young dude was obviously ON TARGET with those high backing vocals and searing basslines..he's a Van Halen and scored the genetic lotto. as a musician...I can tell you that some of those runs he did while hitting those high pitched vox are not easy. He was louder then Dave at some points..

Dave. Yeah no mid range anymore. He's overcompensating. He's singing in this new key cuz thats what he has to work with. Works on some songs...kills others. I dnt quibble too much on the vocal front. He's a larger then life cartoon and I'm paying to be entertained. He did exactly that. Even Henry Rollins is a self described "Roth-ologist". Endlessly quotable and one of a kind.
    Ypu got some soft shoe...some leg kicks..mike stand twirling...nonstop movement by and large. Hegave you your admissions worth with a limited vocal pallette. I'm fine with it.

Eddie....it's so redundant. Buy a ticket just to get the guitar tutorial and see the best american guitarist play his instrument. You combine songwriting and ability and innovation of instrument and this guy is it. He poured buckets of sweat and tore a hole in the roof. He even hipchecked Roth and threw Roth off his vocal line...and strolled away chuckling. They get along fine. You dont hipcheck someone on stage that you hate. You do it cuz its funny to fuck with the singer. He's the best and the worthy price of admission. GO.

Alex...the guy doesnt get the dryhumping fanboy blather that his brother gets. WHY? I'm a drummer and I assure you its 1000x harder to be the glue that holds it all together for what...38 years?! No drummer no nothing at all kids. A good drummer is like a dragon...you hear about them in mythic terms but never see them. Alex is a fucking dragon...throwing fireballs at your head and keeping a metronome worthy timekeep. Bow down and recognise.

Wolf...like I said above. The genetic lockstep is a wonder to see live. Can you name very many more? Everly Brothers? The Maddox brothers and Rose?
    The Cash Family in the 60's? The family music juggernaut is so old school and so failsafe I'm stunned more people dont do it. And it's odd how rare it is in rock and roll. Wolf can play Drums, Guitar and Bass...like his dad. Can you imagine how he'll sound in 5 years? Lotta questions here...just go and watch him nail the groove and hit the siren backups.

Set List....is ok. They picked it due to Dave's polyps...which is I'm betting isthe problem with him. It's a fairly normal occorance with rock singers. That and smoking and not shutting up on the tour bus therefore not resting his pipes. Its happened to me ..I had to pace my talking in between gigs so I didnt blab myself hoarse out of boredom. Thats why the set is not midrange freindly and easier to bluff thru. Would rather they toured ADKT proper and devote the set to that by doing 6-8 of those and 3-4 hits and 2 deep cuts from the first 6 lps...with drum solo and guitar solo breaking the two sets up.
    thats 24 or so songs...which is what they do now.

Sorry for the length kids...its Van Halen...so it should go down easy. And I'm paid by the word....heh no thats a lie.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

tora!tora!
    Last Online

07.07.15 @ 06:07 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Default Rocked

Just got back a handful of hours ago...

Out here in the Southwest getting up at 5 am in the summer whether you slept or not is always the wise move...as it is 72 degrees now and will hit 95 by 8 am...

Wanna do stuff outside?

Gotta be a vampire and do it from 9 pm to 8 am....

That said...The drive to PHX from Tucson is usually dull and monochromatic...but we left during a monsoon burst and drove directly into a Haboob..which is a multilayer dust storm.

WICKED WEATHER!

Got there downtown and noticed as we approached that theres a part of Phoenix that is historic that the city planners havent knocked down yet.
    This is one of those cities obsessed with strip mall and modernism.

In one word...its sprawling and ugly as sin. and HOT.

Which is what Van Halen had to deal with on stage...a cavernous ugly echo-ey arena and high stage temps.

Like previously posted...the slapback killed Shes the Woman and Chinatown.
    The songs with super thick grooves like Woman In Love and Running with the Devil locked in fine. People need to not bag on Wolf. That young dude was obviously ON TARGET with those high backing vocals and searing basslines..he's a Van Halen and scored the genetic lotto. as a musician...I can tell you that some of those runs he did while hitting those high pitched vox are not easy. He was louder then Dave at some points..

Dave. Yeah no mid range anymore. He's overcompensating. He's singing in this new key cuz thats what he has to work with. Works on some songs...kills others. I dnt quibble too much on the vocal front. He's a larger then life cartoon and I'm paying to be entertained. He did exactly that. Even Henry Rollins is a self described "Roth-ologist". Endlessly quotable and one of a kind.
    Ypu got some soft shoe...some leg kicks..mike stand twirling...nonstop movement by and large. Hegave you your admissions worth with a limited vocal pallette. I'm fine with it.

Eddie....it's so redundant. Buy a ticket just to get the guitar tutorial and see the best american guitarist play his instrument. You combine songwriting and ability and innovation of instrument and this guy is it. He poured buckets of sweat and tore a hole in the roof. He even hipchecked Roth and threw Roth off his vocal line...and strolled away chuckling. They get along fine. You dont hipcheck someone on stage that you hate. You do it cuz its funny to fuck with the singer. He's the best and the worthy price of admission. GO.

Alex...the guy doesnt get the dryhumping fanboy blather that his brother gets. WHY? I'm a drummer and I assure you its 1000x harder to be the glue that holds it all together for what...38 years?! No drummer no nothing at all kids. A good drummer is like a dragon...you hear about them in mythic terms but never see them. Alex is a fucking dragon...throwing fireballs at your head and keeping a metronome worthy timekeep. Bow down and recognise.

Wolf...like I said above. The genetic lockstep is a wonder to see live. Can you name very many more? Everly Brothers? The Maddox brothers and Rose?
    The Cash Family in the 60's? The family music juggernaut is so old school and so failsafe I'm stunned more people dont do it. And it's odd how rare it is in rock and roll. Wolf can play Drums, Guitar and Bass...like his dad. Can you imagine how he'll sound in 5 years? Lotta questions here...just go and watch him nail the groove and hit the siren backups.

Set List....is ok. They picked it due to Dave's polyps...which is I'm betting isthe problem with him. It's a fairly normal occorance with rock singers. That and smoking and not shutting up on the tour bus therefore not resting his pipes. Its happened to me ..I had to pace my talking in between gigs so I didnt blab myself hoarse out of boredom. Thats why the set is not midrange freindly and easier to bluff thru. Would rather they toured ADKT proper and devote the set to that by doing 6-8 of those and 3-4 hits and 2 deep cuts from the first 6 lps...with drum solo and guitar solo breaking the two sets up.
    thats 24 or so songs...which is what they do now.

Sorry for the length kids...its Van Halen...so it should go down easy. And I'm paid by the word....heh no thats a lie.

Crowd...an interesting mix of washed up Sunset Strip...People of Wal-Mart..barely dressed 20 somethings and old dude rockers with their wives.... a smattering of kids which was nice. It was almost as fun people watching. Definitely some circus freaks and genetic malfunctions there. Thats Phoenix tho....The Newark New Jersey of Arizona...the last exit in Los Angeles county!

I'm out...

Thank you ahead of time for not banning me.

Donn

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

08.24.15 @ 08:58 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vaijuju View Post

great quality
    Awesome!

I love the three part harmony: "ain't no stoppin' noooooooow!"
    Springfield, MASS. - Hartford, CONN. =VH= Fans UNITE!

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:06 PM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

[QUOTE=vaijuju;1532376]

Dave sounds like he read my posts about not going too high. This was great. Sure, it wasn't exactly like the album, but much better than early in the tour when he was trying to sing way too high.
    Right here I say....

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by FW1981 View Post
    You know that you have upset number 47 when he makes a post without providing a cartoon! Glad you had a good time and thanks for your service to this country!
    All I was gonna say before is that I hope this thread stays on track about last nights show and that it not become a soapbox for everyone that dislikes CAPTDave's comments, then I changed it to what I posted above. Sorry you misunderstood.