Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

01.09.13 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Obama's immigration move: Blatant political pandering

If you're just joining us, Obama just took a dump on the constitution and the american people to get hispanic votes.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

agreed...

Hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants who were brought into the United States as children will be able to avoid deportation and get work permits under an order on Friday by President Barack Obama.

In a move that seemed to be aimed at Hispanics whose enthusiasm for voting in the November 6 election could be crucial to Obama's re-election chances, the president acted to potentially protect 800,000 people from deportation proceedings for at least two years.

Obama, who previously was reluctant to impose such an order even as Republicans in Congress blocked immigration reform bills he supported, called his action "the right thing to do."

His announcement was on the 30th anniversary of a Supreme Court decision that said children of illegal-immigrant parents were entitled to public education in the United States.

It allowed Obama, whose administration has faced criticism from some Hispanic groups for deporting about 400,000 illegal immigrants a year, to draw a sharp contrast between himself and Republican Mitt Romney, his opponent in the election. Romney, in trying to appeal to his party's most conservative voters, has taken a harsh stance against illegal immigration.

Speaking to reporters at the White House, Obama emphasized that his stop-gap policy did not grant amnesty or citizenship to the children of illegal immigrants. He said that such people "are Americans in their hearts and minds; in every single way but one - on paper."

Both Democrats who praised Obama's move and Republicans who attacked it agreed that Congress ultimately should decide the permanent fate of immigrants who were brought to the United States illegally by their parents.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...85E0VA20120616
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Well THAT sucks. ^

But at least I know who I'm NOT voting for.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

"Give me your tired, your poor -Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free"

Yeah....fuck those guys too.

LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

I wanna breathe free!!!
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

01.09.13 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

1. After deporting 400k illegal immigrants/yr. the highest record of any president, Obama decides to take a complete 180 turn 4 1/2 months before the election.

2. There are 23.2 million Americans who are unemployed / underemployed competing for jobs. they will now have to compete with 800,000 illegal immigrants as well. Unemployment rate goes up overnight.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

Just make Mexico a state and then tax the hell out of them. Next up for BO legalization of pot before November IMO.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

It is amazing how fast any POL can step on his or her proverbial Wang.

However, this move tends to show how slippery this presidents slopes can be

Oh November, where art thou?
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

President Obama's unilateral changes to the nation's deportation policies to shield young illegal immigrants reopened one of the most contentious issues in American politics.

Mr. Obama's executive action on Friday generated two immediate questions among members of Congress.

First, is alleviating the plight of young illegal immigrants worth the policy's risks? And second, did the president hurt immigration reform's long-term prospects by doing a short-term fix that conservatives saw as an end run around congressional authority and the Constitution?

Obama's policies would allow certain illegal immigrants a renewable two-year deferral from deportation and eligibility to apply for work authorization. Those affected are individuals who came to the US before age 16 but are now under age 30; have lived in the US for at least five continuous years; are in school or have graduated from high school or are serving in the military; and have not been convicted of a felony or a significant misdemeanor.

They are essentially the same people who would be affected by the DREAM Act, an immigration-reform bill that has stalled in Congress.

Many Democrats welcomed the move, which they say means real differences in the lives of illegal immigrants today.

"The Obama administration’s decision to extend temporary legal status to DREAM Act students is an historic humanitarian moment," said Sen. Dick Durbin (D) of Illinois in a statement. "This action will give these young immigrants their chance to come out of the shadows and be part of the only country they’ve ever called home."

Likewise, Sen. Robert Menendez (D) of New Jersey tweeted: "Young #DREAMers should not have to suffer & leave the country they have known & call #home because #Congress is failing to act."

Republicans, on the other hand, saw a policy that would be a "magnet for fraud," as Rep. Lamar Smith (R) of Texas put it in a statement, because immigration authorities would be unable to verify a person's eligibility for the new policy. Once granted a work visa, Congressman Smith said these individuals would compete for already scarce jobs with native-born Americans.

"President Obama and his administration once again have put partisan politics and illegal immigrants ahead of the rule of law and the American people," said Smith, the chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.

No matter the implications in the near future, a key Republican force on immigration reform – Sen. Marco Rubio (R) of Florida – questioned whether the president's action would lead to even more bitterness and gridlock on the long-stalemated issue of comprehensive immigration reform.

Senator Rubio said that there is widespread consensus on the need to enact policy that would help "kids who are undocumented through no fault of their own" while not encouraging illegal immigration in the future.

"This is a difficult balance to strike, one that this new policy, imposed by executive order, will make harder to achieve in the long run," Rubio said in a statement. “Today’s announcement will be welcome news for many of these kids desperate for an answer, but it is a short term answer to a long term problem. And by once again ignoring the Constitution and going around Congress, this short-term policy will make it harder to find a balanced and responsible long-term one.”

Sen. John McCain (R) of Arizona sounded a similar note in a statement.

"Today’s announcement by President Obama is a politically motivated power grab that does nothing to further the debate but instead adds additional confusion and uncertainty to our broken immigration system," said Senator McCain, who collaborated with the late Sen. Edward Kennedy (D) of Massachusetts in an attempt at immigration reform half a decade ago.

"Rather than unilaterally deciding for the American people what they want and how they believe this problem should be addressed, I encourage the President and his Administration to finally reach out to Congress and propose legislation on this important issue," he added.

Indeed, congressional Republicans burst forth with recriminations over the policy.

"It seems the Con Law Professor President forgot to read Article I. He needs a stark reminder," tweeted Rep. Dennis Ross (R) of Florida. The conservative freshman lawmaker referred to the first article of the US Constitution, which reads in part, "all legislative powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States."

The president's allies on Capitol Hill were quick to point out that the president's move was temporary – a future administration could unravel it as instantaneously as Obama instituted it. And they said the move would put pressure on Republicans to come to an accord on long-stalled legislation.

"The president’s actions were necessary due to the gridlock which has sadly become a normal condition for Congress," said Rep. Charles Gonzalez (D) of Texas, the chairman of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, in a statement. "A legislative remedy is still needed. President Obama’s decision should serve as a call to action for the Congress to meet its responsibilities."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:04 PM
    Liked 1,487 Times in 1,016 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVonDoom View Post
    1. After deporting 400k illegal immigrants/yr. the highest record of any president, Obama decides to take a complete 180 turn 4 1/2 months before the election.

2. There are 23.2 million Americans who are unemployed / underemployed competing for jobs. they will now have to compete with 800,000 illegal immigrants as well. Unemployment rate goes up overnight.
    Political football is the most awesome game we have here in the US.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Liked 3,118 Times in 1,829 Posts

Premium Member

The irony is the rate of deportation under Obama before this announcement. On the other hand, the feds were supposed to slow to a crawl medicinal marijuana busts...but they increased too.

SOMETHING has to be done. This partial amnesty isn't the answer, but neither is a fence or record deportation.

The real answer--the only one that will change this, assuming the US stays a super power, is change in Mexico. As long as Mexico, no offense, remains a cesspool of poverty, drug violence, and in some cases complete lawlessness, they will come here. In CA, they can get a free education (though as a culture this isn't as valued as, say, in Asian cultures) and free medical care, not to mention opportunity, and perhaps welfare.

On our side, we've done a crappy job enforcing laws and a crappy job making it easy for people to come here. IF done lawfully, it takes an insane amount of average time for a Mexican high school graduate to immigrate.

Instead of going into Iraq, we should have legalized drugs. Next, if Mexico couldn't get its shit together after pulling the rug out from under its kingpins, then we should have gone there instead of Iraq. Take over the country, change Mexico (again, the only answer).

Of course, that's not popular, a lot of people would call that insane, and no politician could ever do it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:21 AM
    Liked 4,810 Times in 2,455 Posts

Premium Member

I don't see how anybody can agree with this regardless of their political beliefs. Our founding fathers created a system of checks and balances to prevent this from happening. I didn't like it when Bush did it and I hated when Obama does shit like this.

The worst thing about this is its all about the election. He is setting precedent for him on 2013 onwards or any president after. Fuck the rules. Do what you want.

I did watch an interesting report on CNN (for those who think any negative reporting comes from FOX) and they were reporting yes this is good for the hispanic vote but the largest voting block are whites. Any gains he will get from this are going to be erased with the independent white and "Reagan Democrat" voting for Mittens. Blacks are already 99% in for Obama so no change there.

I remember reading a report about a year ago where they said Obama is going to run for relection based on class and race warfare. They were not kidding.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Liked 18,188 Times in 8,988 Posts

Our immigration laws are idiotic, but until we correct them they should at least pay face value to enforcing them.

Why are we even bothering to enforce control of our borders if we are going to turn around and do this?

It is just political pandering, done for no other purpose than to garner votes. It really is disappointing, for the man who pronounce he was going to end business as usual in Washington, he is just the same as everyone else. Do what needs to be done for political gain, fuck what is best for the country.

He is not alone in that boat, so please, Obama lovers, I am not saying he is the only guility party, I could write a book about Boehner too, but the thread was about Mr. Obama.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:36 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    "Give me your tired, your poor -Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free"

Yeah....fuck those guys too.

I'm all for people coming to this country, as long as it's legal. It's a slap in the face to my friends who have become citizens by going through the process, taking the tests and going through the ceremony. This blanket free pass is a continuation of policies our elected dictator see's no problem with. In the immortal words of some hillbilly who spray painted this on an overpass on I-65..."BUCK OFAMA!"

"Here illegally? Blatantly breaking federal law? I've got an executive order for that...remember me in Novemeber." -Your pal Barry (insert obama doing the buddy Christ pose)

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 742 Times in 409 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVonDoom View Post

American's don't want the jobs that they'll do.

As for the flip flop...so, what else is new? It's election time - of course that's going to happen - on both sides of the spectrum....anyone read that open letter Mitt sent out regarding the aboration of the auto bail out?? Yet, now he stands behind it? But only when in Michigan.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.