Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.29.13 @ 02:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Question on the new EVH Wolfgangs.

Has anyone who owns the newer Fender made EVH Wolfgang guitars had problems with the D-tuna when tuned to Eb?

The issue that I have had is that if the guitar is tuned to A-440 standard and I use the D tuna, it drops a whole step perfectly, right on tune. If I have the guitar tuned to Eb, when I use the D tuna, it doesn't drop the low E to a perfect whole step. I have to use the fine tuner just a little bit to get it in perfect pitch.

I even brought the guitar to a luthier to make sure I didn't have the D tuna setup incorrectly and he couldn't get it to work perfectly either.

Anyone else come across this issue and if so, were you able to do anything to make it work from Eb?

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

My Wolfgang Special is also tuned to Eb and I've had that happen sometimes too, although it does usually work perfectly. No big deal in my case, just a minor tweak sometimes with the fine tuner.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeK21 View Post
    My Wolfgang Special is also tuned to Eb and I've had that happen sometimes too, although it does usually work perfectly. No big deal in my case, just a minor tweak sometimes with the fine tuner.
    I agree that it's not a huge deal and only takes a minor tweak to make it perfect, just sort of baffled as to why it happens. They had to know when they were manufacturing these guitars that they were going to be played in Eb.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard29 View Post
    I agree that it's not a huge deal and only takes a minor tweak to make it perfect, just sort of baffled as to why it happens. They had to know when they were manufacturing these guitars that they were going to be played in Eb.
    haha, yeah, that's true. It would be interesting to find out why it would do that.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:05 PM
    Liked 701 Times in 247 Posts

Has anyone who owns the newer Fender made EVH Wolfgang guitars had problems with the D-tuna when tuned to Eb?

The issue that I have had is that if the guitar is tuned to A-440 standard and I use the D tuna, it drops a whole step perfectly, right on tune. If I have the guitar tuned to Eb, when I use the D tuna, it doesn't drop the low E to a perfect whole step. I have to use the fine tuner just a little bit to get it in perfect pitch.

I even brought the guitar to a luthier to make sure I didn't have the D tuna setup incorrectly and he couldn't get it to work perfectly either.

Anyone else come across this issue and if so, were you able to do anything to make it work from Eb?
    When you switch between tunings, you will need to adjust the Dtuna fine tuner set screw to dial in the whole step.

Last Online

10.17.12 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LAD-1972 View Post
    When you switch between tunings, you will need to adjust the Dtuna fine tuner set screw to dial in the whole step.
    This +1, there is a tiny little screw you need to adjust.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OokraMoO View Post
    This +1, there is a tiny little screw you need to adjust.
    Tried this 1000 times, still off by a few cents when the D tuna comes out.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some information I just found out on this issue...

I am told that when you tune down to Eb, it lowers the bridge slightly and because the bridge sits on the body with the wolfgang ( non recessed bridge ) , there isn't enough space for the d tuna to drop down far enough, causing it to be off a few cents when you use it in Eb. I am told the two options to fix this would be:

A) Sand the D tuna cap down on the underside just a little so that it can come down a little further when you pull it out of the bridge or:
    B) Sand the underside of the bridge where the fine tuners are so that the D tuna has a little more space to come down.

The above options make sense but I am certainly not doing either. Kind of annoying that they could not get this right at the factory by setting the guitar up in Eb first to make sure everything worked correctly. I guess they set the guitars up with the D tuna mainly for a standard 440 tuning.

Last Online

10.17.12 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If the bridge is sitting on the body, tuning it to Eb shouldn't make it move at all.
    Hell it shouldn't even move if you tuned it to drop Z xD lmfao

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am assuming that when it's tuned to standard - it is rasing the bridge up slightly.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Some information I just found out on this issue...

I am told that when you tune down to Eb, it lowers the bridge slightly and because the bridge sits on the body with the wolfgang ( non recessed bridge ) , there isn't enough space for the d tuna to drop down far enough, causing it to be off a few cents when you use it in Eb. I am told the two options to fix this would be:

A) Sand the D tuna cap down on the underside just a little so that it can come down a little further when you pull it out of the bridge or:
    B) Sand the underside of the bridge where the fine tuners are so that the D tuna has a little more space to come down.

The above options make sense but I am certainly not doing either. Kind of annoying that they could not get this right at the factory by setting the guitar up in Eb first to make sure everything worked correctly. I guess they set the guitars up with the D tuna mainly for a standard 440 tuning.
    that is rediculous

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

If the bridge is "pulling up" slightly in standard tuning, then you need to tighten the trem springs and get that thing flush with the body. Unless one is going with a floating trem, there's no reason why the trem should be pulling up if the trem springs have enough tension on them. You should be able to detune every string to slack with the trem not moving towards the body because it should already be in that position.

Also, if it is "pulling up", the rest of the guitar would be going out of tune, not just the E to D, D to E stuff...

The fine tuning screw is the correct answer. Always tune in dropped "D" first, then use the fine tuning screw once it's in the "E" position to get E in tune. There should be no issue after that.
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    If the bridge is "pulling up" slightly in standard tuning, then you need to tighten the trem springs and get that thing flush with the body. Unless one is going with a floating trem, there's no reason why the trem should be pulling up if the trem springs have enough tension on them. You should be able to detune every string to slack with the trem not moving towards the body because it should already be in that position.

The fine tuning screw is the correct answer. Always tune in dropped "D" first, then use the fine tuning screw once it's in the "E" position to get E in tune. There should be no issue after that.
    I hear ya....and I agree, should be as simple as using the fine adjustment on the D tuna. A tech at EVH told me they have received a few calls about this issue from others as well.

It's not a huge deal for me, it's only off by a few cents when I am in Eb flat anyway so I can just tweak it a hair with the fine tuner.

I was jujst curious if others who have the new EVH wolfgang experienced the same issue or not and it appears others have also run into this. Oh well.

Eruption
    Last Online

I am assuming that when it's tuned to standard - it is rasing the bridge up slightly.
    If the tremolo springs are pulling the base TIGHTLY against the body, it shouldn't matter if you tune to A or Eb. You need to determine this when you switch back and forth. Obviously, if the claw tension is enough it "A" tuning, it will be more than enough in Eb -- depends on your preference depressing the tremolo bar if it needs adjustment in Eb. Regeardless, it can't float.

I actually removed some of the plating on one of the old HEAVY chrome Dtuna's to get it to work correctly -- you shouldn't have to do this on the new models.

FAST98Dodge beat me too it...ha-ha!

Eruption
    Last Online

I hear ya....and I agree, should be as simple as using the fine adjustment on the D tuna. A tech at EVH told me they have received a few calls about this issue from others as well.

It's not a huge deal for me, it's only off by a few cents when I am in Eb flat anyway so I can just tweak it a hair with the fine tuner.

I was jujst curious if others who have the new EVH wolfgang experienced the same issue or not and it appears others have also run into this. Oh well.
    OK...are you thinking that you can switch tunings and NOT have to adjust the Dtuna?