Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night away
    Last Online

04.28.13 @ 08:30 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Van Halen and ZZ Top

Before I get into this thread, I want to point out that both of these bands along with the Stones, Bealtes and AC/DC constituet my top 5 bands. It's sooo cool that both Van Halen and ZZ Top have new material out this year (ZZ Top's new four song digitale EP, Texicali, is now up for sale on I-tunes) Just think, the last time Roth fronted Van Halen and the little old band from Texas put out new songs and toured in the same year was circa '83-'84!! Which also happens to one of the best eras for both bands -what a time it was: the MTV videos, all the air play, great quailty songs and near pefect albums. They really should have toured together this year and made it big event.

Edidie is obvisouly one of the greatest guitarist of all time and took inspiration from a myriard of players and styles. But it's very clear to me and probably most VH fans, that it's the simple riffs that is what makes the songs so great before anything else. ZZ Top must have been a great influence on his playing. I think Roth talked about having their first album in the early 70s and doing Brown Sugar in their early set. The great Valen Halen songs Hot For Teacher, Ful Bug, and Bottom's Up probably would not have existed it wasn't for ZZ's Brown Sugar, La Grange and Heard it on the X - which must have been a direct influence on Mean Streets and Sammy's annoying Three Lock Box.. ugh.. sorry. As I sit here and think of other possible influences, I realize now, that hot guitar riff Eddie does in She's the Woman may very well have been influenced by Waitin For the Bus. As Is could be included but seems to be more liken with AC/DC's Beatin Around the Bush, which was their version of Peter Green's Oh Well. I'm not slighting Eddie in anyway here, nor am I trying to dimish his creative prowse, I'm probably just pointing out what makes Van Halen great - the blues rock influences of the 60s and 70s. I know a lot of VH fans are from the metal scene but what made them so great is those infuesed early influences. Of course ZZ Top is not the corner-stone of his influences; merly just one of many key incredients. Other wise we wouldn't have had the amazing Chinatown.

Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:56 AM
    Liked 1,026 Times in 501 Posts

Good topic... As a guitar player, I hear a lot of the same things for some of the bands you mention. Especially the Rolling Stones. Take "Brown Sugar" for instance. The riff style in "Unchained" is similar (not a rip off at all, just another take on the style) from Brown Sugar. Later, in 1981, when "Tattoo You" by the RS was released, they again used that same style riff for "Start Me Up"...

Another example - "La Grange" by ZZ Top - later on down the road evolved into the high tech killer boogie stylings of "The Full Bug", "Hot For Teacher" and even later, "As Is"... Definite similarities.

These things have a way of sneaking into a guitar player's style no matter how unique and innovative one is... There are only so many chords, so many notes, etc... And, each band has its own interpretation and style to put to it.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night away
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm a modest guitar player as well and find interesting and fun as a lover of these bands, how they evolved and what influences creep into there songs. Speaking of the Stones and Van Halen, I wonder if Van Halen was indirectly influenced by Beast of Burden (1978) when he came up with Dance the Night Away. The triads used a very similar and Burden was a huge hit the year before- which of course was influenced by Curtis Mayfield.

I remember reading something about when Keith finally nailed the rock version of Start Me up after all the reggae takes; their producer said Keith walked into the control, listend back and said: "wipe it, sounds like something I heard on the radio today" Which many believe was the hit Thunder Island at the time. Their producer wisely saved the take, which went on to become one of their biggest hits.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

03.07.15 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

bottoms up! is edddie"s lagrange on steroids! just sayin

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night away
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Oh and speaking of la Grange, just listen to the Stones version of Hip Shake and most likely the orignal and there's that riff. All great things start as blue I guess.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

DOA
    Last Online

03.07.15 @ 09:16 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i love hip shake! they"re all just individual takes on a classic blues motif

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vonholland View Post
    bottoms up! is edddie"s lagrange on steroids! just sayin
    VH covered ZZ Top when they were playing clubs. I know Ed says they wanted to be Sabbath, but I hear more ZZ Top in VH. I think The Reverend Billy G. is more of an influence than people think. On VH and me!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 1984 & ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 266 Times in 120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    VH covered ZZ Top when they were playing clubs. I know Ed says they wanted to be Sabbath, but I hear more ZZ Top in VH. I think The Reverend Billy G. is more of an influence than people think. On VH and me!

Great post and topic... I'm right with ya! (•̃͡ x •̃͡)y-~~

- mrC.
    *Follow my ubiquitous audio/video/composing/production mishaps, with & without The OBViOUS ... often resulting in hilarious musical consequnces:

http://www.facebook.com/mrChristopherTV
    http://www.facebook.com/theobviouscom

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶

Favorite VH Album

VH, 5150, OU812, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/When It's Love
    Last Online

09.05.13 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frostydelight View Post
    Sammy's annoying Three Lock Box.. ugh.. sorry..
    Unnecessary and you are annoying. Three Lock Box rocks---suck it Frosty.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night away
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE=clrw5150;1529854]Unnecessary and you are annoying. Three Lock Box rocks---suck it Frosty.[/QUOT

Sorry dude, I just don't dig it. I like some of Sammy's tunes but three's a crowds when it comes to that riff and there is only room for Heard it On the X and Mean Streets for me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:56 PM
    Liked 463 Times in 220 Posts

Dave is a big zz top fan, he was probably the one who brought zz into their early sets in between GFR and zep.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

On the subject of "La Grange," it's abundantly clear the riff was borrowed from an old John Lee Hooker song from 1948.

You have to give credit to ZZ Top for bringing it to the rock 'n' roll stratosphere and popularizing it the way they did. But that riff is about 65 years old now. Crazy when you think about it.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little guitars
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 1,151 Times in 516 Posts

Thanks Zachenfoot! I remembered listen on tv when i was young a band from the 60's before (ZZ TOP) who played a song like la grange and they called it "a boogie" typical south music! .. again Muddy Waters (father for the stones), John lee hooker, Albert King were the father of Rock roll

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:41 AM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

ZZ TOP has a Killer deadly tune on their first album which i love called BROWN SUGAR,which i think is the one the first poster was referring to.
    But IMO their best is DUEGELLO.1979.and they never stopped touring and putting out new albums.this new one is generating more excitment because its produced by Rick rubin.
    VH also played Chevrolet from RIO GRANDE MUD

Yes ZZ TOP would be the perfect match if VH want to do a package tour.
    But they have been packing the arenas just fine as always by themselves,so I dont see the point really.
    When VH rolls into town,thats all I care to see.but thats just me.I like missing the opening act so i can cop a buzz outside and not spend too much on beer at the arena prices and be stuck in a place I cant smoke.I like getting juiced up and ripped then go in just in time for the mighty VH.
    Another perfect act for VH to hook up with could be SCORPIONS.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 06.10.12 at 12:43 PM.

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:36 PM
    Liked 1,945 Times in 788 Posts

Premium Member

VH should team for a tour with ZZ Top. Would love to see both on the same bill.