Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.11.12 @ 11:27 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default 2008 better than 2012

Love the new album and it kicks ass, but in my educated Van Halen opinion Dave sounded so much better in 2007-2008. Just compare any Youtube video before you flame me. Eddie was thinner and more energetic on stage, the band just seemed 20 years younger. I love Dave and I know he can sing, I just think he hurt his voice some where before the 2012 tour or early in it. Again, compare any video, here is a start:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Van Dalen View Post
    Love the new album and it kicks ass, but in my educated Van Halen opinion Dave sounded so much better in 2007-2008. Just compare any Youtube video before you flame me. Eddie was thinner and more energetic on stage, the band just seemed 20 years younger. I love Dave and I know he can sing, I just think he hurt his voice some where before the 2012 tour or early in it. Again, compare any video, here is a start:
    I agree.

Now, Eddie being thinner in 2007/8 was not a good thing at the time. He didn't look much better compared to '04 at the start of that tour. Dave was surprisingly the one constant for me at my show and it's a shame that he blows so much goat on this tour.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 01:24 AM
    Liked 11,544 Times in 4,918 Posts

Ed's playing is way way better this tour. Same with Wolf.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

If I could put 2007/8 Dave with the 2012 "Three Twins," I would do it in a heartbeat. Ed hasn't sounded this good in a long time and Wolf is killing it. Dave has sucked so much ass this year.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wolfe is better. Eddie sounded great in 07-08 too, Dave sounded so much better in 07 it aint even in the same ball park. Another example:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Wolfe is better. Eddie sounded great in 07-08 too, Dave sounded so much better in 07 it aint even in the same ball park. Another example:
    Eddie sounded good at times. He also sounded really damn bad.

He's been consistently good on this tour and I would certainly take better playing with less energy any day of the week.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

he must have been hammered. He can hardly stand up with out teetering. This is obviously a drinking night. He is so fucked up. Almost falls over when he picks up the drum stick. Actually kind of instering to get in his mind when he is hammered. Must be why he is putting up with Dave's busted voice right now. Love Dave so dont start hattin.
    Last edited by Van Dalen; 06.06.12 at 07:21 PM.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:04 AM
    Liked 1,939 Times in 785 Posts

Premium Member

Here's my .02
    - Dave and Wolf are showing more stage presence in 2012
    - Ed is playing at his best in 14+ years
    -Rare gems being played live some of us thought would never make a setlist (i.e. Hear About It Later, Women in Love, The Full Bug)
    - The band is touring on a new album
    -Everyone in the band appears in good shape. Ed did have some issues back in '07 - '08
    - I think the current tour is better than the last tour

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

I've always noticed that since 2004 when Ed has his shirt off he's gone. If he's wearing a shirt, he's good to go. Hence, this entire tour he's been on.

See, it's all about wardrobe, people!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.12.17 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Ed's playing is way way better this tour. Same with Wolf.
    Definately.....but I think Dave is having some issue with his voice, hopefully it's not permanent.

Dave sounded really good at the Cafe Wha show, but I wonder if he may be having an issue with his vocal chords.

On the record he sounds great, but his vocals may have been recorded a year, or so ago.

The poor folks play for keeps down here...They're the living dead. Nobody rules these streets at night like Van Halen!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:08 PM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

Between the two tours, it's clearly been a trade-off. Although Eddie certainly wasn't consistently terrible like he was most of the '04 tour, he did have some shaky nights on a number of shows near the tail-end of the '07 leg of that tour. This tour, none that I've seen or heard about. It's interesting to note that the right wrist surgery he had a couple years ago has helped him get back some of his so-called butterfly picking ability (as seen when he plays ATCWR) that was pretty much gone by the last tour.

Dave was clearly stronger vocally on the last tour. In fact, I think he was a better singer in 07/08 than he has been going back to the early 90's if not the mid 80's. It's true he's more "Dave The Entertainer" this tour and clearly more independently off his leash so to speak, but there's been some instances just in the show I caught last week in LA where his shtick just wears thin at times. He clearly models some of his stage rap on early 80's Bruce Springsteen telling stories, etc to preface songs like Ice Cream Man, but especially during ICM, it's unfocused and hangs barely by a thread in the context of the song, much moreso than the last tour. His story prefacing ICM on the last tour was much more entertaining and connected to the song.

It's a mystery why Dave continues to go for those high, almost squealing notes on some songs when he could easily sing them in a much more comfortable and appropriate range.

Wolfgang has really proven himself this tour. Not only as a musician and as a vocalist, but as an organizer and in some ways, a leader of his peers in this band. He wasn't bad the last tour, but he was almost invisible onstage. It doesn't matter if he's not rolling around the stage doing a bass solo and swilling JD, but he has developed a presence in the band that was sorely missed in the absence of Mike on the last tour.

Alex obviously looks older, but the difference between the last tour (in fact the last few tours) and this one in his energy and playing is almost nil.

The only thing I think outside the band themselves I would really comment on is the stage production and live sound. They clearly cut corners this tour to (understandably) save money on the production which is fine, as it's always been about the band and music, not any flashy visuals, and they rarely took advantage of the stage design and ego ramp they had on the last tour so all that stuff was really kind of wasted. The only thing I really wish they'd kept for this tour was last tour's video screen which was vastly superior to the one they're using this tour. The PA and overall live sound seems weaker this tour as well. The big plus this tour is Eddie using a wireless rig finally again.

Oh, and they really need to get someone in charge of the visuals that they use on this tour. The reliance on mostly B/W photography, the use of promo footage from the Roxy video shoots and the laughably inappropriate graphics where they're not called for ("Stay Frosty" 70's style graphic during "Women in Love" .... WTF?). Use the break to get someone else in charge of the on-screen visuals with a little more imagination.
    Last edited by T.B.; 06.06.12 at 08:25 PM.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not sure of what you just said, but we are still back to Dave not sounding as good as he did in 08.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

06.15.12 @ 12:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    It's a mystery why Dave continues to go for those high, almost squealing notes on some songs when he could easily sing them in a much more comfortable and appropriate range.
    I'm starting to agree with the theory that's floating around about Dave having a break in his range that's either painful, weak or both. In DTNA he originally sang up to the third (G) but now he avoids it by jumping up to the fifth (Bb) and only doing quick runs back down thru that G area. On new songs like Beats Workin' he overdubs with an octave up track in the verses, avoiding that range between the two lines.

I'd personally rather him drop an octave like Elton John had to instead of this new upper register gimmick. It's not the 80's anymore and grunge wiped out the necessity of a high tenor (which Dave never was anyhow) for rock anyway.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

The Dave I saw/heard at the Orlando show was really good, but I listen to a lot of 2008 clips and believe he sounded even better then. Hopefully the break will really help out or maybe he needs a surgery like Steven Tyler had (which I don't know much about, so maybe that operation wouldn't apply here).

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

11.24.17 @ 06:37 PM
    Liked 510 Times in 179 Posts

Yeah, Eddie was more energetic and didn't play as well-- vice versa this time. Dave was less energetic and sang better-- vice versa this time. If I didn't know better, it would seem that running and jumping a lot makes it sound sloppier than the records. Glad we've cleared this up.

Look it's a give and take, isn't it? When Dave just stood there and concentrated on singing in 2008, people complained that he wasn't being much of a showman. Now that he's putting on a performance closer to the old Diamond Dave, people are complaining that he doesn't sound perfect. Sorry, but if you look at the clip of, say, "Hear About It Later" from Oakland '81, the band is electric... and Dave plays fast and loose with the lyrics (if he says them at all), and is frequently off-key. And it's GREAT.

Is Dave's voice quite what it was then? No, it isn't, and I don't get why people are expecting it to be. Voices change over the years-- Sinatra at 25 didn't sound that much like Sinatra at 45. His range diminished, and he compensated stylistically. I MUCH prefer the Frank of the '60s to the Frank of the '40s.

Is Dave, in his late '50s, as physically capable as he was at 30? No, of course not. But he still does the job, especially physically. He is still the greatest showman in rock. Personally, I'm astounded at what this guy can still do.
    "There will always be a Holyfield or a Tyson, but there's only one Mohammad Ali. There will always be a new body building champion, but there's only one Arnold. And there's only one David Lee. I'm the fun in Van Halen, always will be." - David Lee Roth

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...yarcwoiovu.jpg