Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.13.15 @ 11:52 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Default Bigfoot on Vancouver

The boys were in Vancouver at the Queen Elizabeth Theater last night. I was in the center section, about 22 rows back. I've been to four Van Halen concerts (two in 2004, one in 2007, one in 2012).

I had an idea of what kind of show these guys could put on thanks to owning the "Get your Buzz On" DVD, but wow, these guys packed a hell of a punch live last night. From the show opener "Lighten Up" all the way to the "Rock Candy" finale, this show as fucking LOUD. I was at Van Halen last month too, and I don't know if it was the acoustics of the smaller QET or the way they tweaked their amps, but my ears are definitely ringing harder this morning.

It's incredible to me that Sammy is in his mid-60s. Of rock singers that I've seen concert DVDs, YouTube clips or even live in concert, there is nobody I've seen who sounds note-for-note exactly like he does on the record like Sammy does. Like him or not, there's not a drop off from his recording sound to his stage sound. He didn't miss a note, high low or in between, all night long and he played the crowd like a fiddle.

On that note, he also played his bandmates like a fiddle as well. The four of them were having a blast. At one point, Sammy said to Mikey "look at you, man! You're fucking ripped!" And Mikey replied "I do some of my best work when I'm ripped!"

There was so much smoke in the Q that it prompted Sammy to wonder aloud "is dope legal in Vancouver?", and he also talked about how he'd spent six weeks in Vancouver a long time ago recording for an album with "another band", and Mikey shook his head, prompting Sammy to walk over and put an arm around him going "but we don't have to talk about that, Mikey, we don't have to talk about that" and Mikey feigned burying his face in his hand. No names were mentioned, but it was obvious who they were referring to.

The set list as far as I can remember was:

Lighten Up
    Last Temptation
    Bigfoot
    Sexy Little Thing
    Soap on a Rope
    Up Next
    My Kinda Girl
    Down the Drain
    Something Going Wrong
    Turnin' Left
    Future in the Past
    Different Devil
    Rock Candy

Down the Drain, Turnin' Left and Future in the Past had some pretty big jam sessions in the middles and the ends. Overall, I think the Foot were on stage for about an hour and a half, so it was a bit of a short show but it was a fantastic one to watch. Sammy was signing all sorts of shit while still singing in the last couple of tunes, interacting with the fans in pure rock-God fashion.

My Kinda Girl is my favorite Chickenfoot song, so it was one of my big highlights. Oh Yeah, Soap on a Rope, Bigfoot, and Different Devil also really cooked live.

Fantastic show - get out and see these guys if you can, because it was dirt cheap and completely well worth it!
    The song ain't dirty it's really just the way we sing it...

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 504 Posts

Great review. Thanks for sharing. I saw the Foot twice in 2009 so I had an idea of what to expect and they managed to really impress me on this tour anyway. In my experience, Sam isn’t infallible live but he’s pretty good. It sounded like he started getting horse during the last few shows so it sounds like he got his second wind, which is great.

Only two shows left!
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

Last Online

11.21.16 @ 08:30 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This tour is over way too quick! God, I hope we see more CF dates -- Im a huge fan (as are most of you) and wanted so badly to see them atleast twice this year. Since i live in central Ohio my only 'close' option at 4 hours away was Detroit - which I drove to. Ohio got screwed out of road test shows and out of the DD tour. Im just thankful I have the one 2012 show and the 2 I saw in 2009.

Im glad they finally ditched "Alright Alright", why they chose that over "Up Next" on the early setlists boggled my mind.

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dewey View Post
    Im glad they finally ditched "Alright Alright", why they chose that over "Up Next" on the early setlists boggled my mind.
    And it's still mind boggling why they still aren't playing "Dubai Blues," arguably the best song on III.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.13.15 @ 11:52 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yeah, that was my one big complaint about the setlist - the omission of Dubai Blues. Arguably my fave off III. I actually like Alright, Alright as well, but I was really hoping to hear DB.

And yeah, no one sounded hoarse last night. Everyone was on their A Game.
    The song ain't dirty it's really just the way we sing it...

Favorite VH Album

VH, 5150, OU812, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/When It's Love
    Last Online

09.05.13 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Killer set list. I would maybe add Get it Up, but it is fine the way it is.