Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Default 06.01.12: Van Halen @ STAPLES Center - Los Angeles, CA - DISCUSSION/REVIEWS, etc.

Here's the live update and discussion thread for the first Los Angeles homecoming show. This will also serve as the thread for reviews, videos, pics, etc., as well.

If you are going to the show and want to update everyone what's going on, etc., this is the thread for doing so.

STAPLES Center
    Los Angeles, CA

1. Unchained
    2. Runnin’ With The Devil
    3. She’s The Woman
    4. Romeo Delight
    5. Tattoo
    6. Everybody Wants Some!!
    7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    8. China Town
    9. Hear About It Later
    10. (Oh) Pretty Woman
    11. Drum Solo
    12. You Really Got Me
    13. The Trouble With Never
    14. Dance The Night Away
    15. I’ll Wait
    16. And The Cradle Will Rock…
    17. Hot For Teacher
    18. Women In Love
    19. Beautiful Girls
    20. Ice Cream Man
    21. Panama
    22. Guitar Solo
    23. Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love
    24. Jump
    Last edited by Fontcow; 06.02.12 at 01:07 AM.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Song

Senorita aka Little Guitars
    Last Online

01.06.16 @ 09:18 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Great soundcheck...suspiciosly no as is...

Unchained. Romeo. Rwtd. Tattoo. Light up the sky

-------------------
    06/14/12 VIP San Diego, CA
    06/12/12 VIP Anaheim, CA
    06/09/12 VIP Los Angeles, CA
    06/01/12 VIP Los Angeles, CA
    05/01/12 VIP Tulsa, OK
    02/18/12 VIP Louisville, KY
    01/08/08 VIP Oklahoma City, OK
    12/30/07 Vegas, NV
    12/28/07 Vegas, NV
    11/25/07 VIP San Diego, CA
    09/29/07 VIP Greensboro, NC
    2004 Best of Both Worlds Tour, single date forgotten, Universal Amphitheatre, CA
    Numerous specific dates & places going back to the 70's erased by time, booze & drugs
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "“Van Halen music is whisky in a paper cup! Short doses and not every night, PLEASE!”

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Currently: 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Panama
    Last Online

05.30.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by FanSince70's View Post
    Great soundcheck...suspiciosly no as is...

Unchained. Romeo. Rwtd. Tattoo. Light up the sky
    Did Wolfie sing backup parts on Light Up The Sky?
    Thunder Mountain Brewing Company
    Owner and Brewmaster

Bottled: 2010 Imperial Bastard Stout (9.5% ABV)
    Bottled: 2011 Thunder Mountain Pale Ale (5.5% ABV)
    Fermenting: 2011 Thunder Mountain Irrish Ale (4.9% ABV)

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music. As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool." -Eddie Van Halen, 1996

On Fire
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

As we are leaving I got to say to Ed "Welcome Home" and got the return "Thank You" look in the eye. All is well here, could'nt be better!

-------------------
    06/12/12 VIP Anaheim, CA
    05/01/12 VIP Tulsa, OK
    12/30/07 Vegas, NV
    12/28/07 Vegas, NV
    2004 Best of Both Worlds Tour, single date forgotten, Universal Amphitheatre, CA
    Numerous specific dates & places going back to the 70's erased by time, booze & drugs
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "“Van Halen music is whisky in a paper cup! Short doses and not every night, PLEASE!”

On Fire
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evans5150 View Post
    Did Wolfie sing backup parts on Light Up The Sky?
    They both did. Ed totally impressed me with the forcefulness of his pipes into the mic. Sitting VIP land, all 4 of us here think so. Hanging out with wifey plus links members LightuptheSky and Chedalah drink Tequilla and beers..great great evening in progress

-------------------
    06/12/12 VIP Anaheim, CA
    05/01/12 VIP Tulsa, OK
    12/30/07 Vegas, NV
    12/28/07 Vegas, NV

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Looking forward to the reviews of this show. It is so cool that VIP's are getting soundcheck now. I know it's a Sammy era saying but it is also a Van Halen saying, LA, It's 5150 time.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 854 Times in 399 Posts

Premium Member

Default ..

i'm way excited for this show. there's something special about the Mighty VH playing their hometown. this shit started in Pasadena, i assume that's not far away. very cool.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

On Fire
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Jan is smiling down on his sons tonight. Great solo Ed. o

-------------------
    06/12/12 VIP Anaheim, CA
    05/01/12 VIP Tulsa, OK
    12/30/07 Vegas, NV
    12/28/07 Vegas, NV

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

From @mr_sams:

And so it starts! #VanHalen at Staples Center

Big ol' screen ‪#VanHalen

@ewrote:

Oh, yeah -- it's ON!!!!!! #VanHalen

@Wolfiesmom:

#VanHalen is kickin’ it tonight!

And, @Luchita_Libre:

Eddie winked at me. I know he did. "Everybody wants some! I want some too!!" #VanHalen

Favorite VH Album

all Roth Era!
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

01.17.17 @ 05:20 AM
    Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

Setlist?
    "Boldly going nowhere"

Last Online

01.09.13 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just got back from Staples. TOOOO DRUNK TO GIVE A REVIEW BUT IT WAS ANUNFUCKINGBELIEVABLY AWESOME SHOW!!!! Goodnight!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

Did anyone drop $995 to get the top VIP package?
    Little Dreamer

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

really good show. EVH had a new red Wolfgang with a matte finish and used it on tattoo, i'll wait, and cradle will rock. sounded much better than those art series charvels. kind of disappointed they did not play girl gone bad, full bug, or mean street.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:25 PM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

As expected, a very solid show. I picked up a 3rd row section 3 inside isle seat during last weekend's ticket drop on TM and I had people all around me who bought their tickets from agencies or were VIP buyers who were floored I "only" paid the comparatively minor $170 face value for my seat. Met a long time buddy from the VHML and BS'd for a bit before the show and later discovered that my business contact whom I gave my extra 6th row seat didn't make it in until the 4th song and had trouble with some punk who was in his seat.

Anyway, the band, especially Dave seemed really focused on nailing the songs. Eddie was pretty much spot on all night. Ditto for Wolfgang. From my vantage point only about 10 feet from the rail, it was pretty tough to see Alex behind his massive kit. Dave did have some ups and downs from song to song though. I thought Dave was pretty rough on Somebody Get Me A Doctor and it seemed like he was completely off-key between playing guitar and singing on the first half of Ice Cream Man up to when the band kicks in. It was interesting to watch Dave stick large lemon or lime wedges in his mouth a few times in-between songs which must be something for his throat - I dunno. All said though, while dave was a much better singer the '07 show I saw, he was much more "Dave" this show for better (some really funny improvs during some songs) or worse (the rambling dog rap before ICM put everyone back in their seats).

We got what has quickly become the "A" set, which is Romeo Delight and Cradle as the songs that are rotated in and out the set on alternating shows. If they stick to their plan, I'd guess the 2nd Staples show will get The Full Bug and hopefully Girl Gone Bad or Outta Love Again although it seems they are now only rotating the 4th song in the set.

I will say the one disappointment was the crowd. It may be because Staples is such a big and tall arena, it just swallows sound like nothing else, but there really wasn't too many instances where the crowd really made itself heard. Dance The Night Away got one of the biggest roars of approval when the band launched into it. The strangest thing was people would come right up to the front from the back of the floor and take pictures (or bug anyone around them to do it for them) of themselves mugging to their camera with the band playing right behind them. A couple times some goof would tap me as I'm watching the band asking me to take a photo of him and his girlfriend with the band as a backdrop. By mid show, one of the ushers was taking pictures like that for anyone who'd come up to the front!

I filmed 4 songs through the set, Unchained, Hear About It Later, You Really Got Me and Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love and shot a few photos, many of which look like crap due to the lighting. I'll post links to the YouTube vids in the morning once they've uploaded. Here's one of the better photos:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

FW
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.18.17 @ 12:32 PM
    Liked 25 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by T.B. View Post
    As expected, a very solid show. I picked up a 3rd row section 3 inside isle seat during last weekend's ticket drop on TM and I had people all around me who bought their tickets from agencies or were VIP buyers who were floored I "only" paid the comparatively minor $170 face value for my seat. Met a long time buddy from the VHML and BS'd for a bit before the show and later discovered that my business contact whom I gave my extra 6th row seat didn't make it in until the 4th song and had trouble with some punk who was in his seat.

Anyway, the band, especially Dave seemed really focused on nailing the songs. Eddie was pretty much spot on all night. Ditto for Wolfgang. From my vantage point only about 10 feet from the rail, it was pretty tough to see Alex behind his massive kit. Dave did have some ups and downs from song to song though. I thought Dave was pretty rough on Somebody Get Me A Doctor and it seemed like he was completely off-key between playing guitar and singing on the first half of Ice Cream Man up to when the band kicks in. It was interesting to watch Dave stick large lemon or lime wedges in his mouth a few times in-between songs which must be something for his throat - I dunno. All said though, while dave was a much better singer the '07 show I saw, he was much more "Dave" this show for better (some really funny improvs during some songs) or worse (the rambling dog rap before ICM put everyone back in their seats).

We got what has quickly become the "A" set, which is Romeo Delight and Cradle as the songs that are rotated in and out the set on alternating shows. If they stick to their plan, I'd guess the 2nd Staples show will get The Full Bug and hopefully Girl Gone Bad or Outta Love Again although it seems they are now only rotating the 4th song in the set.

I will say the one disappointment was the crowd. It may be because Staples is such a big and tall arena, it just swallows sound like nothing else, but there really wasn't too many instances where the crowd really made itself heard. Dance The Night Away got one of the biggest roars of approval when the band launched into it. The strangest thing was people would come right up to the front from the back of the floor and take pictures (or bug anyone around them to do it for them) of themselves mugging to their camera with the band playing right behind them. A couple times some goof would tap me as I'm watching the band asking me to take a photo of him and his girlfriend with the band as a backdrop. By mid show, one of the ushers was taking pictures like that for anyone who'd come up to the front!

I filmed 4 songs through the set, Unchained, Hear About It Later, You Really Got Me and Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love and shot a few photos, many of which look like crap due to the lighting. I'll post links to the YouTube vids in the morning once they've uploaded. Here's one of the better photos:

At the KC show Dave was biting on a orange between songs,interesting the things you pick up in the first row! I have to give props to the ushers/security in KC, they were all over people that would try to squeeze in. I waited 5yrs for this show and wanted to soak in every second, so I feel for you when people kept interrupting you.