Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Last Online

01.09.13 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default WSJ: U.S. still employs 5 million fewer workers than before the recession

The problem is that the employment hole is much bigger this time around. The U.S. lost nearly 8.8 million jobs from 2008 to 2010, more than in the previous four recessions combined. Nearly three years into the recovery, the U.S. still employs five million fewer workers than before the recession.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...309732816.html

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:37 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Wait 'til the dollar collapses...That's going to be mighty rough.
    "The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:01 AM
    Liked 6,712 Times in 3,730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus H Christ View Post
    Wait 'til the dollar collapses...That's going to be mighty rough.
    already has.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 06:55 AM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

The report of the Dollar's demise has been greatly exaggerated. Now the euro's another story.

Anyway about the 5 mill less jobs. Bout a year ago me and a buddy when to our high school reunion. We checked into the hotel and some of these nowadays have it where all you have to do is go to a kiosk and put in your credit card and it prints out all your info. Don't even have to go to the front desk. I remarked that it was kinda neat and my buddy said, yeah that's one less job they have to worry about staffing. Some of these jobs aren't coming back. It's a brave new world I guess.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

The new normal.Thanks to your normal leaders the Repubs and Dems. Time for Libertarians in the USA!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 742 Times in 409 Posts

Premium Member

It's pretty tough for anything to get done when you have a party in the senate that is pretty clear they're going to do anything they can to ensure the president fails. This isn't meant to be a political commentary -however it does astound me that one group is putting their vision ahead of fixing what is broken.

If the US is going to get out of this thing - they need collaboration on ALL fronts, groups working together for the good of the country.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:51 AM
    Liked 18,196 Times in 8,990 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    It's pretty tough for anything to get done when you have a party in the senate that is pretty clear they're going to do anything they can to ensure the president fails. This isn't meant to be a political commentary -however it does astound me that one group is putting their vision ahead of fixing what is broken.

If the US is going to get out of this thing - they need collaboration on ALL fronts, groups working together for the good of the country.
    It's not going to happen. Our leaders for some time now have put their own financial gain and the well being of their party far above their concern for what is best for the country. The US is on the decline, the only question that remains is whether it will be a hard or soft landing.

We are following the same pattern of every great empire before us, yet we, like those before us, think that it won't happen to us.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 1,351 Times in 927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood P. View Post
    Anyway about the 5 mill less jobs. Bout a year ago me and a buddy when to our high school reunion. We checked into the hotel and some of these nowadays have it where all you have to do is go to a kiosk and put in your credit card and it prints out all your info. Don't even have to go to the front desk. I remarked that it was kinda neat and my buddy said, yeah that's one less job they have to worry about staffing. Some of these jobs aren't coming back. It's a brave new world I guess.
    That's what I find scary. We have more and more people in this country and on this planet every day, but they find more and more ways of taking jobs away from live human beings all the time.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:35 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Thankfully our economy has only been postponed and not cancelled...

"Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

LAYOFFS SURGE 66% IN MAY OVER LAST YEAR

http://www.businessinsider.com/may-c...ob-cuts-2012-5

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:47 AM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post

I think you are referring to the Republicans who hold a majority in the House of Representatives, as opposed to the Senate. They were voted in because America was not happy with the lavish spending and bent priorities of the Democratic party. After the failed stimulus bill for "shovel-ready" jobs, their next priority was national healthcare, which besides the likelihood of it being struck down by Supreme Court, was a waste of time as it added to the deficit.

Despite what Obama's minions will have you believe, he was never interested in collaboration. This is the same President who famously said: "I won. Get over it," in a meeting with Republican leaders. Because of this, the Republicans were elected to stop the spending and make sure that Obama can't waste anymore money on pet projects and hand-outs to campaign donors.

I agree that we need collaboration, but to blame it on just one party is myopic, and frankly, a bit silly. Compare the performance of this President with just one Republican controlled house to President Clinton, who had an entire, admittedly obstructive, legislative branch. One has complained about not being able to accomplish anything while the other actually worked with the other side, balanced the budget, grew the economy, and got blowjobs during the whole thing.

Now THAT's how it's done.

The beauty of the Republicans controlling the house is that they can be voted out much quicker. So if they are, in fact, to blame for this mess, I'm sure the Democrats will have no trouble taking it back this year and should gain in the Senate.

The problem is that the general public does not agree (at least at this stage) and there's a chance the Republicans can take both the Senate as well as expand their lead in the house....that is if you believe the recent polling data, which you probably shouldn't.

As for this mess with jobs, I've never seen so many people bend over backwards to pat themselves (or their party leaders) on the back for shitting the bed. This is the worst economic recovery from a recession in anyone's lifetime. It's to the point now where people feel like this is how it's going to be; It's the "new normal." I don't accept that, and the rest of America shouldn't, either.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    That's what I find scary. We have more and more people in this country and on this planet every day, but they find more and more ways of taking jobs away from live human beings all the time.
    It does sound scary, but as recently as 2007 we had unemployment in the 4%'s, which admittedly seems like a long way away at this point. We can get there again, though. The funny thing is that the jobs that people thought would never come back are actually coming back. The drain of manufacturers to overseas is slowing (with some even coming back), customer service jobs are coming back to the States after many companies experienced backlash, and at the same time there is a whole new sector to our economy (the internet) that no one saw coming 20 years ago.

All of this doom and gloom is BS. We have been in much worse situations in the past (even recently) and have come out of it (late 70's early 80's comes to mind), so this time shouldn't be any different. The obstacles are different...maybe even more challenging, but this defeatist attitude that everyone has is just crap.

It seems a lot of people are lamenting about how the good days are gone while they type on their iPad, sitting in multi-room home with high-speed internet, while they watch satellite TV in the background.

We've created a nation full of helpless pussies, that's all. If people would stop looking to the government (or anyone else for that matter) to solve their problems and fix it themselves, we'd all be better off.

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    All of this doom and gloom is BS.
    BS?

GDP growth down, unemployment claims up

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...0,925641.story

Filings for unemployment aid at a 5-week high

http://www.suntimes.com/business/128...week-high.html

Job market looks dismal in May

http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/31/news...fits/index.htm

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVonDoom View Post
    BS?

GDP growth down, unemployment claims up

http://www.latimes.com/business/mone...0,925641.story

Filings for unemployment aid at a 5-week high

http://www.suntimes.com/business/128...week-high.html

Job market looks dismal in May

http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/31/news...fits/index.htm
    I think you misunderstood me there Captain. Or maybe I wasn't clear in what I was saying...either way.

What I mean is that all of this doom and gloom of "Oh shit...we're all fucked and it's only going to get worse. The world is fucking ending!" is BS.

Sure things are shitty right now. In my line of work I see it every day. But things can get better. We're not on some irreversible course of destruction or anything.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Meanwhile, things out there are actually getting worse. Unemployment up to 8.2% (and that is generously low to begin with), a paltry 69,000 jobs created last month. This after the previous month was downgraded from previous estimates.