Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: So Cal people

  1. #1
    Atomic Punk Eddymon's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.20.99
    Age
    48
    Location
    3800 foot level in the Sierra
    Posts
    15,110
    Favorite VH Album

    all of them
    Favorite VH Song

    If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

    Default So Cal people

    Where are some decent areas to stay near Universal Studios? I have looked at Burbank and Van Nuys area hotels so far. Obviously the ones closest to Universal are the most expensive but I am looking for a place not too far 10 miles or less as we are heading down in 3 weeks for a couple days in that area before heading to Disneyland afterward.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,990
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 11:04 AM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I am unfamiliar with the hotels in that area, though I did crash at the hotel right there in Universal City one night when my friend was in the top several on America's Got Talent. It was very nice.

    Also, when it comes to Burbank, the cops are out in force to hit you for any small road violation they can. Drive carefully through there.

    I'd also consider hitting up Warner Bros. Studio Tour which is right in that same area if you have a half day and the $ (it's about $45 dollars a ticket). Universal is cool (I had an annual pass there last year), and the new King Kong is awesome, and I hear great things about Transformers. The other rides are fun too. However, if you are really into movies and tv, then Warner Bros. will be a pleasant surprise. The trams are much smaller--about 8-10 people--and they tailor the tour to your tastes. They ask about your favorite movies and shows (look up what movies Warner Bros does) and will do the tour towards your tastes. You also get to get out and walk around. My gf and I were the first people they had had that really like Shameless on Showtime, so we got to walk around some of the sets. We also had a tram full of True Blood watchers, so we got to get out and walk around the outside facade of Merlotte's Bar.They also still have the Friends Central Perk set up and running and you get to walk right up to it. They also have a museum there with two stories of Harry Potter stuff from the movies, and a car museum (part of the tour) with the Burton and Nolan Batmobiles, the car from Gran Torino, the van from the Scooby Doo movies, a car from Harry Potter, and you walk right up to them.

    I really, really hope you already purchased your Disneyland tickets--like before the 20th--because the prices went way, way up a week ago last Sunday.

    Also, get ready for massive, MASSIVE crowds @ the Disneyland Resort. As an annual passholder there, I keep up on all the inside stuff. Avoid Sundays the 17th and 24th of June if at ALL possible. They are expecting essentially the biggest crowds ever at the Disneyland Resort those two Sundays

  3. #3
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,728
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 01:00 PM
    Likes
    1,265
    Liked 11,591 Times in 4,941 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    Where are some decent areas to stay near Universal Studios? I have looked at Burbank and Van Nuys area hotels so far. Obviously the ones closest to Universal are the most expensive but I am looking for a place not too far 10 miles or less as we are heading down in 3 weeks for a couple days in that area before heading to Disneyland afterward.
    Nothing.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk Eddymon's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.20.99
    Age
    48
    Location
    3800 foot level in the Sierra
    Posts
    15,110
    Favorite VH Album

    all of them
    Favorite VH Song

    If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I am unfamiliar with the hotels in that area, though I did crash at the hotel right there in Universal City one night when my friend was in the top several on America's Got Talent. It was very nice.

    Also, when it comes to Burbank, the cops are out in force to hit you for any small road violation they can. Drive carefully through there.

    I'd also consider hitting up Warner Bros. Studio Tour which is right in that same area if you have a half day and the $ (it's about $45 dollars a ticket). Universal is cool (I had an annual pass there last year), and the new King Kong is awesome, and I hear great things about Transformers. The other rides are fun too. However, if you are really into movies and tv, then Warner Bros. will be a pleasant surprise. The trams are much smaller--about 8-10 people--and they tailor the tour to your tastes. They ask about your favorite movies and shows (look up what movies Warner Bros does) and will do the tour towards your tastes. You also get to get out and walk around. My gf and I were the first people they had had that really like Shameless on Showtime, so we got to walk around some of the sets. We also had a tram full of True Blood watchers, so we got to get out and walk around the outside facade of Merlotte's Bar.They also still have the Friends Central Perk set up and running and you get to walk right up to it. They also have a museum there with two stories of Harry Potter stuff from the movies, and a car museum (part of the tour) with the Burton and Nolan Batmobiles, the car from Gran Torino, the van from the Scooby Doo movies, a car from Harry Potter, and you walk right up to them.

    I really, really hope you already purchased your Disneyland tickets--like before the 20th--because the prices went way, way up a week ago last Sunday.

    Also, get ready for massive, MASSIVE crowds @ the Disneyland Resort. As an annual passholder there, I keep up on all the inside stuff. Avoid Sundays the 17th and 24th of June if at ALL possible. They are expecting essentially the biggest crowds ever at the Disneyland Resort those two Sundays
    I know about the Disney stuff, but thanks. I will be there on the 24th, 25th & 26th. Going to Universal on the 22nd. Driving down that way on the 21st with the 23rd being a free day and we think we may head to the beach.
    I think we might just stay in Burbank unless I can find a great deal elsewhere.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,990
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 11:04 AM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddymon View Post
    I know about the Disney stuff, but thanks. I will be there on the 24th, 25th & 26th. Going to Universal on the 22nd. Driving down that way on the 21st with the 23rd being a free day and we think we may head to the beach.
    I think we might just stay in Burbank unless I can find a great deal elsewhere.
    Cool. Even though ya already know what I am about to write, perhaps someone else planning on going will read this, so I think it's worth noting again to plan accordingly for parking on June 24th (and the 17th). They're expecting crowds to outpace Leap Day, and that event brought the 5, 57, Katella, and Ball to a grinding halt for hours on end. For the first time in Disneyland history, on on June 17th and 24th, the Cast Member parking lot will be used for attendees, and employees will have to park at Anaheim Stadium and the Honda Center to be bused in. This will increase car capacity by 2000 spaces, but parking could become crazy considering they expect 100,000-125,000 people each on those two days. By contrast, an insanely busy day at Disneyland, like 4th of July, has attendance of about 70,000.

    Anyway, have fun!

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk onefootoutthedoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.15.01
    Age
    42
    Location
    Surf City, USA
    Posts
    8,033
    Last Online

    07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Likes
    10
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Is this all because of Carsland? Why else would it get so busy?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,990
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 11:04 AM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onefootoutthedoor View Post
    Is this all because of Carsland? Why else would it get so busy?
    Yes...and no. It's also because of people like me--annual passholders.

    In the last 4 years, the amount of passholders has basically doubled. Today there are 1 million people with an annual pass to Disneyland Resort. In the same amount of time, the average guest per annual passholder car has decreased from 4 to 2, making parking a major, major problem on busy days.

    Because of the way blockouts work, and because many local visitors find it easier to come on weekends, Sundays have actually begun to overtake Saturdays as the "busy" day. These are the last 2 Sundays, post-Carsland, are the last two before the two SoCal annual passes get blocked out for the summer

    The CA Adventure "remodel" actually started over 4 years ago when they began working on Toy Story Midway Mania. That was the beginning of the whole project. For about the last 3 years, though, CA Adventure has never not had construction walls up, blocking sections of the park. For the first time in 3 years, that won't be the case come June 15th. The walls around the two biggest areas of construction for the whole project, the entry way ("Buena Vista Street") and Carsland will come down for the first time.

    Usually, Disney gives previews for annual passholders. It's under the guise of a "Thank You," but it's really to keep the park from overcrowding when new stuff opens. When Star Tours (re)opened and when Ariel's Undersea Adventure opened, they offered previews to APs only. I rode Star Tours 3 times before it even opened to the public, for example. BUT, because they are cutting it SO close with BV St. and Carsland--for example, the inside of some buildings will NOT be done by the 15th--they can't do previews. Only about 10,000 of the 1 million APs will get a preview if they win the contest, or if they pay $50-$500 for a limited number of slots to go when the media see it (CA Adventure will be closed June 14th for this).

    I have been watching this stuff go up since they started. When you have people that pay what they do for APs, it really kills them to not be able to see this stuff when it opens (I've been to the park 65 times in the last 3 years, yet people who have spent far less money and go far less often will get to see this new stuff way before I do). I am very excited for it. But I won't go those two days. Going on the 17th or 24th will be insane.

  8. #8
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,728
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 01:00 PM
    Likes
    1,265
    Liked 11,591 Times in 4,941 Posts

    Default

    Disneyland is a ripoff.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,990
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 11:04 AM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Disneyland is a ripoff.
    It depends. $87 for 1 park 1 day and $125 for 2 parks 1 day is insane.

    However, I've gone 66 times since I got my first pass in August 2009 (Disney's website keeps track for you). That averages out to $10.28 per visit for me. Add to that that I don't feel the pressure to hit every ride on each visit, that I get perks on (most) new things to see them first, and that I get discounts on food and merchandise, it's a good value--for me.

    I found it a much better value than, say, Universal Studios for $80 a day or up to $169 for an annual pass. There's just not much to do. Once you hit the Studio Tour, Simpsons Ride, Jurassic Park and the Mummy, you've exhausted the only things worth doing more than once. They've added Transformers to that list now, but otherwise, meh. And Jurassic Park is actually pretty boring other than the drop at the end.

    Even the Studio Tour can kind of get old after a few times, though King Kong 360:3D is pretty badass.

    Waterworld sucks and is outdated--one reason why it is being removed with the Gibson Amphitheater, Shrek 4D is one-time only, The Special Effects stage is one time only, the Animal show is one time only, Terminator 2: 3D is outdated one on time only. The House of Horros is pretty awesome, but it scared the crap out of me and is cool once. It's not for kids.

    That's why I suggested Warner Bros. to Eddymon, but I assume he's more into the theme park part of Universal than the backlot part. Warner Bros. is MUCH cooler if you're going for backlot/filming/set location stuff.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 05.29.12 at 05:48 PM.

  10. #10
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,728
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 01:00 PM
    Likes
    1,265
    Liked 11,591 Times in 4,941 Posts

    Default

    It doesn't depend on anything. If you have a family it's ridiculously expensive.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  11. #11
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,990
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 11:04 AM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Then they've pulled the wool over a lot of people's eyes. In 8 years here's your supply and demand:

    2004
    1 day, 1 park: $49.75
    1 day, both parks: $69
    SoCal Slct AP: $99
    SoCal AP: $129
    Deluxe AP: $179
    Premium AP: $279

    2012
    1 day, 1 park: $87
    1 day, both parks: $125
    SoCal Slct AP: $269
    SoCal AP: $329
    Deluxe AP: $469
    Premium AP: $649

    TOTAL ATTENDANCE
    2004 19 million, 2010 22.2 million (last avail. numbers. 1st quarter 2012, Disneyland Resort broke a record for highest attendance ever, expect to break single-day records in summer 2012).

    Attendance went up 17% while prices went up 81% to 133%, and they expect attendance records this year. It may be expensive, but more and more people find it a value at higher and higher prices.

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk LLFHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.08.04
    Location
    Secret Witness Protection Location
    Posts
    31,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

    Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

    07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Likes
    34
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    ".....and we can charge anything we want. 2,000 a day....10,000 a day and people will pay it!"
    "Donald, this park was not built only to cater to the super-rich."
    "Oh sure....sure. We'll have a 'coupon day' or something."
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

    [sigpic][/sigpic]


    Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,990
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 11:04 AM
    Likes
    816
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    ".....and we can charge anything we want. 2,000 a day....10,000 a day and people will pay it!"
    "Donald, this park was not built only to cater to the super-rich."
    "Oh sure....sure. We'll have a 'coupon day' or something."
    Nice JP reference, haha.

    But Disney has the best problem in the world. Attendance year-round is so heavy that it's starting to wreak havoc on the infrastructure of the park. And to meet demand they keep raising prices...and more people even come. They get to continue to raise prices to meet demand until it levels out and they see normal growth.

    Brett's not wrong...but neither am I. A yearly trip for a 4-member family could cost about $1500-$2000 if you stay the night and go for two days. That's if you're LOCAL--within a two hour drive or so--and yes, that is insane.

    But, if Brett, who lives in SoCal, got the SoCal annual passes for the family, it would cost a total of about $1400 with parking. He and the fam could go 215 days out of the year instead of 2, and they could make payments with no interest. That would be $348 down and $89 a month (if you divide the total by month evenly, it works out to $118 a month). This works out even better because you can drive there and back in a day and not have to worry about staying too long. When the gf and I go, the longest we stay is about 6 hours, and on a busy day we'll hit 5 rides and on a good day we can hit 7 or 8 utilizing the Fastpass system. Sometimes we stay a little longer and see a show (World of Color, Fantasmic).

    By contrast, a dinner out and 3D movie with the kids is about $120. In that comparison, I wouldn't call Disneyland a rip off (especially considering some of the crappy movies and crappy service I get sometimes).

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk Eddymon's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.20.99
    Age
    48
    Location
    3800 foot level in the Sierra
    Posts
    15,110
    Favorite VH Album

    all of them
    Favorite VH Song

    If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

    Default

    I am going to Universal because my company owns it and we get a a free day for myself and 3 guests. So I am taking my son, girlfriend and her son. We are getting a 5 day park hopper at Disney and using 3 days and a co-worker of my GF is going a couple days after us and they are using the othe 2 days. It will average out to be about $600 for the 4 of us for 3 days in the park.
    The hotels around the park are expensive and we found a Days Inn a mile away with a free shuttle to and from the park.

    Kind of going on the cheap (making our own sandwiches and such).

    Also what beach would you recommend for a day down there? Both LA and Orange counties.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

  15. #15
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    46
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    68,728
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 01:00 PM
    Likes
    1,265
    Liked 11,591 Times in 4,941 Posts

    Default

    Making payments to go to Disneyland on an annual pass? That's just dumb. A friend of mine at work is doing that, I told her she's crazy. Be in debt to Disneyland?
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. 545 PEOPLE
    By ScottyBHarris in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07.30.09, 02:23 PM
  2. I want some people to IM me!
    By The Elfoid_TFS in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08.10.08, 03:29 AM
  3. C'mon people
    By Eddymon in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01.25.01, 10:52 AM
  4. Who are these people?
    By Mulva in forum Van Halen 101
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01.07.01, 04:46 PM
  5. Here it is people
    By Unchained Wolfie in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08.25.00, 11:41 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •