Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:54 AM
    Liked 1,487 Times in 1,016 Posts

Premium Member

Default Pastor Sean Harris: Crack your 4 year old sons limp wrist and punch him.

What is it about North Carolina pastors these days?

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 3,117 Times in 1,828 Posts

Premium Member

Ya know, if Mitt Romney sat for 20 years in the pews of a church where this type of stuff came out, amongst other stuff...he'd have to drop out of the race (which would leave Paul--hey, maybe I hope this happens!)

But no one gave a giant shit about Rev. Wright.

Anyway, this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. I'll admit that this type of rhetoric isn't ubiquitous, but it also isn't queer (see how I did that?) Denying that these people exist and that they have no choice is not just to deny science, it's a denial of common sense.

My theory is that the real reason acceptance and approval of this behavior will never happen by a majority of the religious, especially from the top down, is that the rest of it would start to unravel.

I don't mean this personally, nor do I say it with hate. I just think it's the truth.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:54 AM
    Liked 1,487 Times in 1,016 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Ya know, if Mitt Romney sat for 20 years in the pews of a church where this type of stuff came out, amongst other stuff...he'd have to drop out of the race (which would leave Paul--hey, maybe I hope this happens!)

Anyway, this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. I'll admit that this type of rhetoric isn't ubiquitous, but it also isn't queer (see how I did that?) Denying that these people exist and that they have no choice is not just to deny science, it's a denial of common sense.

My theory is that the real reason acceptance and approval of this behavior will never happen by a majority of the religious, especially from the top down, is that the rest of it would start to unravel.

I don't mean this personally, nor do I say it with hate. I just think it's the truth.
    It's more than just a gay issue. This guy is encouraging child abuse. If he has children his family should be investigated.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 7,892 Times in 4,616 Posts

Premium Member

What would unravel in your opinion? 'Organized' religion? Speaking as a Catholic, the faith has survived 2,000 years and has had to deal with every issue under the sun. I think it's on pretty solid ground.

Also what "science" proves that they have no choice? Has some kind of "gay" gene been identified? I tend to think that they ARE born that way but I don't know.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    It's more than just a gay issue. This guy is encouraging child abuse. If he has children his family should be investigated.
    Yup - and to me, the notion of "punching" your little boy for something he is too young to understand (or, indeed, just punching him, regardless) is far more abhorrent than the possibility that he might be gay...
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.25.15 @ 10:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I really don't know how you can see a horrendous story like this and immediately think "Reverend Wright!!! Reverend Wright!!!".

I know the hatred of Barack Obama runs deep for some, but on some level you've gotta admit that is a real stretch...

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

why would you think that?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 18,172 Times in 8,981 Posts

It is going to come to pass that churches that don't perform gay marriages will lose their non-profit status due to discrimination against a protected class.

That will be the end of it here in the US.

There will always be a small minded portion of the population that has a problem with it, but it will eventually go away.

If a guy goes to work each day, works hard, pays his taxes, and doesn't break any laws, I really couldn't care less if he is butt banging his buddy in the evening. Doesn't harm anyone, not sure why people care.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

Liked 6,711 Times in 3,729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    It is going to come to pass that churches that don't perform gay marriages will lose their non-profit status due to discrimination against a protected class.

That will be the end of it here in the US.

There will always be a small minded portion of the population that has a problem with it, but it will eventually go away.

If a guy goes to work each day, works hard, pays his taxes, and doesn't break any laws, I really couldn't care less if he is butt banging his buddy in the evening. Doesn't harm anyone, not sure why people care.
    I find it very hard to believe that the govt will get that involved in who the church chooses to marry. Any govt that attempts such a move would not only not get re-elected but would likely be signing their death certificate as a political party. At least that's what would happen up here.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So very manly and masculine to punch 4 year olds! This guy has issues if that's where his mind is at. He didn't mis-speak as much as reveal himself.

There seems to be this weird idea out there that being gay is a natural temptation that straight men have be vigilant and actively resist. Or that gays can "recruit" people to be gay. Um, no. If you are straight it's really a non-issue. So no need to crack a child's wrist or punch him for being effeminate. That would be projecting your own hang-ups on to a child.
    Staying Frosty

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by phillybri76 View Post
    I really don't know how you can see a horrendous story like this and immediately think "Reverend Wright!!! Reverend Wright!!!".

I know the hatred of Barack Obama runs deep for some, but on some level you've gotta admit that is a real stretch...
    Sweet!

Politics and religion in the same thread, this should be good!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dr5115 View Post
    Sweet!

Politics and religion in the same thread, this should be good!
    Lol...two of the things that separate us the most as humans.

I approved this post. Amen.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    I didn't take his language as literal. When he said "crack his wrist" he used his off hand to move his "limp wrist" back into a "normal" position (read: he didn't pretend to mangle or snap his own wrist--he just corrected its position).

Besides, limp-wristedness isn't some foolproof gay marker. It's rooted in stereotype, yes, but a limp wrist today is used way more by people to imitate being gay, not by gays.

When he said to give him a nice punch, I didn't take that as literal either. I say things like that all the time ("I want to punch that guy in the face") to mean that I dislike that person, not that I want to commit a violent act against the person. That same cliche was taken a step further in, say, Anchorman, with jokes about punching Christina Applegate in the ovary, etc. I took it in the same way as "man up"--get tough, toughen the kid up.

Again, this is another gay stereotype--that they're not tough or "manly".

So, while his methods were stupid, I didn't take this as advocating child abuse (though some in the audience might) and I don't think he was either. Mental abuse? Yes. I believe that trying to force your children straight if they're gay amounts to abuse.

If there are videos out there of him being much more specific in using physical abuse to "train" children, then I will admit I am wrong. But with this small sample size, I think he just used really dumb language to get his point across.

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    What would unravel in your opinion? 'Organized' religion? Speaking as a Catholic, the faith has survived 2,000 years and has had to deal with every issue under the sun. I think it's on pretty solid ground.

Also what "science" proves that they have no choice? Has some kind of "gay" gene been identified? I tend to think that they ARE born that way but I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    why would you think that?
    I knew that this would spark some outrage, but I honestly didn't mean for it to do so. Here's the thing--I'm atheist via agnosticism, but I am much closer to the Adam Carolla end of the atheist spectrum than the Christopher Hitchens end. But that doesn't mean I don't mind discussing ideas, and I do often in person with those who believe. I must point out that I think it is very important for those discussions to be amicable and mutually beneficial. I learn; they learn. Opinions rarely change, but knowledge increases. Discussions don't get heated, and both sides are respected. I do admit that I have made mistakes on here with off-hand comments I might make in private with like-thinkers being easier to make public with the anonymity of the board, so I will try not to do that here.

I respect many of the religious people that I know, and most of them are great people, and I respect their right in their beliefs and practices. But that doesn't change the idea that I believe that it's all a bunch of nonsense, and I think must be mutually and equally acknowledged. I believe many churches use religion to make lots and lots of money off of people, but also that there are many within those churches where their beliefs are pure. I think there are also many atheists who use their position as a leader in those ideas to make money. It goes both ways.

There are obviously fundamental ideas that makes Christianity, well, Christianity. Some are more important than others (I wouldn't equate homosexuality and the idea that Jesus is the son of God). My theory--read: what I think--is that there are certain things were churches, mostly, but also members and Christians must stand their ground or risk the continued chipping away at other controversial ideas or interpretations...or even some pf the fundamental basics.

One of those is gay marriage. If gay marriage is allowed, then it implicitly equates homosexual relations to heterosexual relations. While not all churches or biblical scholars agree on the interpretations of the passages that have led to these ideas, this would be a major blow to "Judeo-Christian values" in the West--again, my theory.

What other ideas and beliefs of most sects of Christianity, at that point, would be in danger?

Again, this isn't meant to personally attack anyone for their beliefs, nor is it to advance ideas on secularism. I meant it only as my own personal belief that this is a major battle that religions and churches don't want to lose.

As far as a "gay gene," one has not been found, but that's a pretty simplistic way to think about it, as more than just genetic markers indicate and influence sexual behavior. But to think that people have made a reasoned choice to be gay throughout history, risking persecution, hatred, and death when they could easily just have relations with the gender they actually ARE sexually attracted to is a "denial of common sense," as I wrote. To ignore the evidence of the occurrence of homosexuality in thousands (and growing) species on this planet, as well as the complexity of sexuality, is ignoring science, even if it is at its infancy.

Quote Originally Posted by phillybri76 View Post

First, I don't hate Obama even if I didn't vote for him (nor did I vote for McCain). He seems like a nice guy, he seems to mean well, he's made a good living for himself, he's worked hard to be educated, and he has raised seemingly a nice family. Nothing to hate.

However, I DO see a discrepancy in outrage between right-wing Christianity and left-wing Christianity.

IMO, Obama should have suffered more scrutiny for sitting in the pews of Wright's church for 20-something years, and a hypothetical Romney, if he sat through sermons like the one above for 20 years, he should suffer more scrutiny too--but IMO he would suffer MUCH more than Obama did. That's all.

You don't need laws against things that don't happen. If Churches and politics didn't tend to intertwine, then we wouldn't have a first amendment the way we do. With an election coming up and gay marriage/rights hot-button issues today, I don't think it's unreasonable to think about the politics of this. And this guy's IMO ridiculousness--yes, IMO the teachings of many churches on homosexuality is ridiculous--made me think of Wright's ridiculousness.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

If there are videos out there of him being much more specific in using physical abuse to "train" children, then I will admit I am wrong. But with this small sample size, I think he just used really dumb language to get his point across.
    That's as maybe, Lovemachine, but you are evidently an educated individual, capable of distinguishing between literal and non-literal language. Sadly, not everyone has that mental capacity. By the law of averages, there will be members of this man's congregation who are lacking the intelligence required to see through his rhetoric and who, as a consequence of his ill-conceived metaphors, may well go home and physically punish their 'erring' offspring.

It's not just "dumb language" therefore but dangerous.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    That's as maybe, Lovemachine, but you are evidently an educated individual, capable of distinguishing between literal and non-literal language. Sadly, not everyone has that mental capacity. By the law of averages, there will be members of this man's congregation who are lacking the intelligence required to see through his rhetoric and who, as a consequence of his ill-conceived metaphors, may well go home and physically punish their 'erring' offspring.

It's not just "dumb language" therefore but dangerous.
    I don't disagree. I accounted for that in my response, though. Irresponsible, yes on both sides. But my first reaction was the abuse of forcing children to live a way they weren't born to, not the metaphors that many might confuse :-)