Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 06:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Telecaster advice

Anyone got any advice on what makes a good gigging country sounding telecaster? I've only owned strats and wolfgangs so I'm very naive on telecasters.

New ones are anywhere from $200 to $2000. I really don't care what a guitar looks like, just want it to sound good. I want to get that compressed/plucky sound like Brent Mason. I got the right amp and compressor so all that is left is the tele.

Here is one on craigslist. Does this sound like a good deal for $500?

CRAIGSLIST AD--------------------------------------------
    Fender Nashville Telecaster Deluxe. The body is red and is in 99.9% perfect. The pick-ups have been changed to duncans and the middle pickup is a hotrail. Sounds super hot, great variety with the 5 way selector switch. Have also put a polarity reveral toggle switch to help with feedback problems. The set up(by Brett M.) is fresh with elixr strings and sounds and plays great. The frets have wear and if you are looking for new buy new as this has been played. Has the sperzel locking tuners. No buzzing and it has a few nicks in it but not bad but the kid who had it before me tried to learn slide playing and I believe that is where they came from. I also have a fender hard case with it that is in good shape. The case pickups and sperzel machine heads were almost the asking price alone so it's like getting the guitar for free.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Personally I prefer my Tele's to be 2 pickup guitars with a Quater Pounder in the neck and a Broadcaster at the bridge, with 3 compensated brass saddles. I'm also a Rosewood fingerboard guy.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:11 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

There are some guys out there who know everything there is to know about the Telecaster. I am not one of them. I can only offer this- around a year or so ago I decided I wanted some sort of Tele to shake up the cobwebs with my playing (the reason I am now looking for a Flying V, probably going with the Epi 58 reissue). The used market is of course the best bang for the buck but I just didn't want to deal with any potential headaches. So I looked at the entire lineup of current Fender and Squier Telecaster models and read tons of reviews. I ended up "low-balling" it and going with a Squier Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster in butterscotch blonde. Man, the workmanship on this guitar is incredible! And it has "that sound" you are looking for when purchasing a Tele. I felt a bit guilty about purchasing a MIC guitar over a USA model but the guilt subsided quickly when I looked at my checking account balance.

(butterscotch blonde model with alnico V pickups)
    http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-0303027-LIST

(vintage blonde model with alnico III pickups)
    http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-0303025-LIST

For my purposes the pickups sound excellent as well and I have no intention on changing them. They still sound clear even with a bit of dirt added, and you can get a great bluesy sound from the neck pu. The bridge pickup has that nice chimey bite to it. The body on these is made of pine and it is very resonant acoustically with the guitar unplugged. It has the vintage three brass barrel bridge with strings through the body. From all of the positive reviews that I have read on this particular guitar I do not think I lucked out with my example.

Whatever you decide on, good luck! After picking up this model now I think every guitarist needs a Tele in their arsenal. And don't forget that Page even used one all over the place in the early LZ days.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I definitely prefer brass saddles. The Joe Barden compensated ones are very nice. I also recommend the complete Barden bridge as an inexpensive, but tonally awesome, upgrade.

The Duncan pickups recommended by Tommywho are a quality recommendation. Also look at the Antiquity pickups for Tele's by Duncan. Worth the cost of admission.

The Nashville Tele's have the Fishman powerbridge and the center pickup. I've done alot of reversal's on these for local gigging players and have yielded great live guitars with minimal cost. Basically, they've replaced the bridge/saddles/5way switch and pots, leaving the neck and bridge pickup and adding a 3 way switch.

Just a suggestion.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

You could just roll your own, like this.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have a USA made 1st edition Roadworn butterscotch Tele and it kicks ass.
    I spent several hours adjusting the spring tension and saddle elevation and still keeping the innotation dead on. The guitar plays and sounds sweet. They are a hard guitar to find and I DO NOT recommend the MIM version at all.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    I have a USA made 1st edition Roadworn butterscotch Tele and it kicks ass.
    I spent several hours adjusting the spring tension and saddle elevation and still keeping the innotation dead on. The guitar plays and sounds sweet. They are a hard guitar to find and I DO NOT recommend the MIM version at all.
    There's never been anything but an MIM version. If it's US made then it's a Relic and that's a Custom Shop piece.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    You could just roll your own, like this.

Sorry I haven't given more details but I've had a busy week.

Anywho...

Specs:
    Body: Warmoth Northern Ash finished with StewMac ColorTone Cherry Red dye and sealed in with Formby's low-gloss Tung oil
    Ferrules: Warmoth
    Neck: AllParts TMO-V with a new nut, fret level, and oil finish from atrox at Harmony-Central.com
    String retainer: Fender Original Vintage Round (never liked Strat-style string retainers on a Tele headstock)
    Neck plate: AllParts (the holes were smaller than the Fender plate I had, so I felt a bit more secure about the screws not squeeking through somehow)
    Tuners: Gotoh Kluson style
    Bridge: Wilkinson bridge plate from GuitarFetish with Fender '52 RI saddles (didn't like the compensated saddles)
    Pickguard: Warmoth single-layer .060 glossy black
    Pickups: BG-Pups underwound BG Bucker (neck) and overwound '60s-style Tele (bridge)
    Controls plate: Fender
    Switch: Standard 3-way with barrel switch tip
    Volume: 500K CTS
    Tone: 250K Fender No-Load with .022uF cap (may be replaced with a standard 250K CTS pot)
    Knobs: Tele flat tops from AllParts
    Straplocks: Schaller

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

yup, the Roadworn's are all MIM.
    I have played some really fantastic MIM Tele's and own a couple myself. I also have some USA's and an original '59 (technically its my dads but I have it here..lol).
    Some of the Squire Tele's are great too. No snobbery here!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Washburn Laredo
    Hamer T-51

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Forgive me for intruding in the guitar forum as I'm not a guitar player but I do appreciate the craft. I'm sure all you guitar players know and have seen one of the best on the Telecaster, if not THE best. I love the sound of this particular guitar, especially the rockabilly twang.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

some people say The Telecaster is Grandpa's guitar ...... I say nothin' else sounds like a Tele ... and grandpa sure could play

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post

Forgive me for intruding in the guitar forum as I'm not a guitar player but I do appreciate the craft. I'm sure all you guitar players know and have seen one of the best on the Telecaster, if not THE best. I love the sound of this particular guitar, especially the rockabilly twang.

I have a buddy that rep'd Rainsong Guitar's back in the late 90's. We were at the Greater Southwest Guitar Show in Dallas and James Burton came over and sat down and jammed with the two of us for about 20 minutes. We signed each other's shit after we got James' autograph. Rick Roach was the other guy's name. Great player too, guitar/cello etc. sounds familiar huh? I have that brochure stuffed away somewhere.

James Burton is a great player. Innovative cat too. First guy to use light guage strings and bend like that. Actually, he used banjo strings at first.
    EDDIE IS THE ULTIMATE ROCK DOG!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by GilmourD View Post
    There's never been anything but an MIM version. If it's US made then it's a Relic and that's a Custom Shop piece.
    Just saw this post. Man, I haven't touched the tele in over a year until I read this. It is indeed a Custom Shop Relic !!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    Just saw this post. Man, I haven't touched the tele in over a year until I read this. It is indeed a Custom Shop Relic !!!

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150